Bowl Projections

shaft

I think it would be CUSA with the sun belt teams merged in.  I am hoping for bigger things. CUSA or Sunbelt won't be an exciting conference. Maybe the left overs from the fall out could form a conference. There will be some pretty good teams left behind. Besides Ark State would not let us in the Sun Belt.

Edited by southsideguy

The MWC is just in the wrong time zone for fans and t.v. What we might see is UTEP moving west, leaving UNT,Rice,UTSA,Texas State,Ark. State,ULL,La. Tech,So. Miss.,UAB,Troy, USA, and a school to be named later.No one wants La. Monroe, and La. Tech would block their inclusion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

33 minutes ago, wardly said:

The MWC is just in the wrong time zone for fans and t.v. What we might see is UTEP moving west, leaving UNT,Rice,UTSA,Texas State,Ark. State,ULL,La. Tech,So. Miss.,UAB,Troy, USA, and a school to be named later.No one wants La. Monroe, and La. Tech would block their inclusion.

Ugh, Rice, UTSA, Ark State, La Tech , So Miss , UAb and maybe Texas State (road trip) Troy would be ok (Troy is another Thug U).  Do not know if we need two Thug U in the conference.  Think any of the Big 8 schools get dumped?

• Downvote 4

40 minutes ago, wardly said:

#OldDenton alive & well.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Ugh, Rice, UTSA, Ark State, La Tech , So Miss , UAb and maybe Texas State (road trip) Troy would be ok (Troy is another Thug U).  Do not know if we need two Thug U in the conference.  Think any of the Big 8 schools get dumped?

Assuming that in 2022 when tv contracts expire, and the P5 conferences go to 16 teams, the Big 12 will probably be cannibalized.I am thinking Texas, T.T., Baylor, and TCU go West to Pac 10.Oklahoma,Oklahoma State go to Big 10. I don't know what happens to ISU,Kansas, or K- State.Perhaps the American Athletic Conference.I just makes sense for CUSA and Sun Belt to geographically  reconfigure.The MWC and MAC might stay pat. The bottom line is that when the  next shoe drops football will be a gate revenue sport for the G5 schools, as all tv money will go to P5 programs.I am 75, and just hoping to live long enough to see it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, greeneagle1 said:

I loved the show Breaking Bad. 

I also like better call Saul

Violent crime is problem there and a lot of gang activity.  I still remember a crime that took place in the alb area.  Some guys went to house in remote area and killed the parents.  They left the 3 and 4 year old alive and they starved to death.  Police found that the children try to open cans of food. Drugs and mexican gangs are real problem there.  That why didnt stay there when i retired.  Everyone lives with bars on their windows. This message brought to you by Albuquerque Vistor's and Convention Center.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

#OldDenton alive & well.

I think it would be great to be in the MWC, but I think it is charging windmills at this point. The television payouts are trending downwards for the G5 and I don't think anyone from the MWC is getting callled up to the bigs.

Why would the MWC want to split the dough up even more?

One possibility would be for San Jose to drop down, but I am not sure they would look to even UTEP, a former conference member as a replacement. My opinion only, if that were to happen, MWC would be better off moving Boise to the West and either making amends with BYU or taking a flyer on North Dakota State.

ESPN is losing their ass right now. The P5 payouts will come back down to earth, unless CFB can show a substantial increase in value with the sinking of the NFL.

There is the argument of Big 12 implosion. Again, with decreased revenue on the horizon, does the Big 10 take Oklahoma and say Kansas without a guarantee that revenue will increase?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GangGreen said:

I think it would be great to be in the MWC, but I think it is charging windmills at this point. The television payouts are trending downwards for the G5 and I don't think anyone from the MWC is getting callled up to the bigs.

Why would the MWC want to split the dough up even more?

One possibility would be for San Jose to drop down, but I am not sure they would look to even UTEP, a former conference member as a replacement. My opinion only, if that were to happen, MWC would be better off moving Boise to the West and either making amends with BYU or taking a flyer on North Dakota State.

ESPN is losing their ass right now. The P5 payouts will come back down to earth, unless CFB can show a substantial increase in value with the sinking of the NFL.

There is the argument of Big 12 implosion. Again, with decreased revenue on the horizon, does the Big 10 take Oklahoma and say Kansas without a guarantee that revenue will increase?

