I’m Gonna Say It

AustinFromUNT

1 hour ago, AustinFromUNT said:

So because some people don’t show up that means that people who do show up shouldn’t cheer?

No, but I'm sick and tired of hearing the Alumni being labeled as shit because they don't yell loud enough. I don't see the students juggling a career and family, and still making it out to the game. I don't see the students buying season tickets even though they live hours away, and don't have the guarantee they will be able to make any games. I don't see the students working a 12 hour night shift, getting 3 hours of sleep, and then driving 6 hours away to support the team.  What I do see is the students who can't drag their ass across campus to go to a FREE event. I see people bitching about it being too cold. Stand outside when it's - 5 degrees. And then tell me what's cold. Stand outside in 30lbs or more of gear when it's 100+, and tell me what's hot. I see people bitching about a decrepit stadium, then still make an excuse when we have a beautiful new stadium.  I see alumni who refuse to sit on the Alumni side and change the culture.  I'm not saying one group is better than the other. We have to work together, but it's flat out bullsh to routinely trash the alumni because they don't cheer hard enough.

We are, as a fan base, ridiculous. We are 5-3.  I can count on one hand, the number of times in the past 10 years we have been above .500 this late in the season. We had one of the top 3 most exciting finishes in my 20 years of following NT football 2 weeks ago. Barring a complete meltdown, we are going bowling for the 2nd year in a row for the first time since the early '00's. We are in 1st place of our division. We control our own destiny.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

There used to be lines to get in the freaking stadium for the students. At Fouts even. 

If you have a problem with it, BE PROACTIVE and BE THE CHANGE.

To the current students, this is what 10K students looks like. We haven’t seen anything like this since 2014. 

17683BCD-81B6-407A-8B2A-79D2DBDF242A.png

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

I think they need to go away with the new student ticket thing they are doing. Students are lazy. I mean pitifully lazy. If they have to do anything whatsoever to get a ticket they just aren't going to. But if they can walk up to the stadium and have their ID scanned, then they're in with no questions and most students do carry their student ID on them. I don't think the absolute drop in student attendance and this new ticket app is just a coincidence. 

I actually agree. I think having the ticket trailer out there made students remember there was a game and feel committed to it because they had a physical ticket.

Maybe it’s just fond memories of the “hot box” in 100 degree weather but I doubt it.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We are at rice for thanksgiving i think.  I always glad when don't play a home game that weekend.  The students are home for the holidays and people have million excuses not show up.  I am disappointed and yeah the alumni in my section are quite but not me.  I don't give a rats ass what they think.  I graduated from NTSU in 1980 and lived in a different state for 30 years and came back to a game once a year and bought season tickets to support UNT.  It has been hard at times but I am green guy forever.  When I moved back to Denton in 2013 I continued to buy my season tickets and show up for every game.  I don't know why we don't have a better turn out.  Win or lose they are our team and we should support them.  I even made most of the basketball games last year and that was tough pill to swallow.  I just bought game day tickets last year as away of protesting Benford.  This year I have bought season tickets again.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

Pretty shitty to bash fans that have devoted their entire adult life to UNT.

Knowing @AustinFromUNT as I do, and he is a really good guy and great young fan, I really don't think that was what he meant.  But I also understand, as a long time fan you often get grouped into that "bad" category by omission, which can feel offensive.

I think back to the Dickey, "these mofo's" comment.  At the time, that really bothered me when he said that because I felt it was directed at me.  After all I was a "fan".  In hindsight, I realize that it probably was not me or many other good fans that he was addressing with his comments.  At the emotional point of him saying that he probably didn't feel the inclination to add the caviat, "with some exceptions.." etc.  Those that were around at that time get my drift.

There is a small but very loyal group of fans who have been there through thick and thin and they are often maligned by being grouped with the fair weather ones who seem to come and go.  They are different and I agree there is a distinction between the two that needs to be addressed.

42 minutes ago, Harry said:

Knowing @AustinFromUNT as I do, and he is a really good guy and great young fan, I really don't think that was what he meant.  But I also understand, as a long time fan you often get grouped into that "bad" category by omission, which can feel offensive.

I think back to the Dickey, "these mofo's" comment.  At the time, that really bothered me when he said that because I felt it was directed at me.  After all I was a "fan".  In hindsight, I realize that it probably was not me or many other good fans that he was addressing with his comments.  At the emotional point of him saying that he probably didn't feel the inclination to add the caviat, "with some exceptions.." etc.  Those that were around at that time get my drift.

There is a small but very loyal group of fans who have been there through thick and thin and they are often maligned by being grouped with the fair weather ones who seem to come and go.  They are different and I agree there is a distinction between the two that needs to be addressed.

