Fantasy matchup: 2013 UNT DT team vs 2017 Fine team

Harry

Interesting to consider this fantasy matchup.  2013 had the better D but 2017 O has put up huge numbers.  2013 did not get to the championship game but was damn close.  2013 has more seniors and vets.  2017 had better skill positions.  Two of the best in modern history, perhaps all of our history.  

Just now, Cr1028 said:

As much as i appreciate what Littrell is doing for us, the 2013 was just as much player led as it was coach led. My honest feeling is the '13 team would've smacked this one in the mouth. The FAU game never came close to happening for the '13 team. 

while FAU didn't happen, Tulane and UTSA did.   We will see now if the 2017 team can beat the teams it is supposed to, unlike the 2013 team.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

while FAU didn't happen, Tulane and UTSA did.   We will see now if the 2017 team can beat the teams it is supposed to, unlike the 2013 team.

We lost by a combined 11 points in those two games in 2013. 2017 FAU surpassed that margin 8 minutes into the 1st quarter. 2013 never got blown out.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

I think the 2013 team wins, and I think the thread title misses the reasons that would happen.  DT vs Fine could be held static (though I would take Fine if forced to choose) and nothing changes.

The special teams of that 2013 squad would put up 14 points alone.  The 2013 o-line and running game would control the clock and wear down the depth of this year’s defense by mid 3rd quarter.  

The 2013 defense had a much better overall secondary and a vastly better pass rush (2013 could send the front 4 and get pressure whereas I consistently see teams pick up this year’s blitz).  Given that GH is married to throwing, even when the running game is effective, 3rd and long would be a constant reality for this 2017 squad.  

With all of this said, if you asked me whether this 2017 squad’s youngsters would beat the 2017 squad when they become seniors...yes

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The 2013 team was a veteran team with a much better defense.   However, those of you are think they would have an easy time with the current team are misled.  The 2013 team as stated didn't suffer a complete disaster like the FAU game but did lose to mediocre teams including Ohio, UTSA and Tulane.  Exactly, the type of teams that the current version of NT has been able to grind out victories against.  

The 2013 also drew probably the worse team in the nation to go to a bowl game in UNLV.  

The current team still has maybe 5 games to go in this season, so it is premature to rank this team.   IMO, they could definitely end up better than the very good 2013 version of NT football. 

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The current team still has maybe 5 games to go in this season, so it is premature to rank this team.   IMO, they could definitely end up better than the very good 2013 version of NT football. 

It is all about if he best version of these two teams show up.  I think the offenses great numbers and skill position talent are moot if Fine never gets a chance to survey the defense post snap.  I don't think 2017 O-Line would be able to protect against 2013's D-LIne.  Now if 2017's defense plays up to what I believe their potential is with a healthy English then we are looking at a toss up game with one big play making the difference.  With 2013's special teams being better I would still lean toward them winning by a FG or less. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The 2013 team was a veteran team with a much better defense.   However, those of you are think they would have an easy time with the current team are misled.  The 2013 team as stated didn't suffer a complete disaster like the FAU game but did lose to mediocre teams including Ohio, UTSA and Tulane.  Exactly, the type of teams that the current version of NT has been able to grind out victories against. 

Mediocre as in they were all bowl-eligible with 7 wins?

SMU, FAU, and us all have 6 wins at this point. Does that make all 3 teams slightly better than mediocre?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

Ummm....Chancellor against our current Special Teams?

This is the only thing that would sway me.    I think that nasty 2013 OL would push 2017's defense all over the field for some very long, sustained drives keeping the 2017 offense off the field.   However, 2017's offense would STILL score points on Zach/Sarge/Trice/Lee/et. al.    It would be a low-scoring game.

But if the 2013 D forced punts (which, no doubt, they would)...  look out for Brelan VS 2017 STs.

• Lovely Take 1

2013 team would come close to running the table against this year's schedule and opponents.  They would lose 1 they shouldnt cause of Mac and DT having a bad day, so 11-1.  

The 2017 team may win 5 or 6 vs the 2013 schedule.

The 2017 offense is not that prolific guys.  Please stop.  It's a huge improvement and in a few years it should be unstoppable, but even this past week, it did not win the game like that.  Needed lots of help and stops from the defense.

• Upvote 2