Home Of The 109th Ranked Defense

FirefightnRick

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

It's not 1 bad game. It's been 6 pretty bad defensive performances in 7 games. I'll call it 5.5 bad defensive performances. They fought well vs Iowa for a bit. This one just snowballed out of control. We could just as easily be 2-5, just like ODU. We aren't, so count your lucky stars for it. Nothing leads me to believe we will beat LaTech in Ruston. Nothing leads me to believe that ODU will be a a pushover. 

Please go tell the defense that won the USM and UTSA games for us that those were "bad performances". So what if we don't beat LA Tech? Maybe we won't. We're in year two of a completely new system (AND WE WENT 1 AND DAMN 11 IN 2015) and the fact that anyone expects this team to win a championship is blasphemous. It takes time to become good. Be patient and optimistic because you finally have an AD and football staff that might finally take us to the next level.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, llaacy said:

Please go tell the defense that won the USM and UTSA games for us that those were "bad performances". So what if we don't beat LA Tech? Maybe we won't. We're in year two of a completely new system (AND WE WENT 1 AND DAMN 11 IN 2015) and the fact that anyone expects this team to win a championship is blasphemous. It takes time to become good. Be patient and optimistic because you finally have an AD and football staff that might finally take us to the next level.

Says it all for many.  👍👍

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

I don't. I feel happy for them. They told a dude half way through year 2 to kick rocks because he's sucking at 5-13. He went 5-7 last year and the rumblings from fans at poor lil old Ga Southern were to the point that the athletic director had to come out and give that coach a public vote of confidence. Sounds eerily familiar, but the opposite??? haha  They made a big time move, because they have at least big time aspirations. And they'd be damned if they applauded 5-7 let alone give a raise and extension. Only. At. UNT. 

Only At UNT . . .  would you compare what Danny Mac left and what Willie Fritz left and think "hey, these two are exactly the same."

Nothing was familiar about this. Not eerily. Not spookily. Nope.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, llaacy said:

I would tend to agree with you except that the defense is allowing more points per game than last year. So, the defense has regressed. We are winning games based on offensive performance. The UTSA win was bad play calling by UTSA. Had they thrown the ball, I am convinced they would have picked up the first down because our defense has not proven they can stop any type of passing. We got lucky that they chose to run 3 straight times. As far as USM, they dropped a lot of open passes. Wasn't really anything we did. This defense has been skating by because the offense has been saving them.

6 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Danny Mac and his pro style approach at least got us a bowl game win. Littrell hasn't won shit, and this is the second year in a row he's been completely embarrassed at least one game this season.

I certainly wouldn't want Mac back, just his DC John Skladany. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Venson said:

I would tend to agree with you except that the defense is allowing more points per game than last year. So, the defense has regressed. We are winning games based on offensive performance. The UTSA win was bad play calling by UTSA. Had they thrown the ball, I am convinced they would have picked up the first down because our defense has not proven they can stop any type of passing. We got lucky that they chose to run 3 straight times. As far as USM, they dropped a lot of open passes. Wasn't really anything we did. This defense has been skating by because the offense has been saving them.

Baylor won two conference championships very recently with little defensive talent. All you need this day in age is a bend but don't break defense and we have that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, llaacy said:

Really can't wait to see how everyone who bitches about one bad game and starts calling for Littrell and Reffett's jobs reacts when we finish 8-4 and win the CUSA West. 

While all of us would be happy with 8-4 and the CUSA west... the defense has regressed.. Our 2 best defensive players (Brooks and McClain) are either on the bench because they got burned for weeks and McClain is not playing to the standard he played at last year.. The defense heck even regressed last year after playing Army...

This is not just a 1 bad game, this was one game that looked like a damn walk-through.. The FAU RBs running over LBs everytime, the secondary getting burned, how many long TD runs did FAU have and NO ONE touch the guy, how many missed tackles did we have? We can say how they were tired but yet not one player called a Timeout, players can call time outs not just SL, hell they can fake a damn cramp if anything... 

The defense gave up what, 38 straight points to SMU? They gave 43 to UAB.. They got walked over by USM in the first half, then grew a spine in the 2nd.. UTSA yes they allowed 26 points, but how many 3rd and long did they give up, how many QB runs did they give up? FAU they gave up something like 11 straight scoring drives... 