It's not meant as a shot to @AustinFromUNT

We need more fans like him that are passionate, but there's a right way to call out the Alumni who sit on their hands. I've said it all along, sit on the home side, yell your ass off, and it will change as more and more students with passion graduate. It's not going to happen overnight.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, madmaxx7 said:

I am an alum who graduated in 1970.  Like a number of others here I have had the joys along with the slings and arrows of 50 plus years of UNT/NTSU football. You may not be aware but a lot of alums pushed seat sales so we could get enough people in the stands so we could qualify to get back to D1. That is one of many things done historically for this program which has brought us to the point of where we are today.  We are still around, our backs hurt, our knees hurt and it is unfortunate that some of us make you sick and tired. We have given a lifetime of interest and effort to this program. When you are 70 and come back to this forum and have someone, who has a lack of maturity, posting inappropriate comments you will understand why I don't give a rats ass about you being sick and tired. This blog should be about football which is in fact, entertainment. Send your sick and tired comments to butthurt.com.    

Awesome post!

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

17 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I think they need to go away with the new student ticket thing they are doing. Students are lazy. I mean pitifully lazy. If they have to do anything whatsoever to get a ticket they just aren't going to. But if they can walk up to the stadium and have their ID scanned, then they're in with no questions and most students do carry their student ID on them. I don't think the absolute drop in student attendance and this new ticket app is just a coincidence. 

It’s plenty easy to get a student ticket.. Numerous signs are up around Apogee and outside gates 3 and 4 with the 4 steps to get the ticket digitally.. It’s a 1 time thing each season and if the student is to lazy, they can drive to Apogee and walk in and the ticket people will do it for the student.. Each game week it texts you for you to reply “yes” to get the ticket.. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

18 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I have never understood this point of fans not being loud enough, stand enough, or otherwise just are not into the game enough.   Look at the stands,  with the few that actually attend a game; you want to criticize how they conduct themselves.   

Likewise, if you live relatively close and don't attend the majority of the games, than you should be banned from lamenting about the attendance.  

I live about a half hour away and attended every football game this year. Still a hs student, but I just wish there were more rowdy fans in the student section. I'm still a little hoarse from last night cause i was yelling the whole game.  Too many student were just sitting down and talking to each other and acting like they didn't even know a barnburner of a game was right in front of them.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

On 10/28/2017 at 8:02 PM, AustinFromUNT said:

I am sick and tired of the alumni side not doing anything during the game. I am hoarse from screaming after every game and I look over and the alumni side are all sitting down. Get off your butt and cheer on our team.

Brother, I was out in that cold with two broken ribs, and I yelled much more then I should have. After staying until the end of the game, I got to drive home for over 2 hours. Oh, I'm paying for it today, but it was the choice I made. And, it was worth it. You have no idea what some on that alumni side are going through, or what they have done for our university. We all want more rowdy fans on the alumni side. Once you and the majority of the student section start graduating, and joining the Mean Green Club and buying season tickets on the alumni side, things should change.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

I sit on the so-called alumni side (I prefer press box side).  I yell and plenty of others in 106 do as well.  To get the whole place rockin', though, we need to win consistently and play (and beat) teams that people have heard of.  I haven't missed a home game in over 20 years and when the day comes when the place is packed and everyone is yelling and we have a lead in the 4th quarter against a ranked opponent, it will be glorious. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I talked to my abnormal psychology professor today about the game. He’s a grad student btw. He said it was the first UNT game he went to and really enjoyed it, except for the “crowd experience was terrible”. I asked him which side he sat on, and he said the alumni side. He had 50 yard line tickets.

Just a bit of clarification here, because I'm at work and these things matter in my world. Your GA is an instructor, not a professor.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/28/2017 at 8:02 PM, AustinFromUNT said:

I am sick and tired of the alumni side not doing anything during the game. I am hoarse from screaming after every game and I look over and the alumni side are all sitting down. Get off your butt and cheer on our team.

You know, I've been attending football games at North Texas for a very long time. And in all those years, I've seen cheer staff sent over to the alumni side maybe once or twice. I've seen a contingent of the Band sent over to the Alumni side once to get the "home crowd" pumped and into the game. The rest of the time, except for trotting out on the field to do the NORTH TEXAS yell, the cheer staff spends their time in front of the Band and student side. FFR and others have been begging for a coordinated yell that can quickly get started and ended led by the cheer staff..........nothing but gymnastics and generic cheerleading posturing.

Here is how the TCU cheer staff feels about their job.

Here is how the TCU Band feels about their role at games. Lots of energy!