USA Today 1-130

greeneagle1

not sure what can expected with such a roller coaster ride. When the team wins a big game and is firing on all sides, it will be a special sight. This weekend is a statement game. Win big and you get the wanted adulation, choke another big game situation (UTEP 2016, FAU 2017, SMU 2017) and you will still get 0 respect. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, greeneagle1 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/10/30/ncaa-1-130-re-rank-notre-dame-ohio-state-jump-into-top-five/811765001/

UNT is ranked 82nd and moved 0 spots north or south after defeating #100 Old Dominion who fell 6 spots. 

So Miss gained 3 spots to move to #56 after falling to #85 UAB who gained 10 spots. 

UT-Sorta Almost gained 4 spots to number 64.

This weeks opponent, Louisiana Tech gained 2 spots to move to #72 after their win over #121 Rice. 

Other Notables:
35 SMU
37 Iowa
58 FIU
59 Marshall
63 Army
 67 FAU
130 UTEP

STILL NO LOVE FOR UNT, EVEN OVER TEAMS WE HAVE ALREADY BEAT. So Miss still gains spots after losing. Lets just crown them the division with their 2 losses.... Ridiculous.... Or even UTSA....

Southern Miss has the reputation for being a G5 program that can beat people the P5 media cares about. Its why they have this ranking, nothing more, nothing less...

• Lovely Take 1

18 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

If we played The University of the Universe, and they were undefeated, and we beat them by 50 points, and God almighty was the quarterback, we’d move up like 4 spots somewhere in the high 80s-low 90s, and still be behind UTSA.  

Yeah, but who have they beaten?    Alabama would kill them.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

UTSouthAustin's defense is ranked 11th.

Southern Miss' defense is 27th.

North Texas' defense is 108th.

So you certainly can't expect anyone to rank you very well overall in anything with a defense ranked that low.

Rick

Ugh this is just dumb. Oklahoma has a terrible defense so how are they so high?

Well Id certainly like to play UTSA's schedule. The only offense they've faced in the top 60 of S&P was ours. 

NT has faced 4

SMU how could they possibly be ranked at 35 with a defense at 101 and 97 in S&P. 

West Virginia is at 116 so how are they ahead of UNT. Explain it

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

UTSouthAustin's defense is ranked 11th.

Southern Miss' defense is 27th.

North Texas' defense is 108th.

So you certainly can't expect anyone to rank you very well overall in anything with a defense ranked that low.

Rick

But we have to give this defense team in the system, will be the reason/excuse people give for the defense.. I mean the UTSA staff got hired at the same time LOL

Edited by BTG_Fan1

9 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Ugh this is just dumb. Oklahoma has a terrible defense so how are they so high?

Well Id certainly like to play UTSA's schedule. The only offense they've faced in the top 60 of S&P was ours. 

NT has faced 4

SMU how could they possibly be ranked at 35 with a defense at 101 and 97 in S&P. 

West Virginia is at 116 so how are they ahead of UNT. Explain it

Not anymore dumb than expecting to win a championship, any championship without a solid defense.

As for OU maybe they are ranked high because they're an annual P5 favorite, they're 7-1 and they have the No. 1 ranked offense overall?

Similar for West Virginia, which is a P5, is 5-3 and has the No. 8th ranked offense overall.

SMU is the head scratcher.  I have no explanation for their high ranking other than they played TCU very well and they have more money than most people realize.  Who knows?

But it's no surprise that the top 4 ranked teams currently in the running for the playoff has an average defensive ranking of 5th overall, and the top 25 ranked teams have an average ranked defense at 32nd overall.  

Defense is the key to success.  Always has been and always will be.

Rick 

7 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Not anymore dumb than expecting to win a championship, any championship without a solid defense.

As for OU maybe they are ranked high because they're an annual P5 favorite, they're 7-1 and they have the No. 1 ranked offense overall?

Similar for West Virginia, which is a P5, is 5-3 and has the No. 8th ranked offense overall.

SMU is the head scratcher.  I have no explanation for their high ranking other than they played TCU very well and they have more money than most people realize.  Who knows?

But it's no surprise that the top 4 ranked teams currently in the running for the playoff has an average defensive ranking of 5th overall, and the top 25 ranked teams have an average ranked defense at 32nd overall.  