Dear lord, get off the hype train for Reff... This game alone nearly increased the PPG allow by 5, thats nearly a TOUCHDOWN.. The defense has been horrible.. This defense everyone said was more aggressive but yet we are not getting the turnovers.. Reff has the remaining games to prove this defense can work, and lets hope he can vs the likes of Army, UTEP, Rice, and ODU (who has a freshman 17 yr old QB)... 

Baylor won two conference championships very recently with little defensive talent. All you need this day in age is a bend but don't break defense and we have that.

They won championships because they were they the top seed in the BIG12 with no championship game.. So with us comparing UNT to Baylor that title would go to either Marshall or FAU... not UNT..

Also, how did that Baylor team fair vs UCF and Blake Bortles? 

I agree accept for a defense that is giving up over 37 points a game, that's not bending anymore, you are broken. The only reason it is not over 40 points a game is because Iowa took a knee inside the 5 and they high stepped into the end zone. They are beyond bending.

I’m so upset we have a winning record. 

I get it. This last game and SMU were a complete annihalation of the defense. Last 3 seasons - maybe more - we’ve had some of the worsts defenses in the nation.  

We were left with poor talent on defense and we haven’t replaced the talent (or schemed those deficiencies) like we did on offense.

There’s only so far this defense will take us. It’s on the offense this season. 

One game at a time. If we lose to ODU then I’ll overreact with y’all. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, llaacy said:

The logic behind saying a team isn't good because of one bad game is exactly what I'm trying to disprove. 

It wasn't 1 game for UNT...

SMU, FAU just this year through 7 games... 

Last year it was WKU, UTSA, UTEP, MTSU that were blowout, or blowouts and then all of the sudden the offense moves the ball and scores 1 or 2 times late to go from losing by 3/4 scores to 2... 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

Last year it was WKU, UTSA, UTEP, MTSU that were blowout, or blowouts and then all of the sudden the offense moves the ball and scores 1 or 2 times late to go from losing by 3/4 scores to 2... 

We. Went. 1. And. 11. Two. Years. Ago.

It was year one of a completely new system. It requires patience. Just by beating UTEP and Rice, we're going to improve our win total in two straight years. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, llaacy said:

The logic behind saying a team isn't good because of one bad game is exactly what I'm trying to disprove. 

Not saying the team is bad, just that the defense is. I know it's a team sport, but damn that defense is a huge liability. You can't replace the players. You have to play with what you have. You can only recruit better, bring in better JUCO talent and coach up what you have. The problem is we haven't coached up what we have. The offense has made great strides, but the defense is regressing.

4 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I’m so upset we have a winning record. 

I get it. This last game and SMU were a complete annihalation of the defense. Last 3 seasons - maybe more - we’ve had some of the worsts defenses in the nation.  

We were left with poor talent on defense and we haven’t replaced the talent (or schemed those deficiencies) like we did on offense.

There’s only so far this defense will take us. It’s on the offense this season. 

One game at a time. If we lose to ODU then I’ll overreact with y’all. 

The defense last year was in the 60s in ranking, while not great... This years defense is terrible with it being 109 and  nearly twice the ranking of this current defense.. 

1 minute ago, llaacy said:

It was year one of a completely new system. It requires patience. Just by beating UTEP and Rice, we're going to improve our win total in two straight years. 

Now that I can agree with. I was just hoping to see the defense make the same progress as the offense.

Just now, Venson said:

Now that I can agree with. I was just hoping to see the defense make the same progress as the offense.

As would all of us. Just give this staff time to recruit and establish something. We're a year and a half into a completely new system. Most of our defensive starters are McCarney era players anyway.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

The defense last year was in the 60s in ranking, while not great... This years defense is terrible with it being 109 and  nearly twice the ranking of this current defense.. 

We had a really soft schedule last year and a deeper LB core. 

We don’t have a complete roster, and the transition on defense is far from complete. 

We’re working with Mac players, plus 13 months worth of two SL classes. 

We’re not close to where we need to be, and frankly I’m surprised the offensive turnaround was so dramatic. 

And you know what? This attitude is good. 

SL set a bar and this is obviously unacceptable rather than being just another Saturday for North Texas. 

1 minute ago, llaacy said:

Patience.. Dude they get paid to fix this stuff.. The players have been in this system for over a year now... 

Last year the defense was in the 60s/70s.. and now 109.. How does patience explain this? They have had more team in this defense.. Remember EK and Reff were both new last year, and EK was calling a scheme/system he had never been in before and got us to that ranking.. 

4 minutes ago, llaacy said:

As would all of us. Just give this staff time to recruit and establish something. We're a year and a half into a completely new system. Most of our defensive starters are McCarney era players anyway.

