DRC Sunday/Monday column: Attendance issues are not just about UNT

Brett Vito

On 10/30/2017 at 10:17 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't.   It was the weather.

Look,
No one outside of the die-hards (who are already going to be there) took notice of the FAU game.   The casual fans (who didn't come) may have heard we LOST, but I hardly doubt the details of the game are known by those who did NOT show up.

Gotta disagree with you there, my both Mean Green and Texan friend . . .

It may be true that those who never had any chance whatsoever of showing up missed the score, but those on the fence certainly did not.

I remember the year I transferred to NT when we lost to Nebraska 73-14.  I heard from friends literally hundreds of miles away who had no interest whatsoever in UNT football.  If we would have lost 42-24, I doubt they would have noticed.  And that blowout loss was to 1993 Nebraska, perhaps the most dominant team of my lifetime.

1 minute ago, Christopher Walker said:

Ehhhhh, more like 130k.

Still a lot more than I thought.  I was thinking Denton had maybe barely broken the 100k barrier.

2 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Gotta disagree with you there, my both Mean Green and Texan friend . . .

It may be true that those who never had any chance whatsoever of showing up missed the score, but those on the fence certainly did not.

I remember the year I transferred to NT when we lost to Nebraska 73-14.  I heard from friends literally hundreds of miles away who had no interest whatsoever in UNT football.  If we would have lost 42-24, I doubt they would have noticed.  And that blowout loss was to 1993 Nebraska, perhaps the most dominant team of my lifetime.

That's because Nebraska was a national powerhouse back then and had a lot of press. 

Here’s the thing—yes, attendance is down overall, but it’s NEVER been good here. We built a brand new stadium and opened it up with a ranked team in our state, UH—and still didn’t sell out.

G5s in urban professional cities are always going to have won big to get attention. But we don’t have many folks connected to the university that care at all about our athletics, unless it’s to loathe its existence. So, as an AD, you have to make the best of your Home OOC schedule that you can to balance out these poorly constructed G5 conferences we’ve been in. When Apogee got built, this was supposed to do that. Army , SMU, Memphis, and eventually Texas Tech are fine OOC opponents to bring here, but to balance them out with FCS spares, Idaho, Ball state, and Liberty is just asinine. That’s what drives attendance here, nothing more, nothing less...fix this stuff and you’ll see better attendance averages at the end of the season.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2