Defense is the key to success.  Always has been and always will be.

Rick 

I thank you for explaining.

I do agree that our defense needs to be better. I think the disagreement comes from how good it actually needs to be in order to be CUSA championship worthy. I think you want a top 20 defense. Me I'd be okay around 60. Here are some of my thoughts

Since 08 CUSA Champions have been ranked on avg around 40th in total defense.

Giving up on avg 358 yards per game, and 22 points per game. We know UNT aint going to reach that this year. So in those terms this isnt a championship worthy defense.

But there is another way to look at this. What about the offense being so good it can carry the defense.

Since 08 CUSA Champions have out gained their opponents by an avg of 88.5 yards per game and outscored them by an avg of 13 ppg.

UNT is out gaining their opponents by 36.5 yards per game but for the season they are being outscored. 

And really in the offensive era since about 14 CUSA champs are out gaining their opponents by 156 yards.

So the offense is no where near good enough to carry the defense. 

Of course this could just be one of those crazy years.

32 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

I thank you for explaining.

I do agree that our defense needs to be better. I think the disagreement comes from how good it actually needs to be in order to be CUSA championship worthy. I think you want a top 20 defense. Me I'd be okay around 60. Here are some of my thoughts

Since 08 CUSA Champions have been ranked on avg around 40th in total defense.

Giving up on avg 358 yards per game, and 22 points per game. We know UNT aint going to reach that this year. So in those terms this isnt a championship worthy defense.

But there is another way to look at this. What about the offense being so good it can carry the defense.

Since 08 CUSA Champions have out gained their opponents by an avg of 88.5 yards per game and outscored them by an avg of 13 ppg.

UNT is out gaining their opponents by 36.5 yards per game but for the season they are being outscored. 

And really in the offensive era since about 14 CUSA champs are out gaining their opponents by 156 yards.

So the offense is no where near good enough to carry the defense. 

Of course this could just be one of those crazy years.

I agree with that, absolutely.

Rick  

15 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

But we have to give this defense team in the system, will be the reason/excuse people give for the defense.. I mean the UTSA staff got hired at the same time LOL

lol UTSA defense isn't a measuring stick. What's their conference record again?

They have four FBS wins against teams that are a combined 3-29. They've allowed 30 ppg (450 ypg) vs winning teams, 11 ppg (254 ypg) vs  non winning teams. Against winning teams, they allow the worst yards/play in the league.

That's a huge swing. 

In conference, we've allowed over 400 total yards only twice. 415 (so barely) to USM and the egregious 80 million to FAU.

giphy.gif

In general, this defense performs about average in giving up yardage - which typically comes in chunks by way of two or three broken plays per game. That needs experience and film room. Additionally, we need to tighten up in the red zone, which is Horrid with a capital H.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Aldo said:

In general, this defense performs about average in giving up yardage - which typically comes in chunks by way of two or three broken plays per game. That needs experience and film room. Additionally, we need to tighten up in the red zone, which is Horrid with a capital H.

And giving up 20 yard seam routes on 3rd and 15

Just now, Aldo said:

lol UTSA defense isn't a measuring stick. What's their conference record again?

They have four FBS wins against teams that are a combined 3-29. They've allowed 30 ppg (450 ypg) vs winning teams, 11 ppg (254 ypg) vs  non winning teams. Against winning teams, they allow the worst yards/play in the league.

That's a huge swing. 

In conference, we've allowed over 400 total yards only twice. 415 (so barely) to USM and the egregious 80 million to FAU.

giphy.gif

The point about UTSA comparison is people say we need to give Reff time.. But yet UTSA has had the same amount of time and had  results, similar to our offense..  yes they have played a weak schedule but you can only play who is on your schedule...

SMU dominated and let up, FAU let up as well.. UAB moves the ball the 2nd half, Iowa woke up in the 2nd, ODU had 386 yard (pretty close to the 400) and they had 2 less offensivel drives with the KR TDs.. 

This defense is experienced and we don’t have many new faces to the group.. Hamilton and Khari are the youngest and have more experience than most.. what is worrisome is the lack of young guys playing on defense now with some guys graduating soon