Jump to content
  • North Texas vs. UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds

Feeling spektical


ABrownGMG
 Share

Recommended Posts

I could just be missing something, but why is everyone consistently assuming that Army will bring in above average attendance numbers? 

I understand that Army football is a brand and has many fans all over America, but why would we assume that they will show up to Apogee with huge numbers? I looked at their away game attendance numbers and I didn't see any eye-catching numbers. Likewise, if we are already having attendance struggles, why would Army be a drawing factor for apathetic fans?

I'm not saying that we won't have great attendance that day, I'm just hoping that someone can give me a more substantial reason as to why we should expect it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ABrownGMG said:

I could just be missing something, but why is everyone consistently assuming that Army will bring in above average attendance numbers? 

I understand that Army football is a brand and has many fans all over America, but why would we assume that they will show up to Apogee with huge numbers? I looked at their away game attendance numbers and I didn't see any eye-catching numbers. Likewise, if we are already having attendance struggles, why would Army be a drawing factor for apathetic fans?

I'm not saying that we won't have great attendance that day, I'm just hoping that someone can give me a more substantial reason as to why we should expect it.

They had a large # of fans at the HoD bowl game, a large # of Vets in the region, and 2 US Army bases in Ft. Sill and Ft. Hood. They also have 3 alumni groups that have confirmed they will be at the game as well.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They and Navy both bring lots of fans in our area.  It’s not necessarily a good thing seeing as how they’ll be cheering for our opponent.  The higher turnout expectations doesn’t include expected increase in NT fans I wouldn’t think in general...although my dad is dying to go bc he still thinks of Army in a Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis sense, so there’s probabaly a bit of that too. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Army will help bring out a good turnout at Apogee IF the weather isn’t bad.

Teams that people have heard of will do that..

This may be the biggest if for every home game. I swear if the weather dips below 65 and there's a slight chance of rain it cuts our numbers in half

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

This may be the biggest if for every home game. I swear if the weather dips below 65 and there's a slight chance of rain it cuts our numbers in half

It certainly doesn't help convince non diehards to go to Apogee to watch us play teams like ODU. I get that its a conference game and there isn't much you can do about hat, but it just illustrates how stupid it is for us to be in a conference with ODU, Charlotte, FAU, FIU, etc...

Until the SBC and CUSA realign, this is what happens--they bring no one to the game because they are a time zone away, while nobody wants to come out and watch them play here. People would rather sit at home and watch the P5s from their couch than go outside and watch a game featuring nobody they will talk about to their co-workers, neighbors, or parishioners in the days ahead. UNT non die-hard fans care about SMU and any team higher than them in Texas and Oklahoma on the CFB food chain. Some of them care about the teams in CUSA West. None of them care about FCS spares, CUSA East teams, and the majority of SBC teams, except for Texas State, ULL, and Arkansas State.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

There won't be if we don't get the message out & hustle up military installations in our region to send GI's to this game.  I'd bet most of them have no idea that UNT hosts Army on 11/18.  Hope I'm wrong.

Not sure how many from West Point make this game, either.

GMG!

From what I have heard, they already have things in the works and should be a nice little thing planned for the pre-game if it all goes according to plan (from what I heard earlier in the season). 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In case some are not aware, Army is working on a good season, being 6 - 2 at this time. They have Air Force and Duke before they come here, so at kickoff they could be 8 - 2. They finish the season with Navy after us. People who follow Army or people who just want to see some good football will be interested in the game. If the weather is decent, I suspect we might have at least a chopper flyover and perhaps the game ball will be delivered by paratrooper. No inside information, just speculation on my part based on past history.

This game will be well attended...mark it down!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have friends coming in from out of town to watch the game, but they went West Point. If you’re enlisted or didn’t go to West Point you have little to no interest in West Point football so the idea of soldiers showing up to the game is probably not realistic. The West Point Alumni will show up because that’s what they do. They want to roll out a giant flag for the pregame. I haven’t heard anything else other than that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I have friends coming in from out of town to watch the game, but they went West Point. If you’re enlisted or didn’t go to West Point you have little to no interest in West Point football so the idea of soldiers showing up to the game is probably not realistic. The West Point Alumni will show up because that’s what they do. They want to roll out a giant flag for the pregame. I haven’t heard anything else other than that.  

The soldiers sure cheered their asses off for Army when they bussed them to Texas Stadium in the past. It has actually occurred in the past, that's why I asked. Not to mention they got a day off since they went in on that Saturday. We spoke to several of them. There were thousands of enlisted soldiers  there in their BDUs. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, UNTexas said:

The soldiers sure cheered their asses off for Army when they bussed them to Texas Stadium in the past. It has actually occurred in the past, that's why I asked. Not to mention they got a day off since they went in on that Saturday. We spoke to several of them. There were thousands of enlisted soldiers  there in their BDUs. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, ABrownGMG said:

I could just be missing something, but why is everyone consistently assuming that Army will bring in above average attendance numbers? 

I understand that Army football is a brand and has many fans all over America, but why would we assume that they will show up to Apogee with huge numbers? I looked at their away game attendance numbers and I didn't see any eye-catching numbers. Likewise, if we are already having attendance struggles, why would Army be a drawing factor for apathetic fans?

I'm not saying that we won't have great attendance that day, I'm just hoping that someone can give me a more substantial reason as to why we should expect it.

3 away games against Rice (21.7k), Tulane (16.6k), and Ohio St so far.

Was Rice's highest attended game and Tulane's 2nd highest (not by much).

That's not much to go on. We're averaging 20.4k. I expect us to exceed UTSA attendance (23k) if this is marketed well, and we're coming in with a W. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Aldo said:

3 away games against Rice (21.7k), Tulane (16.6k), and Ohio St so far.

Was Rice's highest attended game and Tulane's 2nd highest (not by much).

That's not much to go on. We're averaging 20.4k. I expect us to exceed UTSA attendance (23k) if this is marketed well, and we're coming in with a W. 

I would love to hear some ads on the radio for this game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

In case some are not aware, Army is working on a good season, being 6 - 2 at this time. They have Air Force and Duke before they come here, so at kickoff they could be 8 - 2. They finish the season with Navy after us. People who follow Army or people who just want to see some good football will be interested in the game. If the weather is decent, I suspect we might have at least a chopper flyover and perhaps the game ball will be delivered by paratrooper. No inside information, just speculation on my part based on past history.

This game will be well attended...mark it down!

I predict they will bring an "ARMY" of fans!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

3 away games against Rice (21.7k), Tulane (16.6k), and Ohio St so far.

Was Rice's highest attended game and Tulane's 2nd highest (not by much).

That's not much to go on. We're averaging 20.4k. I expect us to exceed UTSA attendance (23k) if this is marketed well, and we're coming in with a W. 

 

 

Does anyone know if the marketing department has looked into a commercial slot for the game during the Cowboy's game to capitalize on our partnership?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.