Home of the nationally 16th ranked offense

llaacy

Who has been critical of the offense? It has far exceed likely everyone’s expectations and has been the best of the 3 units..

The defense has regressed this year.. Yes they had a solid performance vs ODU, but they should have.. Its a 17-year old true Freshman that is a better runner than Passing QB.. heck the defense did what I had wanted to see it do, but that still does not change the FAU game.. it just shows that this defense can lock it in and do a task when it’s challenged.. 

Reff and this defense has to do this vs UTEP, Rice, and Army.. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Who has been critical of the offense? It has far exceed likely everyone’s expectations..

The defense has regressed this year.. Yes they had a solid performance vs ODU, but they should have.. Its a 17-year old true Freshman that is a better runner than Passing QB.. heck the defense did what I had wanted to see it do, but that still does not offense the FAU game.. it just shows that this defense can lock it in and do a task when it’s challenged.. 

Reff and this defense has to do this vs UTEP, Rice, and Army.. 

That 17 year old made Marshall's defense look bad at times.  He's coming on and will be a force in CUSA for another three years after this.  

• Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

That 17 year old made Marshall's defense look bad at times.  He's coming on and will be a force in CUSA for another three years after this.  

Yes he will in the future, but we played him yesterday.. So How does his play in 3 years deal with the defensive performance yesterday? 

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

ODU is better than their record. That QB is a talented young kid and we shut him down, for the most part. This defense is bend-but-don't-break and they shaped up after the FAU loss. I'm proud.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, llaacy said:

ODU is better than their record. That QB is a talented young kid and we shut him down, for the most part. This defense is bend-but-don't-break and they shaped up after the FAU loss. I'm proud.

Then why didn’t you make a thread about the Defensive ranking to talk about the improvement? 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

5 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yes he will in the future, but we played him yesterday.. So How does his play in 3 years deal with the defensive performance yesterday? 

He played well against Marshall THIS YEAR. Just like I was saying. Our defense plays better and we make excuses. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

Then why didn’t you make a thread about the Defensive ranking to talk about the improvement? 

Because our defense is better than our ranking as well. If you give up 800 yards in one game you're going to drop significantly. Outside of the SMU and FAU games they've played more than well enough to at least keep us in games.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

Just now, llaacy said:

Because our defense is better than our ranking as well. If you give up 800 yards in one game you're going to drop significantly. Outside of the SMU and FAU games they've played more than well enough to at least keep us in games.

The defense has at times been better than its ranking, and others it has been its ranking.. Just like how the offense has been solid then will go long stretches of it disappearing looking like a worse ranked offense.. 

You want to be critical of people who were critical of this team after FAU but missed the point.. I don’t recall anyone saying fire GH or replace GH, it was replace/fire the guy who gave up a Conference WORST performance on defense.. Yes the defense stepped up and I’m glad they did.. Now it’s time for them to keep playing like this, yes even vs LAT if you want to impress people.. We have been fooled twice now (SMU/FAU) and that isn’t factoring in last years games

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

He played well against Marshall THIS YEAR. Just like I was saying. Our defense plays better and we make excuses. 

Mason played well in games his freshman year, but had other games he didn’t play well.. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This defense has been adequate.  If we play legitimate G5 opponent instead of Lamar  the numbers look worse.   Defense had a very good game vs Iowa.  Other than that they have been mediocre.  If the offense isn’t scoring near 40 points a game this year we barely have hope of being bowl eligible by this point of the season.  The ODU was only game were the defense really held up their end of the bargain.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Our offense is good, but our defense & ST's is lacking. If we can find some magic an our D/ ST's  be like the 2013 season we will be  very good. 

I believe our offense is good but our D and special teams give up big plays and this leads to the O having to go back onto the field without a rest. We have some good players, but not much depth. When you have a 6 minute drive then have to go back out there 1 minute later your best players get gassed. 

Edited by mgfan
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Venson said:

I still think the defense is in trouble and it's not the players. The players played well all night. It is the defensive play calling that has to change. That means Reffett. Even though they won the game last night, Reffett is still a problem.

