Jump to content
  • North Texas vs. UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds

Officiating


Rudy
 Share

Recommended Posts

I haven't seen it on here among the various attendance, people not cheering, and "..." sucks threads, but is it possible for us to have decent officiating?  4 piss poor calls stand out in my mind from Saturday night:

 

1) On the first touchdown that got reviewed. I think we all saw that his knee was down prior to the ball crossing, but the marked the ball at the 2 when clearly the ball was on or just inside the 1.

 

2) The obvious one. Guyton and the corner both come down with the ball, and as they roll, Guyton takes possession. The ball is clearly secured as he rolls out of bounds.  It is initially ruled a catch, but the backjudge on the other side of the field runs over and rules incomplete. Not only was it practically impossible for him to see that from 60 yards away, but in the direction they rolled his view was obstructed. He should not have been alowed to overturn the call.

 

3) The terrible acting job when #8 barely touched the ODU player. He took a step , then jumped backwards onto the ground. Flav for unsportsmanlike conduct.

 

4). The unsportsmanlike call that negated our touchdown.  Seriously, what the hell?  I have yet to see what they called.

  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I haven't seen it on here among the various attendance, people not cheering, and "..." sucks threads, but is it possible for us to have decent officiating?  4 piss poor calls stand out in my mind from Saturday night:

 

1) On the first touchdown that got reviewed. I think we all saw that his knee was down prior to the ball crossing, but the marked the ball at the 2 when clearly the ball was on or just inside the 1.

 

2) The obvious one. Guyton and the corner both come down with the ball, and as they roll, Guyton takes possession. The ball is clearly secured as he rolls out of bounds.  It is initially ruled a catch, but the backjudge on the other side of the field runs over and rules incomplete. Not only was it practically impossible for him to see that from 60 yards away, but in the direction they rolled his view was obstructed. He should not have been alowed to overturn the call.

 

3) The terrible acting job when #8 barely touched the ODU player. He took a step , then jumped backwards onto the ground. Flav for unsportsmanlike conduct.

 

4). The unsportsmanlike call that negated our touchdown.  Seriously, what the hell?  I have yet to see what they called.

even wearing mean green shades, i think Guyton didn't have possession. he comes down with it, but the ball is moving as he goes out of bounds. didn't like it, but there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the call during the review.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rudy said:

I haven't seen it on here among the various attendance, people not cheering, and "..." sucks threads, but is it possible for us to have decent officiating?  4 piss poor calls stand out in my mind from Saturday night:

 

1) On the first touchdown that got reviewed. I think we all saw that his knee was down prior to the ball crossing, but the marked the ball at the 2 when clearly the ball was on or just inside the 1.

 

2) The obvious one. Guyton and the corner both come down with the ball, and as they roll, Guyton takes possession. The ball is clearly secured as he rolls out of bounds.  It is initially ruled a catch, but the backjudge on the other side of the field runs over and rules incomplete. Not only was it practically impossible for him to see that from 60 yards away, but in the direction they rolled his view was obstructed. He should not have been alowed to overturn the call.

 

3) The terrible acting job when #8 barely touched the ODU player. He took a step , then jumped backwards onto the ground. Flav for unsportsmanlike conduct.

 

4). The unsportsmanlike call that negated our touchdown.  Seriously, what the hell?  I have yet to see what they called.

1.  I think they gave us a bad spot too, but it shouldn't matter and it didn't. 

2. I just don't think there was enough evidence to over turn the call. They were still fighting for it as they slid out of bounds.

3. Only really bad call I can think of. The ref should have seen it was a flop.

4. Jordan Murray pancaked a guy at the 50 yd line as Nick Smith was running into the endzone. Dumb play on his part. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

3. Only really bad call I can think of. The ref should have seen it was a flop.

Definitely a flop, but nonetheless, our players have to be more disciplined than to be pushing opponents in the chest after plays.  I mean, it’s the “D” in Littrell‘s STD after all. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

J murray penalty really frustrated the heck out of me. A similar call was made in the SOMS game.  But I must say Murray is getting better with each game.  He is getting meaner and tougher as the season has progressed.  Last year was always beat and always got hurt.  Something has changed in him and for the better.  

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

I forget which one of those unsportsmanlike conduct fouls it was, but somebody definitely said something to the refs about it.  When the ref was announcing the penalty, you could tell he was PISSED and was struggling to contain himself.

Yeah, when red man had his timeout after the play,  SL was still talking to an official about it.  SL has a slow burn to him and just doesn't have outbursts but you can tell when is not happy.

Edited by southsideguy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I forget which one of those unsportsmanlike conduct fouls it was, but somebody definitely said something to the refs about it.  When the ref was announcing the penalty, you could tell he was PISSED and was struggling to contain himself.

Littrell was literally jumping up & down yelling at the side judge & any other ref within earshot after that Bussey "personal foul".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't waste your time writing notes to the league office...they don't look at them.  The coaches submit plays that need to be looked at.  Every game is also reviewed by 1-2 people and they take and submit notes on the quality of calls.  They need to institute replay on all personal fouls to determine if a player flopped causing the flag to be thrown.  We've added that in college basketball to where the kid that flops gets a technical foul for unsporting behavior.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

on the punt right after the Guyton catch/non catch, Hambone was in front of the ODU bench, not sure what was going on but a flag had already been thrown, Hambone got drilled in the back by an ODU player as the play ended. After all said and done, an unsportsman like penalty was called on Hambone. Nothing called on the ODU player. Should have, at the very least, been off setting penalties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Marty said:

on the punt right after the Guyton catch/non catch, Hambone was in front of the ODU bench, not sure what was going on but a flag had already been thrown, Hambone got drilled in the back by an ODU player as the play ended. After all said and done, an unsportsman like penalty was called on Hambone. Nothing called on the ODU player. Should have, at the very least, been off setting penalties.

good point. Another bad call was when when one of our defensive players was getting up and for some reason they called an unsportsmanlike conduct. 

