Bowl Projections

shaft

12 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Wouldn't it be cool to have to reject some UNT tkt requests because we SOLD OUT.  Could cause a run on tkt demand the next year at Apogee.....

giphy.gif

No.  No it wouldn't.
If it is indeed the Frisco Bowl for UNT, I certainly hope season-ticket holders would have first shot at the tickets, but I doubt it.   We brought 35K to the Cotton Bowl.  UNT needs a larger venue if it's going to be in the Metroplex.   18K sounds like a possible sell out for the ponies.   They can have that bowl.  Although if they take UCF down next weekend, they're looking at a much bigger bowl.

Maybe UTKFC would do well in that bowl.

If we stumble against LATech & can't win the West, I'm still holding out hope for a 2001 N.O. Bowl rematch in Albuquerque.
If we can get it together & make the C-USA championship game & avenge the FAU loss.  Then I expect ESPN to place the C-USA champs in the Independence, Quick Lane, Cactus or Military if the AAC/Big12 cannot fill their spots.  They'd be stupid not to have our offense going against a P5 in one of those games.

My bold prediction:
ESPN puts the C-USA runner-up, Mean Green in the HoD Bowl VS Texas Tech (they'll beat Baylor & need to beat either KSSt or UT to gain eligibility) & we blow away the attendance record for the game & get a near-sellout of the Cotton Bowl.   FANTASTIC Atmosphere for a high-scoring game.   If Tech can't get it done, it will likely be KSSt in the HoD bowl instead.

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

would you rather be in the Bahama bowl where you have 17 fans in attendance or a sell out at Frisco, TX? I am not sure what the payout is each  bowl but travel costs to the Bahamas would be high.

TBH,
If UNT winds up in either of those bowls... something went terribly wrong...  Like, we lose 3 of our last 4 games wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Honest question, why are we in love with playing in Dallas?  

It was really cool in 2013 because I don't believe North Texas had ever played in that historic venue.  Last year was ok, becuase at 5-7 you take what you can get.

But why wish to go there again this year?  I would much rathe have the destination of New Orleans or a makeable trip to Tucson or New Mexico.  Bowl games should be like a mini-vacation and a reward for players...playing in a place where you can Uber to is neither

I would like to add a different bowl trophy to the case. 

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

My bold prediction:
ESPN puts the C-USA runner-up, Mean Green in the HoD Bowl VS Texas Tech (they'll beat Baylor & need to beat either KSSt or UT to gain eligibility) & we blow away the attendance record for the game & get a near-sellout of the Cotton Bowl.   FANTASTIC Atmosphere for a high-scoring game.   If Tech can't get it done, it will likely be KSSt in the HoD bowl instead.

I'm perfectly fine with playing Tech in a bowl.

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Frisco:
Maybe UTKFC would do well in that bowl.

This would be awesome, actually. With all of the UNT co-branding all across The Star's campus and interior, the roadkill would have to essentially play their first bowl game in our own house. Green everywhere.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

This would be awesome, actually. With all of the UNT co-branding all across The Star's campus and interior, the roadkill would have to essentially play their first bowl game in our own house. Green everywhere.

Frisco Bowl is at Toyota Stadium, not The Star. You may be thinking of the C-USA basketball tournament.

North Texasvhosted Oklahoma State at the Cotton Bowl in about 1980 (?).  It was during the Fry era and we had a country music festival immediately after the loss.  

The New Orleans Bowl is an invisible bowl.  I have never been to a bowl game in NO and had actually had the cab driver know anything about the NO Bowl ( "You mean the Sugar Bowl ?").

We always do well at the HoD but I'd like to try a bit further for a real road trip.  I know people from Denton that go to Dallas for lunch !

But any bowl is better than stay at home.  Win.  Win.  Win.  

GO MEAN GREEN

• Lovely Take 1

UNT has one thing going for it, is its known to draw a descent crowd when its a local game.. Armed Forces and HoD are aware of this and so is Frisco. CUSA would likely pass on UNT to Frisco because UNT Wouldn’t have the room.. Someone like UTSA or would be a good Frisco team because of distance.. 

