MGN: Basketball preview

aztecskin

8 minutes ago, Travis said:

Is it just me or does our non conference schedule look brutal. 

Georgetown lost 19 games last year including a game to Mccasland's Arkansas State squad. OU lost 20 games, although they should be much better and add a 5-star in Trae Young. Nebraska was 12-19 last year.

Ga Tech is probably our toughest game and closest thing to a sure loss. Next is either UTA or OU. Everything after that is winnable, including Georgetown and Nebraska. Indiana State may be our marquee home OOC game from the MVC but they lost 20 games last year, and we also go to San Diego and they were 13-18 last year. The other 6 OOC opponents I didn't mention we should be easy favorites against.

Now of course teams are looking at us the same way and they could easily be more improved than us, but we loaded our schedule with winnable games, including against good programs that were down last year. Lot of chances for wins in non-conference.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

I would say those teams look for the most part are beatable.  However,  our team was so poorly coached for the five years we hit new lows.  I think Mac is the man to bring us back to being competitive. I just think it may take two to three years.  I bought my season ticket this year so I am will be their supporting him and the players as we start a new journey.  I hope we can knock off some of these teams.  I hope fans return to the pit year to support the new beginning.

• Lovely Take 1

On 11/7/2017 at 8:24 AM, BillySee58 said:

Georgetown lost 19 games last year including a game to Mccasland's Arkansas State squad. OU lost 20 games, although they should be much better and add a 5-star in Trae Young. Nebraska was 12-19 last year.

Ga Tech is probably our toughest game and closest thing to a sure loss. Next is either UTA or OU. Everything after that is winnable, including Georgetown and Nebraska. Indiana State may be our marquee home OOC game from the MVC but they lost 20 games last year, and we also go to San Diego and they were 13-18 last year. The other 6 OOC opponents I didn't mention we should be easy favorites against.

Now of course teams are looking at us the same way and they could easily be more improved than us, but we loaded our schedule with winnable games, including against good programs that were down last year. Lot of chances for wins in non-conference.

OU is probably our toughest game. Georgetown and Nebraska are winnable like you mentioned. Probably not as winnable as you think, but still there. Its tough to predict how well NT will gel.

Indiana St is rated a lot higher than NT right now, but I think a lot of people are underrating us. They are predicted to finish 7th out of 10 in the MVC. Which is a mucher tougher conf than CUSA.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 11/8/2017 at 4:39 PM, untjim1995 said:

FIFY

With friends like you, who needs enemies?! I get that fans such as yourself have seen more than most down times but geez. There's no need to project this constant negativity onto every season as if nothing has changed when that is just not the case.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

With friends like you, who needs enemies?! I get that fans such as yourself have seen more than most down times but geez. There's no need to project this constant negativity onto every season as if nothing has changed when that is just not the case.

ok...get those pom-poms out!! Its sunshine and puppy dogs around here!! 

If you are excited about us playing these mostly spares at home, you've told me all I need to know. Have fun with the other 1000 people in the stands for most of these games. The other 9000 empty seats won't say one thing to you, either, as you enjoy the big matchups against teams like Eureka.

• Downvote 4

Just now, untjim1995 said:

ok...get those pom-poms out!! Its sunshine and puppy dogs around here!! 

If you are excited about us playing these mostly spares at home, you've told me all I need to know. Have fun with the other 1000 people in the stands for most of these games. The other 9000 empty seats won't say one thing to you, either, as you enjoy the big matchups against teams like Eureka.

Scheduling upper level RPI schools is tough when you're a down and out program. No one wants to risk a loss to a sub-300 RPI school on the road as it hurts your own RPI. As much as fans want more well known schools come to Denton, other schools are only looking out for their own interests (especially when it comes to possible post-season play) and don't give one care about how much we want to play them.

Our fans have to get over themselves, swallow their pride a little, and just attend game to see North Texas play, not who the Mean Green are playing against.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Our fans have to get over themselves, swallow their pride a little, and just attend game to see North Texas play, not who the Mean Green are playing against.

Yeah, I bet that will finally happen...just like when there will be high quality healthcare and free college education for everyone!! 

For non-snowflakes on this board, when you schedule like we have always done, except for very precious few exceptions, you tell everyone you are small time. Again, this is mostly because of RV's doing, but Wren Baker has to fix this $hit and its much easier to do in basketball than it is in football, where we play FCS spares every year going forward and won't help bring any extra fans to the game in Denton.

We are in the DFW Metroplex. There are schools that would be interested in playing here. Schools that would bring in more people to games to actual help with revenue, both UNT fans and the visitors. Nobody but about 1000 people will come out to watch Eureka Colllege, Bethune_Cookman, UT-Rio Grande Valley, and Rogers State play here in a 10,000 seat arena.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

Just now, untjim1995 said:

Yeah, I bet that will finally happen...just like when there will be high quality healthcare and free college education for everyone!! 

For non-snowflakes on this board, when you schedule like we have always done, except for very precious few exceptions, you tell everyone you are small time. Again, this is mostly because of RV's doing, but Wren Baker has to fix this $hit and its much easier to do in basketball than it is in football, where we play FCS spares every year going forward and won't help bring any extra fans to the game in Denton.

We are in the DFW Metroplex. There are schools that would be interested in playing here. Schools that would bring in more people to games to actual help with revenue, both UNT fans and the visitors. Nobody but about 1000 people will come out to watch Eureka Colllege, Bethune_Cookman, UT-Rio Grande Valley, and Rogers State play here in a 10,000 seat arena.

Why do people see DFW as this destination for teams to come to visit? Upper echelon programs are going to attract upper echelon talent regardless of whether they play a minute inside the state. It doesn't matter the sport either. You make it sound like we can call up any school we want and they're instantly interested in playing in Denton because ... DFW! It's not that simple. It just isn't.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They are playing primarily a cupcake home schedule because that is who NT wants to play.  The logic I assume is to give McCasland a little time to develop his team.  I hope it is not just a continuation of the Benford type scheduling to just find someone NT can beat.  

Just like football, it is almost impossible to schedule a name team at home.  They frankly have no reason to travel and risk a loss when they schedule NT tier teams easily on an home only basis.  What NT can do is schedule home and away series with other so-called mid-majors.  

I think particularly the students, care more about winning than who they play.  However for those fans that don't live around Denton, few are going to find it worth the effort to attend.