Official ODU Game Score Prediction Thread

MeanGreenTexan

I've had to let this one roll around in my subconscious for a couple of days. Here is what emerged:

Eagles  38     Monarchs  30

Because we MUST make that happen!

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

When do we get English back?  Defense needs help.

Exactly.   We really need English back

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Mean Green 33

Old Dominion 31

Announced Attendance 19,500

Butts in Seats 14,000

How come on the visitors side there is all those empty green seats? ( front row near the 50 )

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

I haven't seen ODU give up a conference record in terms of yardage... nor have they give up 60+ compared to high of 69 (They only gave up 58 to FAU)....

And their offense is as good as ours?

Again, by the numbers and on paper, we shouldn't lose this game. 

1 minute ago, Travis said:

And their offense is as good as ours?

Again, by the numbers and on paper, we shouldn't lose this game. 

Yes our offense has been good, but you have to have the higher score to win.. If our defense is just going to be a swinging gate allowing anyone to score then we could be in trouble...

The games are not played on paper, and we should not have lost by 38 to FAU... 

Yes UNT should win this game.. Yes the UNT offense is better, Yes the UNT Defense needs a bounce back game.. Yes the UNT offense is facing a true-freshman QB... 

But again, not going to get off topic, but this team will only have as much success as this defense.. They have struggled and are in need of a bounce back game.. Again this W rests on the defense and our DC, who has struggled more than he has had success... 

Just now, greenminer said:

You're suggesting we will perform at that level again.

If you look back at the post i quoted at first... 

34 minutes ago, mgsteve said:

ODU 67

UNT 33

Improvements this week on both sides of the ball.

and my comment towards @Travis was about lacking confidence in our DC since he we are #109 in the nation..

Never said that would perform again like last week.. But by Travis saying the ODU defense is bad, I replied saying I haven't seen it give up records like our defense has... 

36 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Because our DC has crap game plans for most of the season... 

29 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I haven't seen ODU give up a conference record in terms of yardage... nor have they give up 60+ compared to high of 69 (They only gave up 58 to FAU)....

PREFACE:  I'm sorry to single you out, because there are many others who are posting the same way you are, but...

Dude.   Did you watch the FAU game?   

If no, then I understand why you're talking like you are.

If yes, did you see the EFFORT from the team?    Compare it against previous games this year.   Do you see a difference?  I thought it was rather obvious, that's why I turned the game off after Mason's 2nd INT.

If you believe the effort was the same, it was just coaching putting them in bad spots...  I'm sorry, I don't know what to say, other than , you're wrong.
If you believe the EFFORT was pitiful, then why would you bag on the coaches and cite the big give-up game stats, like it's going to happen again?   If that same effort rears its head again this week, we're not going to win any more games this year... not even Rice/UTEP, and something is very wrong.

Is the defense awful?  Only on 3rd/4th down.    Are they give-up-800yds-&-69pts-every-week awful?   No!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

PREFACE:  I'm sorry to single you out, because there are many others who are posting the same way you are, but...

Dude.   Did you watch the FAU game?   

If no, then I understand why you're talking like you are.

If yes, did you see the EFFORT from the team?    Compare it against previous games this year.   Do you see a difference?  I thought it was rather obvious, that's why I turned the game off after Mason's 2nd INT.

If you believe the effort was the same, it was just coaching putting them in bad spots...  I'm sorry, I don't know what to say, other than , you're wrong.
If you believe the EFFORT was pitiful, then why would you bag on the coaches and cite the big give-up game stats, like it's going to happen again?   If that same effort rears its head again this week, we're not going to win any more games this year... not even Rice/UTEP, and something is very wrong.

Is the defense awful?  Only on 3rd/4th down.    Are they give-up-800yds-&-69pts-every-week awful?   No!

I was not going to go into since this thread is about the ODU score predicions, but since you brought it up..

It was not just "effort", its the mindset... It was UNT being cocky, saying we are in 1st.. We just beat UTSA and we can beat anyone.. They got ran out of the damn stadium and only wanted to be at the pool and not at the game... Other games this year? Dude we gave up 43 to UAB, we gave up 50+ to SMU and we had effort then!?!  That blowout L is on everyone from SL and the coaching staff down to player 105 on the roster, ... That was a MAJOR game (and it was known to be important for multiple weeks), and these guys are posting up selfies of them at the pool chilling instead of getting focused on the game.. Alabama plays in a MAJOR game every single week and has for YEARS, but yet this team gets a big head after 3 wins vs UAB, USM and UTSA. We win 3 games in a row and these guys don't think they need to give 100%? Of the guys on the roster, outside of the 2017 class ALL of them have a LOSING CAREER RECORD.. Yes the effort sucked, but dear lord someone grow a pair and man up and TAKE CHARGE and have some damn pride in yourself, your team, the staff, and the school for crying outloud.. UNT manned the hell up vs SMU after giving up what, 38 straight and finally did something about it (in trash time) but yet in FL they just said rolled over and let FAU use and abuse them, when the SMU game meant nothing compared to the FAU game.. 