Edited by diehardUNTfan
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Rudy said:

I haven't seen it on here among the various attendance, people not cheering, and "..." sucks threads, but is it possible for us to have decent officiating?  4 piss poor calls stand out in my mind from Saturday night:

 

1) On the first touchdown that got reviewed. I think we all saw that his knee was down prior to the ball crossing, but the marked the ball at the 2 when clearly the ball was on or just inside the 1.

 

2) The obvious one. Guyton and the corner both come down with the ball, and as they roll, Guyton takes possession. The ball is clearly secured as he rolls out of bounds.  It is initially ruled a catch, but the backjudge on the other side of the field runs over and rules incomplete. Not only was it practically impossible for him to see that from 60 yards away, but in the direction they rolled his view was obstructed. He should not have been alowed to overturn the call.

 

3) The terrible acting job when #8 barely touched the ODU player. He took a step , then jumped backwards onto the ground. Flav for unsportsmanlike conduct.

 

4). The unsportsmanlike call that negated our touchdown.  Seriously, what the hell?  I have yet to see what they called.

Probably the most important call you forgot to mention was the obvious hold on the first Kick Off return for touchdown.  Jersey pull behind in the middle of the field.  The game might have been a comfortable win if that holding call was made.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Although I agree that our players have to be smarter (regarding the flop), but come on... there may have been just one penalty in the first half, yet the referee falls for that BS? Looked like he had been taking lessons from LeBron...

I’m thinking the ref regretted throwing the flag when El Floppo got up immediately and started doing flying chest bumps with his teammates before they could even announce what the penalty was for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/30/2017 at 12:35 AM, golfingomez said:

even wearing mean green shades, i think Guyton didn't have possession. he comes down with it, but the ball is moving as he goes out of bounds. didn't like it, but there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the call during the review.

On replay it was quite clear that Guyton won control of the ball before both players were fully on the ground. Should have gone his way.

It was also at this moment that my perception of Guyton shifted from flashy, star receiver type to the reliable guy you know will fight for the ball type. We finally have tenacity in our receiving corps and I love it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From a different perspective.

There are 8 stripes vs 22 players plus each sideline.  There are things that are going to happen that no one sees. Officials are calling what they see or think they see in live action.  The game looks totally different when you are five yards from the action and focusing on your keys as opposed to sitting in the stands and have a wide range of view. However, even officials will miss calls right in front of them that other officials 60 yards away can see plain as day. They are humans and make mistakes. 

I always offer people who complain about officiating opportunities to join the Chapter if they think they can do a better job of it.   And yes, I too sit and yell "that's a Bullsh*t call" at the TV.  I'd also give my left testicle to be in their shoes. 

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:40 AM, Moobs said:

I believe #4 was the call on Jordan Murray. Still don’t know what it was for though. 

Murray absolutely crashed into the guy from the back side with the play already 10-15 yards in front of him.  Obvious "unnecessary roughness" penalty IF SEEN!  Unfortunately, the trailing ref saw it.  Was absolutely the dumbest play I have seen in a long long time.  Murray should be ashamed of this! That, right there, is a losing play!  These VEREY unnecessary penalties that seem to keep happening in each and every game are VERY damaging to the game and they need to stop...and stop now.  I don't like, but do not mind nearly as much a penalty by a guy trying to make a play that just gets into a penalty situation...like a facemask at times, or a horse collar that really isn't a horse collar, a hold where a guy just gets "caught", etc., etc. But, these sort of absolutely undisciplined and 100% unnecessary penalties are hurting the team.  They must stop.

And, before anyone chimes in with "it's coaching", Littrell preaching this is stupid and that he hates it and jumps players at almost every practice and in every film session.  So, these players ARE being coached and told not to do the stupid things that get the team beat.  Murray is VERY lucky that his stupiod play did not cost the team the win.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

  Was absolutely the dumbest play I have seen in a long long time. 

Did you see Murray's penalty against UTSA where he dove into the pile after the loose ball and the play was dead?  It didn't get a TD called back, but was also a bonehead moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DT 90 said:

From a different perspective.

There are 8 stripes vs 22 players plus each sideline.  There are things that are going to happen that no one sees. Officials are calling what they see or think they see in live action.  The game looks totally different when you are five yards from the action and focusing on your keys as opposed to sitting in the stands and have a wide range of view. However, even officials will miss calls right in front of them that other officials 60 yards away can see plain as day. They are humans and make mistakes. 

I always offer people who complain about officiating opportunities to join the Chapter if they think they can do a better job of it.   And yes, I too sit and yell "that's a Bullsh*t call" at the TV.  I'd also give my left testicle to be in their shoes. 

Yes, they make mistakes but mistakes are so bad they have to be called out, ie Riley's pass bouncing off a helmet in FRONT of him, flying 10 yards backwards, and being called a fumble.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, Rudy said:

Yes, they make mistakes but mistakes are so bad they have to be called out, ie Riley's pass bouncing off a helmet in FRONT of him, flying 10 yards backwards, and being called a fumble.

I understand. But again, you can only call what you see.  The "eye in-the-sky" sees everything most of the time.   I have not worked with replay and don't know their "requirements" for a review.   If it is blatant blown call, the official/crew/replay gets written up on it.  Their review process is pretty cut throat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.