Biggest game in the SL era against FAU

p_phelps

Here's a scary stat:

FAU Points Off Turnovers  41 - 7  

If we come out sloppy, FAU appears to be pretty opportunistic in their secondary.  Teams have piled up yardage, but not points.

Team needs to avoid the inevitable comedown off the high of last week's emotional last second win.  Not to mention all the extra press and watch list accolades that have been added this week.

• Upvote 1

I reserve judgement cause I am assuming by big you mean progression toward Apogee being 90% full for at least conference games.  When UNT had their Sun Belt undefeated run it didn’t get those apathetic students and alumni who watch others college football games to Fouts. We blamed schedule an unpregitous conference.  We get Apogee, an experienced P5 level program head coach go to New Year’s Day Bowl Game in Dallas and win.  Season opener next season you think 26,000 buts in seats, wrong!  People expect the Mean Green to perform like UT or Texas A&M would if they were in this conference.  But what makes those programs go is Fan Support.  Maybe Seth should make a challenge for the rest of the season.  Sellout 2 of the remaining home games and I guarantee I will be back with the best recruiting class UNT has seem since returning to FBS level play. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Here's a scary stat:

If we come out sloppy, FAU appears to be pretty opportunistic in their secondary.  Teams have piled up yardage, but not points.

Team needs to avoid the inevitable comedown off the high of last week's emotional last second win.  Not to mention all the extra press and watch list accolades that have been added this week.

They've played some weak QBs but Mason Fine is a little interception-prone under some circumstances. I believe in the mean green tho

14 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Here's a scary stat:

I totally agree here... specifically Fine & Guyton... need to keep working hard.

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

He TD/INT ratio is 2.8, that is the best we have had since the return to 1A... except for Scott Hall.  

Yeah I know I wrote about how good he has been. But like, in specific scenarios --- when he rolls out of the pocket is when he's thrown picks. I can't think of all of them off the top of my head right now but SMU, UTSA both were roll outs.

It's a real obvious point to make -- distressed QBs make more mistakes than QBs in a clean pocket but I just wanted to note when Mason has been vulnerable.

I don't think the cfbstats have anything on roll out throws but if anyone one on here has been tracking his tosses, that would be a fun stat.

Just now, aztecskin said:

Yeah I know I wrote about how good he has been. But like, in specific scenarios --- when he rolls out of the pocket is when he's thrown picks. I can't think of all of them off the top of my head right now but SMU, UTSA both were roll outs.

A lot of his best throws were also on rollouts.  Everyone is going to throw picks, in any offense.  The difference across eras/systems is hard to measure, but I always thought TD/INT was a very good one.

BTW his TD/INT is 4.0 in CUSA play.

Just now, Cerebus said:

A lot of his best throws were also on rollouts.  Everyone is going to throw picks, in any offense.  The difference across eras/systems is hard to measure, but I always thought TD/INT was a very good one.

yeah like pressured roll outs. not designed ones. I don't think FAU is going to force too many TOs from him. Then again I didn't think UTSA would be able to either.

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

Here's a scary stat:

Yeah they got 4 INTs off of ODU's freshman QB who currently has a 42% completion rating currently sitting at 5 TD/8 INT.

Another 3 INTs off of Stockstill's back up at MTSU. Urza has thrown 10 INT and 7 TD on the year. If you take away those 7 they are -1 in the turnover department.

41 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

1.9% INT rate vs conference

ETA: 2 INTs in 103 Pass attempts

Edited by Aldo

50 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

This is really what makes Briles/Kiffin dangerous. The WR was supposed to be suspended pending the charges. The charges are still pending and they activate him because they need some big plays in a big game.

But why wouldn't they? They took their very first recruit in the Kiffin era with video footage of him hitting a woman. There is at least one more big time signing with similar charges. Briles is still part of one of the biggest scandals in the NCAA. Reggie Bush was treated worse than the Briles for taking side money. He doesn't care about anything other than winning. I suspect FAU will pay the toll to cross this bridge when Kiffin leaves.

Woods coming back is a non-factor to me.  Guy has constantly disappeared on game day.  Yes he 900+ receiving last year but he is not a great player.  His suspension was handled 100% by the university not the athletic department or football office.  He was given a no trespass order when this blew up.  The university allowed him back on campus a week or two before the semester started.  He lost his scholarship and he is paying his own way.  His ability to play was due to him completing certain things dictated by the university.  if I could make the rules his days at FAU would be over.

As for Deandre Johnson he was recruited and signed before Kiffin was hired.  Johnson's career may be over due to blood clots similar to Chris Bosh's issue with the Heat.  

You guys probably know more about Briles than I do, but other than being at Baylor and accused of silly comment I don't see where he was implicated in that mess.  My opinion is that Briles career is probably relegated to an FAU situation and Power 5 is a pipe dream.

Should any coach care about anything but winning?  I have met Kiffin (and Briles) at several private events so far and I have read a lot about them I don't see or hear the things people seem to accuse him of.  Kiffin has a pretty dry sense of humor  and he may be one of the best offensive minds in the game.  I expect him to be with us next year and probably move on to Gainesville.

Edited by FAU Connoisseur
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

Woods coming back is a non-factor to me.  Guy has constantly disappeared on game day.  Yes he 900+ receiving last year but he is not a great player.  His suspension was handled 100% by the university not the athletic department or football office.  He was given a no trespass order when this blew up.  The university allowed him back on campus a week or two before the semester started.  He lost his scholarship and he is paying his own way.  His ability to play was due to him completing certain things dictated by the university.  if I could make the rules his days at FAU would be over.

As for Deandre Johnson he was recruited and signed before Kiffin was hired.  Johnson's career may be over due to blood clots similar to Chris Bosh's issue with the Heat.  

You guys probably know more about Briles than I do, but other than being at Baylor and accused of silly comment I don't see where he was implicated in that mess.  My opinion is that Briles career is probably relegated to an FAU situation and Power 5 is a pipe dream.

Should any coach care about anything but winning?  I have met Kiffin (and Briles) at several private events so far and I have read a lot about them I don't see or hear the things people seem to accuse him of.  Kiffin has a pretty dry sense of humor  and he may be one of the best offensive minds in the game.  I expect him to be with us next year and probably move on to Gainesville.

Little Briles is just as guilty as his dad of actively covering for rapists and criminals on his team. He's toxic, and it says a lot about FAU that he got a job there.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

You guys probably know more about Briles than I do, but other than being at Baylor and accused of silly comment I don't see where he was implicated in that mess.  

Do you mean besides the NCAA recruiting violations Baylor admitted Kendal Briles and other assistant coaches committed?  

14 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

Should any coach care about anything but winning?  

Maybe, maybe not.  Should an alumnus care about who is hired to represent them, their university, and their degree? Yes.  

13 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

Appreciate the feedback. Sorry about Johnson's health, but according to everything I can find he was touted by the Kiffin era's first recruit. You're obviously much closer to the program. Woods shouldn't be on the team. Period. Chris Kiffin has faced some allegations from his time at Ol' Miss. There are several other players dismissed from programs and a lawsuit against Kiffin over McGriff. I'm not saying they aren't personable personalities for the program, but we do tend to think the ethics portion of CFB is as important as the winning. We understand that is a disadvantage and that not all fans feel that way.

As far as what happened at Baylor. You'll find zero sympathy for father or son. That many problems don't arise without the staff knowing about it. It was a systemic problem. And if by some miracle they were ignorant, they didn't care about it enough to look.