We can try and find stats to say we are good here and there, but from the eye test.. This defense is BAD... Its 109 in the NATION... it gave up a CUSA record for offense, in a conference that is known for OFFENSE with some of the worst teams and defenses in the nation (Charotte, Rice, UTEP)! This defense has REGRESSED and its 2 best players are not producing.. 1 is on the bench, and the other is the 3rd best safety... Lets hope to god they don't give up 69 and 800 again because they shouldn't vs ODU, UTEP, Rice, or Army. Heck we should not give up more than 20 points to any of them, nor should they gain more then 3/400 total yards. People have talked about giving this defense time in the system, but yet this is year 2, 20 games compared to FAU that is in year 1... Heck our defense was better in Year 1 than Year 2 by ALOT (yes still a lot of season left but you aren't likely going to jump 40-50 spots now to just get back close to last years). 

I will repeat myself, this defense CAN NOT (hopefully) do any worse.... The defense will be facing 3 of the weakest (if not the weakest) teams left in conference play with Army as well not being an offensive powerhouse either... 4 of the 5 remaining games are vs teams that UNT should flat out beat down if this defense can do ANYTHING... The offense is not the problem, nor has ST been the problem the past 4 games compared to the defense... Again this is when we find out the mindset of the this team.. The only thing they have earned is a place in the history books as the worst defensive performance in CUSA history... 

PS- My prediction UNT wins along the lines of something like 42-31.. Defense if you wanna impress hold them to 3 scores and get 3+ turnovers via INT or Fumble Recovery.. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1

11 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I was not going to go into since this thread is about the ODU score predicions, but since you brought it up..

It was not just "effort", its the mindset... It was UNT being cocky, saying we are in 1st.. We just beat UTSA and we can beat anyone.. They got ran out of the damn stadium and only wanted to be at the pool and not at the game... Other games this year? Dude we gave up 43 to UAB, we gave up 50+ to SMU and we had effort then!?!  That blowout L is on everyone from SL and the coaching staff down to player 105 on the roster, ... That was a MAJOR game (and it was known to be important for multiple weeks), and these guys are posting up selfies of them at the pool chilling instead of getting focused on the game.. Alabama plays in a MAJOR game every single week and has for YEARS, but yet this team gets a big head after 3 wins vs UAB, USM and UTSA. We win 3 games in a row and these guys don't think they need to give 100%? Of the guys on the roster, outside of the 2017 class ALL of them have a LOSING CAREER RECORD.. Yes the effort sucked, but dear lord someone grow a pair and man up and TAKE CHARGE and have some damn pride in yourself, your team, the staff, and the school for crying outloud.. UNT manned the hell up vs SMU after giving up what, 38 straight and finally did something about it (in trash time) but yet in FL they just said rolled over and let FAU use and abuse them, when the SMU game meant nothing compared to the FAU game.. 

We can try and find stats to say we are good here and there, but from the eye test.. This defense is BAD... Its 109 in the NATION... it gave up a CUSA record for offense, in a conference that is known for OFFENSE with some of the worst teams and defenses in the nation (Charotte, Rice, UTEP)! This defense has REGRESSED and its 2 best players are not producing.. 1 is on the bench, and the other is the 3rd best safety... Lets hope to god they don't give up 69 and 800 again because they shouldn't vs ODU, UTEP, Rice, or Army. Heck we should not give up more than 20 points to any of them, nor should they gain more then 3/400 total yards. People have talked about giving this defense time in the system, but yet this is year 2, 20 games compared to FAU that is in year 1... Heck our defense was better in Year 1 than Year 2 by ALOT (yes still a lot of season left but you aren't likely going to jump 40-50 spots now to just get back close to last years). 

I will repeat myself, this defense CAN NOT (hopefully) do any worse.... The defense will be facing 3 of the weakest (if not the weakest) teams left in conference play with Army as well not being an offensive powerhouse either... 4 of the 5 remaining games are vs teams that UNT should flat out beat down if this defense can do ANYTHING... The offense is not the problem, nor has ST been the problem the past 4 games compared to the defense... Again this is when we find out the mindset of the this team.. The only thing they have earned is a place in the history books as the worst defensive performance in CUSA history... 

PS- My prediction UNT wins along the lines of something like 42-31

Isn't effort always about mindset?    If your mindset is, "we show up after our pool party, roll the ball out there, and watch the owls cower in defeat.", then your effort will reflect that.   Meanwhile, FAU clearly did not play their role.

I saw a lot more effort against SMU & UAB than FAU.   
Tons of bone-headed plays in coverage gave Courtland Sutton room to do whatever he wanted to do against us.  Same mistakes by the same dude(s) VS UAB.  Those seem to be somewhat-corrected now that NB is on the bench.  

