THe Fact Is....

MeanGreen_MBA

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Huh?   What is the measuring stick for "talent"?

And many here would say that UTSA has been pulling down better recruiting classes for years.   UAB's past few recruiting classes (allowing partial qualifiers, so getting some STUD players) have loaded them up with talent as well.   We're not exactly playing a schedule full of Lamars.

The obvious measuring stick as far as talent is speed and size.  You also have to factor experience in there too. 

Iowa was much bigger than UNT.  If you had a choice of which linemen you would pick between both teams, your whole OL and DL would be all Iowa players.

FAU was a lot faster as a team than we were.  Our talent level is a lot better than the score indicated, so I put a lot of blame on the coaching.  They had the speed to cover our WRs, and that caused problems.  Their offensive scheme vs our defensive scheme was a complete mismatch.  

A coaches job is to put the player in position to make the play. 

I see too many times where a player is not in position to make the play.  We could have Earl Thomas in our secondary, but if he isnt playing deep on 3rd and long, he can't make the play.  If Sutton snags on two defenders I would say, he just had more talent.  If a running back is breaking tackles and juking our guys, I would say, the coaches put the player where he needed to be, he just couldn't physically make that play.  Too many times I see wide open space and players no where to be found.  That is a blown coverage and a coaches call wasn't close to being where the play was going.

The end of the UTSA game was more talent and playmaking than coaching.  

6 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

I would still rather have the 2013 offensive personell, running this year's offense.  Only thing I would add from this year's offense is guyton and fine just in case DT started messing up.

SENIOR DT doesn't get enough credit around here.   Underclassman DT hurt a lot of people's perceptions of him.  I can't wait to see what SENIOR MF looks like.  I agree with you though....  but I might also substitute Byrd for Wilson.  I like Byrd (he was underrated too), but I like Wilson better. 
OL... are you kidding?  Johnson,Lemon,YBarbo,Kirby,Anyiam. I'm not trading any of those guys.

Then compare:
Chancellor:Guyton.  With the way Brelan is revered around here, Guyton may never get out of his shadow despite a 1k-yd/12TD (if the trend holds) year!
Harris/Darnell Smith:Smiley/Bussey.  I know most of y'all hate that dapper Carlos Harris, but he was a performer when on the field.
Kidsey:Darden.  Both impact freshmen.
Marcus Smith:Kelvin Smith.  Both TEs block well.  Kelvin has better hands.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

SENIOR DT doesn't get enough credit around here.   Underclassman DT hurt a lot of people's perceptions of him.  I can't wait to see what SENIOR MF looks like.  I agree with you though....  but I might also substitute Byrd for Wilson.  I like Byrd (he was underrated too), but I like Wilson better. 
OL... are you kidding?  Johnson,Lemon,YBarbo,Kirby,Anyiam. I'm not trading any of those guys.

Then compare:
Chancellor:Guyton.  With the way Brelan is revered around here, Guyton may never get out of his shadow despite a 1k-yd/12TD (if the trend holds) year!
Harris/Darnell Smith:Smiley/Bussey.  I know most of y'all hate that dapper Carlos Harris, but he was a performer when on the field.
Kidsey:Darden.  Both impact freshmen.
Marcus Smith:Kelvin Smith.  Both TEs block well.  Kelvin has better hands.

Chancellor in a spread offense...not fair.  I was kinda torn between Byrd and Wilson, but Byrds durability gave him the edge to me, and let's not forget Jimmerson if we needed to get a back the ball in space.  I want a back that is going to break that 1st tackle.  Especially when there's line issues.

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

WHY????

In 2013 we had this guy named Brelan Chancellor who was unstoppable in open space.  The other slot would have been Carlos Harris who was quick and also a playmaker.  Both were very gritty and these WRS could BLOCK.  We also had a back Jimmerson who would have absolutely went off catching passes in a spread offense.  Probably could have lined up in the slot at times.  All these guys had success even in a predictable, boring, run 1st offense, so their playmaking ability was not due to the system.

15 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

In 2013 we had this guy named Brelan Chancellor who was unstoppable in open space.  The other slot would have been Carlos Harris who was quick and also a playmaker.  Both were very gritty and these WRS could BLOCK.  We also had a back Jimmerson who would have absolutely went off catching passes in a spread offense.  Probably could have lined up in the slot at times.  All these guys had success even in a predictable, boring, run 1st offense, so their playmaking ability was not due to the system.

I say lets embrace what we have now....they are young, and have huge potential..

• Upvote 2