USM Claims First Place in CUSA West

Cerebus

I mean, it's not a good claim...

Conference USA Football Championship Game

(Once the tie has been reduced to two teams, go to the two-team tie-breaker format.) Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall CUSA play. If tied, head to head between tied teams. If still tied, highest winning percentage within division.

#NewDenton responds:

We are still in decent shape. If we lose to La. Tech, we have ODU, UTEP, and Rice left, and should win all three games. La. Tech still has FAU and UTSA to play, while So Miss. has UAB and Marshall left. I like our schedule best, especially if we can beat La. Tech.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

15 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The thing was about CUSA standings.. and figured it was overall record... 

See Cerebus' quote. First tiebreaker is CUSA win % (so it trumps overall record at this point in the tiebreaking). Second is head to head. That puts us a half game ahead of USM. 

12 hours ago, greenjoe said:

A conference champ with 2 conference losses is hardly a champ.

Having said that, I want a CUSA championship anyway I can get it but a champion should have a champion's tecord. 

Beat 'em

GO MEAN GREEN

Wait until seasons end, as PAC 12 and Big 12 may have 2 loss champions.

This kind of reminds me of our first SBC Championship in 2001, when we beat MUTS head-to-head, then won out, which gave us the NO Bowl. Even though we had the same SBC record, we won the head-to-head matchup, yet MUTS fans bitched about us having a losing record overall while they had an 8-3 record. 

Loved beating those idiots back then--I don't hate them anymore, but it was a nice little rivalry back in the SBC days, for the 12k fans that cared about us back then. I give them tons of credit--they've built a nice overall revenue sports program out there. I'd like it if we could actually get to their level, both in football and ESPECIALLY in hoops. They've done a better job of getting their Nashville ties to help them than we have ever done with our DFW proximity. Its why it won't surprise me at all to see them be a team in the AAC one day. If 16 teams is the eventual model to reach, its just not hard to see the AAC adding a couple of solid MAC schools like NIU and Ohio, as well as MUTS and UTSA to the mix. Of course, for CUSA, it would be easy to replace UTSA with Texas State, but MUTS would probably get replaced by Arky State in that scenario...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1