And if you didn't notice, the offense WAS a part of the problem VS FAU.  They were just as flat/shook as the defense...  Hence a halftime score of 41 to SEVEN...  poor route-running, poor blocking, & lackadaisical QB play. 
I know SL took a hammering around here for leaving Fine in the 2nd half, but I think it was a good battle test for Fine: Can you overcome 1st-half mental diarrhea & perform without quitting?   The answer for Fine appeared to be, yes.

Prediction-wise, we're on the same page!  ~10pt win for UNT.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Isn't effort always about mindset?    If your mindset is, "we show up after our pool party, roll the ball out there, and watch the owls cower in defeat.", then your effort will reflect that.   Meanwhile, FAU clearly did not play their role.

I saw a lot more effort against SMU & UAB than FAU.   
Tons of bone-headed plays in coverage gave Courtland Sutton room to do whatever he wanted to do against us.  Same mistakes by the same dude(s) VS UAB.  Those seem to be somewhat-corrected now that NB is on the bench.  

And if you didn't notice, the offense WAS a part of the problem VS FAU.  They were just as flat/shook as the defense...  Hence a halftime score of 41 to SEVEN...  poor route-running, poor blocking, & lackadaisical QB play. 
I know SL took a hammering around here for leaving Fine in the 2nd half, but I think it was a good battle test for Fine: Can you overcome 1st-half mental diarrhea & perform without quitting?   The answer for Fine appeared to be, yes.

Prediction-wise, we're on the same page!  ~10pt win for UNT.

Effort implies that they can just flip a switch... They made and effort vs SMU when they decided to respond on offense and actually hold on defense... They flipped that switched vs UAB (from good to bad with UAB scoring most in the 2nd half) and USM (from trash in the 1st half to shutdown in the 2nd).. Hell they flipped that switch vs UTSA on the last UTSA possesion... 

Mindset is about the cockiness and thinking no one can hold them. They think they can have a pool party and just walk into FAU to play a game when in reality they rolling over and just went into the fetal position hoping LK and KB would take it easy on them which is what this team did... The offense responded (at times) but by that time it was pointless and was just hey, lets pad stats since it was not about getting game experience (since guys who play very little did not play)... 41-7 doesn't scream we made an effort when you're on the losing end at halftime... even scoring 24 in the 2nd half was not much of an effort when FAU scored 28 and put in a WR at QB the last few drives.. 

We can say the offense was PART of the problem but im sorry, not many offenses can go out and score on 10 straight offense drives. Teams will go 3 and out or have a turnover but this defense allowed FAU to score on 10 STRAIGHT offense drives. This defense got bullied and beaten from the first snap of the game of the game and they have no excuse for that.. If this defense got tired, why did they not call a timeout? why did they not fake an injury, again how do I as a fan know this but yet NO ONE on the defense knows/thinks this.. This offense has pulled ALOT more weight than this defense and if you haven't noticed that, then you need to re-evaluate... 

We have no idea why SL left is Fine, and it was pointless to leave him if you wanted him to prove he could perform without quitting.. The kid is and was banged up from UTSA (recall the last hit he took??)... Fine just needed 1 hit and he blows out a knee,  gets a nasty concussion, re-rolls an ankle etc... Fine proved he can perform without quitting at SMU... He proved that vs UTSA on the luck drive.. He has proven it multiple times.. The difference between SMU and FAU is that SMU was the 2nd game of the season (and you have weeks for him to come back), this is mid-season and you are in the drivers seat for the West.. YOU DO NOT RISK FINE WHEN DOWN 5 (nearly) TOUCHDOWNS AT HALF TIME, to try and find out something... Fine was not the problem at FAU, nor has he been the problem at all this year, and now if Fine goes down we have a back up QB who has gotten 2 plays vs Iowa, 2/3 drives vs Lamar and 3 handoffs vs WKU and a True-Freshman with 0... FAU was the prime time to get Quinn in, when SL has talked about the leadership and abilities of the young man. 

The 10 point W for UNT predcition is sad because it should be A LOT BIGGER than 10. This defense needs to have a solid game vs UTSA and an abortition of game vs FAU.. They need to hold ODU to  under 20, ideally under 400 (hopefully 300) yards, and get MULTIPLE INTs and Fumbles.. If they go out and have an UAB performance and not a 2nd half USM performance, this defense is lost and has been exposed... They need to have a 2nd half USM performance to restore any confidence from a vast # of fans... 

Our heads were so big, they could walk in a straight line last week. We right the ship this week and win by 14. No matter the amount, we win by 14.

***I want to see this team play a full four quarters (EFFORT). We havent done that once this year. If we do play the whole game and not take a quarter off, we will win by 3 scores or more.***

• Lovely Take 1

This is a must win game for NT.

We will find out if the FAU disaster was an aberration or was the 3-0 Western Division record just a team playing way above their talent level. 

If NT doesn't have enough talent and emotion to bound back after a total football embarrassment, than this whole season may be wasted. 

I think they will. 

NT 47 ODU 24

• Lovely Take 1