Not necessarily JOIN the MWC (which would be fine by me), but Wardly mentioned ‘partnering’ with the SBC because they’re “more appropriate”.  Why would we want to do that?  That is small-time thinking.  Why not ‘partner’ with the AAC or MWC instead?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I would love to partner with the AAC, but unless they lose members to Group of 5 conferences I see no reason for them in invite us when they may be able to pick up ISU and both Kansas  and K-State.The MWC just doesn't fit geographically ,is in a different time zone and never gets prime time exposure, which is why they dropped their tv contract. Most of their kicks are about 9:30 pm.In addition,has any one ever been to a UTEP football or basketball game?Would you travel to Albuquerque,,Colorado State ,Wyoming , Utah Stare,UNLV, or Boise, because these MWC programs would be the closest to us. We don't even travel well to San Antonio and Ruston, two of our closest  and most competitive rivals. Having said that, it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I actually think NMSU vs UNT in Albuquerque could be interesting.  They are solid this year and they would represent strong in ABQ.  Of course the highest profile matchup is desired but if this became a reality I would not be crushed.

GMG

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2017 at 9:38 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

#OldDenton alive & well.

This is my I told you so post...

We would rather stay in SBCUSA than go out west, even though we know that TCU made a helluva run by beating those teams out there and, even worse, we all know that the MWC is the one league above us that nobody could currently block us from joining within this market. The MWC has lots of big state schools and it’s my belief that they will still get the opportunity to play the Power Conferences in the future when the final schism occurs. But we won’t be in it—because of time zones and stuff...accepted relegation is basically what it comes down to.

And when the Big XII falls apart, Baylor and TCU aren’t going to the PAC 12. I think it’s pretty clear that the Texoma Four will go that way, that KU will go to the B1G, and WVU will probably end up in the ACC/SEC. I got no idea what KSU or ISU go, though—either the MWC or AAC? Either way, it’ll be a league we won’t be apart of—because we don’t want to deal with time zones and stuff...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I would go MWC today because we can compete in that conference now. Basketball would grow playing the Lobos Running Rebel’s, Rams and Aztecs.  Football would grow playing out in San Diego, up in Boise, at Air Force and over in Albuquerque.

its definitely worth entertaining if those schools ever showed an interest in breaking back into Texas, which they haven’t. They are very MAC like in their regional conference thinking. 

GMG

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, NM Green said:

I would go MWC today because we can compete in that conference now. Basketball would grow playing the Lobos Running Rebel’s, Rams and Aztecs.  Football would grow playing out in San Diego, up in Boise, at Air Force and over in Albuquerque.

its definitely worth entertaining if those schools ever showed an interest in breaking back into Texas, which they haven’t. They are very MAC like in their regional conference thinking. 

GMG

I completely agree. But the MWC will get back into Texas one day and they will have several choices on how to do it. They can easily wait out the Big XII’s demise by 2025 and get some really well-known programs, specifically TCU again and Baylor. If they want to get to 16 teams, then they could go get Rice and UTSA and now you’ve got the 3 biggest TX markets covered, plus you get Bowl connections to FW, SA, and Houston by being in their cities.

This will be when regionalization occurs and we will be in the western part of the SBCUSA, so our fans will be thrilled to have close opponents to go see and no time zone issues anymore...even though our current stupid setup has teams from the MST zone to the EST zone. 

On 10/31/2017 at 9:30 PM, GangGreen said:

This should be the case but networks have been making very irrational moves when it comes to sports programming (see Olympic and World Cup broadcasting contracts).  It is the only Live broadcasting that really moves the needle because it is live.   At this point it is all about what UT does.  If they get good again (consistent top 10 finishes) then they are likely to do something crazy, like go independent.  If they are struggling the LHN is dead and they might be open to turning the LHN into a Big 12 Conference channel and sharing revenue.  If they were to do that some SEC recent additions might be on their chopping block.  Missouri can’t compete in the SEC (and being in the SEC East increases travel cost for SEC East teams without bringing increased interest or ticket sales for everyone else).  Arkansas is comfortable but how comfortable being irrelevant in the SEC West Division race for  15 years.  And I don’t see them surging past Alabama, Auburn and LSU anytime soon.  Texas A&M is in a similar position in the SEC West.  Also CBS might be looking to reduce their payout to the SEC for the limited return they receive.