THe Fact Is....

MeanGreen_MBA

The fact that there are so many "we should just be happy we're winning" threads is evidence enough that the team is not winning in ways we believe they can.

A frustrating win is better than any loss, yes.  But I still haven't seen this team's full potential yet.  I KNOW they can do more.

if you listened to coach Littrell after the game, you heard the same sentiments.  HE knows they can be even better too.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The fact that there are so many "we should just be happy we're winning" threads is evidence enough that the team is not winning in ways we believe they can.

A frustrating win is better than any loss, yes.  But I still haven't seen this team's full potential yet.  I KNOW they can do more.

if you listened to coach Littrell after the game, you heard the same sentiments.  HE knows they can be even better too.

100% 

SL & co. have my full faith and confidence though.  (With perhaps DC/ST caveats) 

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Can you imagine how dominating this team could be in CUSA play if all three phases were complimenting each other?

We should have beaten ODU by about 28 pts. This week against La Tech would be the perfect time to put it all together! Make it so!!

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tmjerm said:

100% 

SL & co. have my full faith and confidence though.  

I agree about SL.  I've come around on GH (although 3 straight pass plays, all incomplete, when trying to run out the clock is questionable play calling), & even TR, although as soon as the 3rd down marker flips, it's like Kryptonite has covered the opposition.  

I need to admit I was wrong about Langston, & I couldn't be happier with the job Yellock is doing.

Biagi... uh, no comment

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is so true, but the way we are winning doesn't deserve posts that say "we suck."

This offense can score on anyone. Just give us a good defense. I miss good defense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Can you imagine how dominating this team could be in CUSA play if all three phases were complimenting each other?

We should have beaten ODU by about 28 pts. This week against La Tech would be the perfect time to put it all together! Make it so!!

I feel the same about UAB.  I know they're having a great year, but that was a frustrating win too.

& I agree about making this weekend's game the perfect time to hit on all 3 phases.  LATech a wounded dog though, put some pressure on them early & they may fold for us.

To pile onto my point... if you don't like hearing it from me, listen to Coach Littrell (vid below talking about winning close games... "we have a lot to clean up"):

& Mason Fine (at start: ..."we have to be more consistent... we could score 80pts"... also at 8:36mark... "if we do our jobs, it wont be that close.  I'm tired of winning close games, I wanna put people away so it's not close"):

• Thanks 2

To build on FFR's point, we have won 5 games. I have been to six games this year and have seen all five wins. By my recall, there were real moments of doubt, concern, cussing, etc in 4 of the 5 wins. On the other hand, we might have lost 3 or 4 of those wins in our not to distant past.

That we are not yet playing our best game and finding ways to win is reason enough to be optimistic.

That we likely have five, maybe six, games (not to be presumptuous) to further build a better program keeps me smiling.

And that there are so many men on this team I feel I know better through social media and BTG solidifies my commitment to this team.

FIVE and 3.

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 2

Outside of the Lamar game,  I think the "most-complete" games we've played have been:
Iowa - Defensive front seven finally wore down in the 4th quarter & Iowa ran behind their road graders to a win.
SoMiss - despite a fast start by SoMiss, and a horrible start to the 2nd quarter (2 straight turnovers), the rest of this game was beautiful.
UTSA - Turned the ball over twice (including a scoop-n-score).  But, The Drive!

I know these guys can do better.   I think we're going to need them to finally get that 'complete game' this week.

It's been seven years, ten days since the departure of the worst coaching regime North Texas has ever seen, possibly all of college football.  

Seven years, ten days.  

I still haven't been able to shake the notion that if a game is close, we WILL find a way to lose it.  

That sometimes we actually walk away from a win (or in the case of this season, several of them), still doesn't quite register in my mind because of the trauma suffered from that era.  

Maybe eight years, ten days will do the trick. 

18 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That frustration comes from knowing you have the talent physically to get it done, but mentally, scheme, coaching, technique, etc it is not translating to game day.

We are beating teams that we have more than.  Throw all that 1-11 blah, blah, blah out the window.  The sign that our coaching is good will be when we can beat teams that have equal or more talent.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

We are beating teams that we have more than.  Throw all that 1-11 blah, blah, blah out the window.  The sign that our coaching is good will be when we can beat teams that have equal or more talent.  

Huh?   What is the measuring stick for "talent"?

19 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Southern Miss is 5-3

UAB is 5-3

UTSA is 5-2

And many here would say that UTSA has been pulling down better recruiting classes for years.   UAB's past few recruiting classes (allowing partial qualifiers, so getting some STUD players) have loaded them up with talent as well.   We're not exactly playing a schedule full of Lamars.

59 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Southern Miss is 5-3

UAB is 5-3

UTSA is 5-2

Records don't mean there's talent.  I am watching games and the talent on the field.  When we play teams that can match us athlete for athlete.

To be more specific, athletes that can match up with our wrs stride for stride and our defense vs a capable QB.  UTSA had a horrible secondary.  Their QB is one dimensional and his game hasn't changed in 3 years.  USM QB was not good and is inexperienced.  You would pick Fine over those QBs. We have a talent edge.  

We are going to lose vs teams that can cover our wrs and the offense will struggle.  We face a beast RB or a capable Qb our defense will get shredded.  Our coaching has yet to be the deciding factor in winning a game in my opinion.

Did Army have better athletes in our bowl loss?  Nope.