I would personally love to see UNT play in the Armed Forces because it’s a chance for UNT to play in Ft. worth and I think we maybe surprised on how many people show up. The downside is playing another Army/Navy etc team.. HoD would likely be a better match up but it’s a game and venue we have played in before. 

• Lovely Take 1

On 10/29/2017 at 1:33 PM, GreenN'walinsVet said:

There is almost no way we end up in Frisco...ever.  We would have to be really desperate to go to a bowl game, where only some of our fans that want to go could.  Toyota stadium seats less than we have sent to HOD

So you have a problem with North Texas actually selling out a stadium? I'd rather us sell out Frisco than halfway fill up the Cotton Bowl. Frisco would be really fun. I've watched the national championships there and it's awesome. Way better time than going to Fair Park.

I'll never complain about getting to a bowl game though. Beggers can't be choosers.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

12 hours ago, dmaxel said:

I'm perfectly fine with playing Tech in a bowl.

Of course, they won't by playing us.

If not HOD, our crowd would look better in a sold out Armed Forces Bowl at Amon Carter Stadium.   Not likely, though, if its Army in that Cowtown bowl game.

Army must really  like all this Texas exposure (for recruiting) they've been getting.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

8 hours ago, UNTexas said:

So you have a problem with North Texas actually selling out a stadium? I'd rather us sell out Frisco than halfway fill up the Cotton Bowl. Frisco would be really fun. I've watched the national championships there and it's awesome. Way better time than going to Fair Park.

I'll never complain about getting to a bowl game though. Beggers can't be choosers.

I have no problem selling out a bowl game, I just don’t think that is the way we want to do it though. Sell out the armed forces bowl with 30-35k NT fans, OK. Sell out Frisco with 15-20k, while leaving 10-15k fans without a ticket, doesn’t strike me as something this administration would be willing to do at this time. 

• Upvote 1

Conference USA Bowl Ties

Highest ranked team from AAC, C-USA, MAC, MW & Sun Belt will play in a New Year’s Six bowl.

No set order for Conference USA bowls. Champion will choose which bowl it wants to attend.

Boca Raton Bowl vs. American Athletic
 Gildan New Mexico Bowl vs. Mountain West
– Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla vs. American Athletic
 Bahamas Bowl vs. MAC
 R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl vs. Sun Belt
 *Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl vs. Big 12 Agreement for three Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas and three Armed Forces bowls in six years. Illinois played in Dallas three years ago but couldn’t fill the spot last year. It was Big 12 vs. Navy in Armed Forces last year – Conference USA will play Army in Armed Forces this season.
 Camping World Independence Bowl
Conditional if ACC or SEC can’t fill a spot.

So what's your pick from the list? 

Interestingly (unsurprisingly?) CUSA has yet to have someone in the NY6.

I would like to see us in the Independence bowl.

3 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I would like to see us in the Independence bowl.

I would totally dig that.  

Man, just looked at the schedule.  The only possible bowl game that I could possibly make this year would be the Frisco bowl.  I'm gonna be out in Oregon engaging in 100% state sanctioned legal activities all Christmas week.  Didn't consider bowl season when I booked that trip.  Well, I totally considered bowl season if I'm being completely honest. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

My bold prediction:

+1000 I would love to see this. I think that both schools would bring great attendance numbers. Not to mention the Tech ties with UNT coaching staff right now. 

I don't know how realistic it is though since CUSA swapped with Big 10 for the HoD. Maybe they switch back?

https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/big-ten-heart-of-dallas-bowl

we may want to play more MWC teams and try and build a relationship before the big aliment happens again.  If were to play SDSU we will be playing the old power football team unless Rocky Long has changed.  He is a good coach and usually has a good defense and a good running back.  I have not followed him this year but when coached at UNM that was he style.

Edited by southsideguy