They, the players, have been in this system longer than a season and a half.. This is semester 4 for them in this offense and defense.. 

They are not breaking in freshman or sophomores on this defense.. Khari and Hambone are the youngest, and they are 2 of the better players on all of the defense.. 

Reffs job is the put the 11 best out there, and with that being said.. If the guys from the past coaching staff do not fit your scheme why are they out there? You recruited Hall, Jenkins but yet Jenkins started on the bench?

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Patience.. Dude they get paid to fix this stuff.. The players have been in this system for over a year now... 

Last year the defense was in the 60s/70s.. and now 109.. How does patience explain this? They have had more team in this defense.. Remember EK and Reff were both new last year, and EK was calling a scheme/system he had never been in before and got us to that ranking.. 

We. Don’t. Have. Enough. Players. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Aldo said:

We had a really soft schedule last year and a deeper LB core. 

We don’t have a complete roster, and the transition on defense is far from complete. 

We’re working with Mac players, plus 13 months worth of two SL classes. 

We’re not close to where we need to be, and frankly I’m surprised the offensive turnaround was so dramatic. 

And you know what? This attitude is good. 

SL set a bar and this is obviously unacceptable rather than being just another Saturday for North Texas. 

Softer schedule really? 

We played UF compared to Iowa.. We played BC vs a Lamar team this year that only practiced a few times leading up the game.. We played a down marshall team similar to ODU, WKU which is like FAU, and MTSU instead of UAB... 

Sure the LB corp is deeper, but they were happy with what they had.. 

3 minutes ago, Aldo said:

We. Don’t. Have. Enough. Players. 

Last year they had enough players, but this year they don't? 

This is year 2...

A number of Reff guys are playing... McDonald, EJ, Hall, Jenkins, Khari... that is nearly 1/2 the defense.. the logic that he doesn't have his "guys" is funny.. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

WKU/MTSU were clearly better than NT on both sides of the ball.

UTSA was a blowout late because the offense had four turnovers, including some really ridiculous ones that gave UTSA a short field.

UTEP was embarrassing. This FAU loss felt like that. Felt a little like the SMU game also.

As @Aldo said, this is on the offense this season. SMU, USM, FAU -- the offense started slowly and the other team took advantage of short fields and turnovers. Difference was that NT only woke up against SMU late, USM in the second Q and FAU in the 4th.

Even against UTSA this year, the offense disappeared in the middle quarters and nearly lost the game.

15 minutes ago, llaacy said:

Fine, Guyton, Rico, Lawerence, Henson, Mayfield and the rotation at C is 1/2 SL/GH guys.. I will split Rico/Smiley with the Center for 1 total new guy.. That is 6 guys on offense which is more than half of them being SL guys..

McDonald, EJ, Wheeler, Hall, Jenkins, Khari.. again 6 guys on defense with it not including Hambone who should be...

Both sides of the ball are more than half SL/GH/TR guys.. the logic that most is not stupid... 

3 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

WKU/MTSU were clearly better than NT on both sides of the ball.

UTSA was a blowout late because the offense had four turnovers, including some really ridiculous ones that gave UTSA a short field.

UTEP was embarrassing. This FAU loss felt like that. Felt a little like the SMU game also.

As @Aldo said, this is on the offense this season. SMU, USM, FAU -- the offense started slowly and the other team took advantage of short fields and turnovers. Difference was that NT only woke up against SMU late, USM in the second Q and FAU in the 4th.

Even against UTSA this year, the offense disappeared in the middle quarters and nearly lost the game.

Again... if you look at the games compared to this year and last year.. This year is games are better than the teams we faced..

So yes its surprising that we are 4-3.. But again the defense has been BAILED OUT repeatedly.. We could be 2-5 if it were not for special teams vs UAB on the KR and GW FG, and "The Drive".. 2 minutes changed our season just like how UTSA was 0-2 in conference by a combine 5 points or something along those lines when they played USM and UNT..

All of us, even Ben would be happy with 8-4 and clinching the west.. But giving up C-USA conference records is bad.. We can understand laying an egg vs SMU even if we don't like it.. But FAU WAS BAD...

We talk that this defense is only in season 2 of the system.. FAU is in season 1, what games 7?  

