Looking ahead... a hypothetical

MeanGreenTexan

Preface:  I'm fully-aware of the "one-game-at-a-time" mantra, and I fully buy-in.   I expect the players are not looking ahead as I am here.

That said...

I'm just going to assume UNT takes care of business against UTEP & Rice.

11/18, FAU plays FIU in Boca Raton. 
If FIU were to win that game, and UNT & FIU win out, while FAU also wins their remaining games, all 3 would be at 7-1 in conference play.   FIU would own the tiebreaker against FAU for the East due to the head-to-head win.   How then would the C-USA championship game location be determined between UNT & FIU?

According to this link:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/c-usa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/tiebraker.pdf

Two-team tie to determine host: 
1. Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall Conference USA play.
2. If tied, head to head between tied teams.
3. If still tied, team with highest BCS ranking.

I doubt either team would be included in the CFP ranking.  So what criteria would be used to determine host location?   A coin flip?

Otherwise, if FAU wins out, I am certain the guys will be licking their chops to fly back to Boca Raton on 12/2 for another crack at the Owls, and this time, take care of business.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Preface:  I'm fully-aware of the "one-game-at-a-time" mantra, and I fully buy-in.   I expect the players are not looking ahead as I am here.

That said...

I'm just going to assume UNT takes care of business against UTEP & Rice.

11/18, FAU plays FIU in Boca Raton. 
If FIU were to win that game, and UNT & FIU win out, while FAU also wins their remaining games, all 3 would be at 7-1 in conference play.   FIU would own the tiebreaker against FAU for the East due to the head-to-head win.   How then would the C-USA championship game location be determined between UNT & FIU?

According to this link:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/c-usa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/tiebraker.pdf

Two-team tie to determine host: 
1. Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall Conference USA play.
2. If tied, head to head between tied teams.
3. If still tied, team with highest BCS ranking.

I doubt either team would be included in the CFP ranking.  So what criteria would be used to determine host location?   A coin flip?

Otherwise, if FAU wins out, I am certain the guys will be licking their chops to fly back to Boca Raton on 12/2 for another crack at the Owls, and this time, take care of business.

Maybe opponents winning %, opened winning % or maybe even points/allowed? Also, no idea if LK gets a vote but SL does, SL could case a vote for UNT potentially and win it that way? 

This is when UNT needs to run UTEP/Army/Rice out of the house.. Sorry to them but it maybe needed...

• Lovely Take 2

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Maybe opponents winning %, opened winning % or maybe even points/allowed? Also, no idea if LK gets a vote but SL does, SL could case a vote for UNT potentially and win it that way? 

This is when UNT needs to run UTEP/Army/Rice out of the house.. Sorry to them but it maybe needed...

1st bold:  Do you mean Butch Davis @FIU?   ... Since Kiffin is @FAU.  If it comes down to UNT/FAU, the tiebreaker is already set.

2nd bold: Totally agree.  Pedal to the metal.

• Upvote 1

It would come down to our regular season winning percentages. We are 6-3 while FIU is 6-2. FIU was going to play Indiana earlier in the season, but had that game cancelled due to a hurricane. Indiana would have likely been a loss though. 6-2>6-3. FIU was able to pick up a last minute game against UMass @ FIU. UMass @ FIU is a MUCH more winnable game than FIU @ Indiana. Our 3 losses are to SMU, Iowa, & FAU. Their 2 losses are to MTSU & UCF. If they run the table all the way through we’ll play @ FIU. If they run their conference schedule, but then lose their last game to UMass, then more tiebreakers will be discussed.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I believe that FIU game against UMass only gets played if FIU fails to qualify for the conference championship game. 

I have seen no definitive tie breakers or procedures for hosting. In fact, I believe the actual rules of competition state something to the effect of TBD regarding hosting tiebreaks when there is no head to head. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I believe that FIU game against UMass only gets played if FIU fails to qualify for the conference championship game.  

FYI: A FIU fan posted this on the CUSA board:  "FIU will only play UMass if we are not in the CCG, not sure that would help you with hosting. A two loss and East champs FAU maybe a better shot at UNT hosting."

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Absolutely!  We need the best overall season record we can possibly achieve.  Helps perception of UNT as a football school AND recruiting.

NO MERCY!!

• Upvote 2

Here is the only official tiebreaker scenario I have seen from CUSA.  It's listed in the Media Guide online:

Home field for the C-USA Championship Game will be awarded to the team that posts the highest regular season winning percentage against conference opposition. The first tiebreaker is the winner of a head-to-head match-up.  Additional tie-breaker information will be released at a later date.

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

1st bold:  Do you mean Butch Davis @FIU?   ... Since Kiffin is @FAU.  If it comes down to UNT/FAU, the tiebreaker is already set.

2nd bold: Totally agree.  Pedal to the metal.

Correct on the Davis, had FAU on the mind for whatever reason...

I have no idea about if point difference is even included in the possible formula for them to determine home field  but UNT needs to beat down UTEP/Rice and hope to god that we can get the ball to Guyton vs Army DBs.. Sorry to UTEP/Rice but this is when UNT needs to be going for the FAU like scores. Recruits with there season finishing up are looking to commit, and laying the beatdowns at the end of the season would likely impress them, get fans attention as well leading up to a championship game/bowl game as well. 

I fully expect that we'll have to make the trip to Boca Raton again on December 2, but have no doubt that we are going to make this a much more competitive game.

If FAU slips up and we somehow get to host the conference championship game or get a different opponent, that'll just be sweeter. Regardless, not many people at the beginning of the season were predicting a division title, and despite all of the struggles and inconsistencies in all three phases of the game, our team has battled and performs when they need to. Very proud of this team, and I'm excited to see North Texas begin their Reign of Terror over C-USA in the next several years. 

2 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I fully expect that we'll have to make the trip to Boca Raton again on December 2, but have no doubt that we are going to make this a much more competitive game.

If FAU slips up and we somehow get to host the conference championship game or get a different opponent, that'll just be sweeter. Regardless, not many people at the beginning of the season were predicting a division title, and despite all of the struggles and inconsistencies in all three phases of the game, our team has battled and performs when they need to. Very proud of this team, and I'm excited to see North Texas begin their Reign of Terror over C-USA in the next several years. 

Would be huge if we got to hold the Championship game, not just in terms of sparking interest in DFW, but just another additional game of revenue for the AD Office as well, and the interest it would spark with students on campus as well that thought UNT was only just barely getting by. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

Would be huge if we got to hold the Championship game, not just in terms of sparking interest in DFW, but just another additional game of revenue for the AD Office as well, and the interest it would spark with students on campus as well that thought UNT was only just barely getting by. 

Spark interest with students? Come on, by December 2, finals will just be around the corner. And all of us will really need to begin studying, not attending a silly conference championship football game...

• Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Spark interest with students? Come on, by December 2, finals will just be around the corner. And all of us will really need to begin studying, not attending a silly conference championship football game...

LOL finals are the like the 10-14th... 

Most student do not start studying till the week of the ones who study before they don't start till "dead-week"...