Dickey Era Reunion

Cerebus

20 hours ago, GTWT said:

Some fans behaved like "MF'ers".  Dickey was only calling it like he saw it.

Coach got pissed at the growing criticism of his style,decisions, play, being out-coached, etc. And much of it was certainly worthy of being criticized. I won’t forget the frustration that so many had with this team.

And clearly, he has learned from it because he runs a polar opposite style now. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Travis said:

Coach got pissed at the growing criticism of his style,decisions, play, being out-coached, etc. And much of it was certainly worthy of being criticized. I won’t forget the frustration that so many had with this team.

And clearly, he has learned from it because he runs a polar opposite style now. 

He ran a style of play that got UNT to 4 straight bowls & earned him 4 coach-of-the-year honors.  It wasn't his fault that he had a fan base that thought every run up the middle was a draw.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, hickoryhouse said:

How can we hate on Dickey so much.   It is because of his teams that I am still a UNT fan.   That man doesn't get the respect that he deserves for what he did for our program. 

The way he went out was classless.  Some of his comments he made were inexcusable.

But our recent blowout at the hands of FAU helps point out what Dickey accomplished.  Our team this year is not a bad team.  But good teams typically lose games they shouldn't lose.  The fact that Dickey was able to keep his team focused for a 4-season conference win streak is remarkable.  Littrell unquestionably brings a better offense than Dickey did, he has a better overall staff than Dickey did, and he has more to work with than Dickey ever did, but I doubt Littrell will be able to maintain his team's focus like Dickey did.

• Upvote 4

I am one of Dickey's biggest critics and think him being in the HOF is ridiculous. 

However, he was a very good game time coach and his 4 year domination of the Belt was great and generally underappreciated.  If he could have kept his mouth shut and his focus on winning and recruiting instead of finding the next job, he truly could have been one of NT's greatest coaches.  

I believe he has turned it around at Memphis and hope he gets another shot at head coaching. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

25 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The way he went out was classless.  Some of his comments he made were inexcusable.

But our recent blowout at the hands of FAU helps point out what Dickey accomplished.  Our team this year is not a bad team.  But good teams typically lose games they shouldn't lose.  The fact that Dickey was able to keep his team focused for a 4-season conference win streak is remarkable.  Littrell unquestionably brings a better offense than Dickey did, he has a better overall staff than Dickey did, and he has more to work with than Dickey ever did, but I doubt Littrell will be able to maintain his team's focus like Dickey did.

Dickey had a lot of bye weeks to maintain focus, though,  like every time we played OOC. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

It is great to celebrate the accomplishments of the '01-'04 teams but some of you get a bit carried away with the "greatness" of Darrell Dickey and glaze over the '98-'00 and '05-'06 teams.. As Roger Clemens would say, some of you are misremembering.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

With Dickey we hardly had any out of conference wins we lost to D1aa provisional teams. And even in his best years (the four year straight bowl games) we only beat one team with a winning record. The belt was really bad back then. 

This years team has beat 3 teams with winning records and could have more by the end of the season.

But some of the Dickey teams had a hell of a defense if we  had those defenses with our current offense it would be really scary.

That said I think RV was contently trying to undermine him and likely did not fund Dickey well to capitalize on the bowl years success, I think Dickey had a hard time with Andrew's death, so much so that it showed on the field. 

I do think it was time for DD to move on but that is when we really found out what a POS RV was. RV should not of outlived Dickey by more than one year at UNT.  

5 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

It is great to celebrate the accomplishments of the '01-'04 teams but some of you get a bit carried away with the "greatness" of Darrell Dickey and glaze over the '98-'00 and '05-'06 teams.. As Roger Clemens would say, some of you are misremembering.

Just pointing out that Littrell got his 11th win today, 9 games into his 2nd season. The great one didn't have 11 wins until the 8th game of his 4th season. And Littrell didn't need to get bumped to a weaker conference to do it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Just pointing out that Littrell got his 11th win today, 9 games into his 2nd season. The great one didn't have 11 wins until the 8th game of his 4th season. And Littrell didn't need to get bumped to a weaker conference to do it.

Oh and he got to six wins in his second season, not his 5th. 

On 11/4/2017 at 5:40 PM, Cr1028 said:

Uh... you think maybe the difference in OOC play might have some effect?  

Dickeys OOC his 1st two years:

• Oklahoma, Texas Tech x2,  Arizona St, Texas A&M, Kansas, LSU, Baylor, TCU, UNLV

SL's OOC his 1st two years:

• Florida, Bethune Cookman, SMU x2, Army x2, Lamar, Iowa

8 P5 (not counting TCU) vs 2 P5.  2 home games vs 4 home games, thought to be fair we haven't played Army the second time yet.   0 FCS vs 2 FCS teams.  

Not only 8 P5 games, but due to the way we had to fund the program, in those first two years DD only has 8 games at Fouts in those first two years combined.  SL already has 10 at Apogee, and will have 12 by the time the year is through.  

SL is a very good coach.  I think by the time he is done he will have surpassed what Dickey accomplished, as long as the recruiting continues to improve like it has this year.  

Never forget DD had to recruit to Fouts, with no weight room, no meeting rooms big enough to hold the team, no dedicated film rooms, no strength coach, no therapy rooms, a much smaller recruiting budget, etc etc.  

On 11/5/2017 at 1:11 AM, TheWestie said:

Diet Coke, tortillas and turf toe

Hey @TheWestie how about those WORLD CHAMPION HOUSTON ASTROS?!