29 minutes ago, llaacy said:

FAU is in year 1 of its systems (games 7) and they are setting CUSA records for total offense in a game.. We are in year 2 of Reff

44 minutes ago, llaacy said:

FAU. Went. 3-9. Last. Year. And. The. Year. Before. And we are the ones in year 2. FAU, the team that drubbed us, is in year 1 (week 7) of their new system. 

At what point do we stop dragging along 1-11. Your record says you are what your record says you are is the phrase, but a game (prime example last Saturday) can contradict that and a season final standing can be deceitful. We aren't as bad as what the final score was. And FAU isn't as good as that final score says. In 2015, we weren't as bad as what the record says from a talent standpoint, that is. We are recruiting the very exact same leading up into that year and now the following years. Our 8-12th ranked CUSA classes have not changed. And with great help Saturday, may not start to any time soon. 

And your saving grace is we will improve on our win total if we beat 2 teams that are like 1-9 combined. Man, the future is bright. 

1 hour ago, aztecskin said:

Only At UNT . . .  would you compare what Danny Mac left and what Willie Fritz left and think "hey, these two are exactly the same."

Nothing was familiar about this. Not eerily. Not spookily. Nope.

Our recruiting has not changed. Talent-wise, we are in the same boat as we always have been. 1-11, 4-8, 3-9 whatever. It's all the same. Mac let the wheels fall off this program and RV stood by and watched. The talent has stayed par for the course. It's not as if we had absolute scrubs on this team in 2015. If so, 2016 would've been 0-12 to 2-10. So, yeah, I will compare it. They are Georgia Southern after all. It's not as if Wille Fritz left behind studs across the board. Get serious. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Man, the future is bright. 

The future is very bright. Look at how the 1-11 team turned into a 5-8 team and very likely to be at least 7-5 heading into the postseason. We still have a chance at the division. We have no control over the east (and never really did) until we (hopefully) play them for the conference championship and then a bowl game. Having 8-9 maybe up to 11 wins after winning just 5 last year is an improvement. All of our offensive skill players and most of the line will be returning next year and the year after. Bryce English will provide some depth on the D Line. If we can get some depth behind Wheeler and Ejiyah, then our LB core will be great. The biggest thing we are losing is Trevor Moore and Jeffrey Wilson. I think the future looks great. Our nonconference schedule next year is Liberty, SMU, Incarnate Word, and Arkansas. Very good chance to win double digit wins next year. Yes I think the defense needs a lot of improvement, but let's trust Wren and Seth to make the changes that are needed, if they even are needed after this year. 

Edited by greeneagle1
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

So yes its surprising that we are 4-3.. But again the defense has been BAILED OUT repeatedly.. We could be 2-5 if it were not for special teams vs UAB on the KR and GW FG, and "The Drive".. 2 minutes changed our season just like how UTSA was 0-2 in conference by a combine 5 points 

I’m pulling my hair out that you’re calling it bailed out. You accept (like me) that the defense is bad, but the other facets of the game are good enough to keep us afloat, at minimum, give us a winning record at most. 

Bailed out or the other facets of the game we improved and able to overcome our defensive problems? Because it is a problem, but there’s been enough improvement in coaching, talent, and scheme to keep the defense off the field. 

The offense, Trevor Moore, and outcoaching the other team has put us at 4-3. The defense has almost snatched the 4-3 away. But it wasn’t. 

33 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We talk that this defense is only in season 2 of the system.. FAU is in season 1, what games 7?  

FAU is in year 1 of its systems (games 7) and they are setting CUSA records for total offense in a game.. We are in year 2 of Reff

This offense is in year two and will be setting team records. 

This defense made FAU look better than they actually are. 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Again... if you look at the games compared to this year and last year.. This year is games are better than the teams we faced..

So yes its surprising that we are 4-3.. But again the defense has been BAILED OUT repeatedly.. We could be 2-5 if it were not for special teams vs UAB on the KR and GW FG, and "The Drive".. 2 minutes changed our season just like how UTSA was 0-2 in conference by a combine 5 points or something along those lines when they played USM and UNT..

Obviously one very important thing about that game is already being forgotten: The defense held UTSA to only 63 yards, 1/5 on 3rd downs and 3 points in the 3rd quarter. Also, they got the ball back for the offense to have the Drive. Who bailed out whom? Seems like it was a complimentary team effort.

Also, the point about players and 'enough' players is about depth, not individual talents. When Nate Brooks was getting beat, they subbed in Eric Jenkins a starter-level talent. When others are not playing well we . . . try to make do. That's the point about depth. There needs to be talent behind the starters to push and fill in.