I agree thought Reff should have been replaced after the FAU, but i get the point that you don't have someone to replace him (even if I dont like that excuse).. He needs to step it up vs the likes of Rice, UTEP, Army and even LAT (they need to have USM like performance vs LAT)... 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

I think this may be a good thread to post this.

This list of skill position players are almost all FR and SO!!  All but 1 RB and WR  (and b/u QB) are back for 2 more years.   Mason and the receivers are all starting to get on the same page and should only get A LOT better with 2 more years.  He's not gonna' overcome the size limitation which may be a factor a few times, but it doesn't seem to inhibit his arm strength needed for the deep ball.

Not sure what's gonna' happen with the line.  I really don't know enough about the players.  Regarding two key positions of LT and C, I think Barr is pretty good and has another year.  Murray has another year and maybe the coaches can figure out how to get the most out of his size next year.  If we've got any hidden gems in the lower classmen or can get a transfer help and can get the line to improve a bit each of the next two years then we could be seeing some great stuff on the O side.

QB

6 Fine     SO
  19 Shanbour JR

RB
   3 Wilson   SR
  21 Smith    FR
  26 Johnson  FR

WR
   1 Smiley   SR 
   8 Bussey   SO
   9 Guyton   SO
  15 Chumley  SO
  32 Lawrence SO
  84 Darden   FR
  87 Smith    SO

LT
  71 Murray JR
  78 SR

LG
  77 Woodworth SO
  73 SR

C
  54 Barr JR
  60 SO

RG
  53 Henson SR
  72 FR

RT
  79 Mayfield SE
  74 FR

Edited by meaniegreenie
corrected Darden to FR
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

EXCELLENT post. What I've been saying all along. This team and staff are young and people are so young and still learning. People are expecting masterful football not two years removed from a historically abysmal 1-11 season. It just doesn't happen that quickly. No CFB turnaround has ever happened that quickly. The fact that we have one of the twenty best offenses in all of college football, we're 5-3 with 2 pitiful teams left to play and 2 we can beat if we really want, and yet people STILL find a way to bitch. We could go 9-3 if we play our best football in November... just be patient. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

8 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

This list of skill position players are almost all FR and SO!!  All but 1 RB and WR  (and b/u QB) are back for 2 more years.   Mason and the receivers are all starting to get on the same page and should only get A LOT better with 2 more years.  He's not gonna' overcome the size limitation which may be a factor a few times, but it doesn't seem to inhibit his arm strength needed for the deep ball.

Not sure what's gonna' happen with the line.  I really don't know enough about the players.  Regarding two key positions of LT and C, I think Barr is pretty good and has another year.  Murray has another year and maybe the coaches can figure out how to get the most out of his size next year.  If we've got any hidden gems in the lower classmen or can get a transfer help and can get the line to improve a bit each of the next two years then we could be seeing some great stuff on the O side.

QB

6 Fine     SO
  19 Shanbour JR

RB
   3 Wilson   SR
  21 Smith    FR
  26 Johnson  FR

WR
   1 Smiley   SR 
   8 Bussey   SO
   9 Guyton   SO
  15 Chumley  SO
  32 Lawrence SO
  84 Darden   SO
  87 Smith    SO

LT
  71 Murray JR
  78 SR

LG
  77 Woodworth SO
  73 SR

C
  54 Barr JR
  60 SO

RG
  53 Henson SR
  72 FR

RT
  79 Mayfield SE
  74 FR

Darden is a Freshman, and It looks like Sosaia Mose has taken the starting job from Barr. I wont be surprised to see Barr slide over to RG after Henson graduates

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, llaacy said:

EXCELLENT post. What I've been saying all along. This team and staff are young and people are so young and still learning. People are expecting masterful football not two years removed from a historically abysmal 1-11 season. It just doesn't happen that quickly. No CFB turnaround has ever happened that quickly. The fact that we have one of the twenty best offenses in all of college football, we're 5-3 with 2 pitiful teams left to play and 2 we can beat if we really want, and yet people STILL find a way to bitch. We could go 9-3 if we play our best football in November... just be patient. 

The thing is while the offense has improved greatly, the defense has regressed big time.. The best players have underperformed or been replaced on defense.. This defense needs to continue what it did vs ODU

• Downvote 3