Week 8 Bowl Projections

AustinFromUNT

I really hope that we get a chance to play (and beat) a Power 5 program. It's one thing to beat a UNLV or a Memphis but a completely different fan perception beating an Arizona or any other mid-level P5 program. 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That Arizona QB is a beast running the ball.  Considering how we defend running QB's, I might prefer someone besides Arizona.

I think we can beat Nebraska, still would like playing them.

Would love to play them in the arm forces bowl in Ft. worth!

Edited by p_phelps

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21030207/week-7-college-football-bowl-projections-2017

Gildan New Mexico Bowl

Bonagura: FAU vs. San Diego State
Hale: North Texas vs. Wyoming

Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl

Bonagura: North Texas vs. Army
Hale: Marshall vs. Army

They have UAB against Maryland in the HOD bowl. I'd think we'd get that invite over them.

Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl

Bonagura: Maryland vs. UAB
Hale: Northwestern vs. Oregon

47 minutes ago, brooks91 said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21030207/week-7-college-football-bowl-projections-2017

Gildan New Mexico Bowl

Bonagura: FAU vs. San Diego State
Hale: North Texas vs. Wyoming

Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl

Bonagura: North Texas vs. Army
Hale: Marshall vs. Army

They have UAB against Maryland in the HOD bowl. I'd think we'd get that invite over them.

Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl

Bonagura: Maryland vs. UAB
Hale: Northwestern vs. Oregon

Since Conference USA no longer has the tie in to HoD, one of the tie in conferences would have to run out of eligible schools for that to happen.  Not sure if Bonagura realizes the HoD tie ins changed this season. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

13 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Given the ticket sales at the last two HOD games we've been to, and the fact that ESPN still controls the universe, I don't see us travelling unless we win the conference outright.  I'm calling Armed Forces vs. Army...again... because f us, right? We'll buy the tickets. 

I really think we're going to the HoD Bowl again. Especially, if we win C-USA. It might be the only bowl game our conference gets versus a P5 program. 

No way in hell we're playing Army four times in two years...right?!?

The simple fact is there isn’t enough of us.  I can count the number of alumni from my class that has been to more than one game since graduation on one hand.   But if this team runs the table and sells out the last home regular season game and the CUSA title game they could go anywhere.

26 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Given the ticket sales at the last two HOD games we've been to, and the fact that ESPN still controls the universe, I don't see us travelling unless we win the conference outright.  I'm calling Armed Forces vs. Army...again... because f us, right? We'll buy the tickets. 

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

The simple fact is there isn’t enough of us.  I can count the number of alumni from my class that has been to more than one game since graduation on one hand.   But if this team runs the table and sells out the last home regular season game and the CUSA title game they could go anywhere.

I have a metric shiton of vacation that I have to take.  I would not hate the notion of going to New Orleans since I wasn't around for that first run of NOLA bowls.  I doubt I'd go much farther though with having to pay full fare airline tickets and hotel rooms on such short notice. I most certainly wouldn't do something like the Bahamas bowl.  I forget who played in that last year, but they talked to several fans who flew in that morning, watched the game, and flew out that night because it was otherwise prohibitively expensive. 

So I think NOLA is a nine-hour drive from where I live.  That's where I'm setting my travel radius for a bowl game.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I really think we're going to the HoD Bowl again. Especially, if we win C-USA. It might be the only bowl game our conference gets versus a P5 program. 

No way in hell we're playing Army four times in two years...right?!?

I think the HoD bowl would want a CUSA Champion Mean Green Team.  Bowl committees pay attention to match up also.  And anyone involved with this potential rematch wouldn’t be excited about it.  

That is why I would prefer a home and home series with Hawaii and/or San Diego.  Or maybe payday games against USC and UCLA 2 out of every 3 years.  A definitive schedule gives at least a 6 month window  to save for the trip.  I think our program as whole needs more games against the PAC 12 and Mountain West.    Hitting that 9:00 pm CST window on Saturday would probably be the best TV exposure for away games.  Any of the teams out there only USC and Stanford consistently have teams that would embarrass decent Mean Green teams.   All the rest of the games vs competition out West could and should look like the game against Iowa.

16 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I have a metric shiton of vacation that I have to take.  I would not hate the notion of going to New Orleans since I wasn't around for that first run of NOLA bowls.  I doubt I'd go much farther though with having to pay full fare airline tickets and hotel rooms on such short notice. I most certainly wouldn't do something like the Bahamas bowl.  I forget who played in that last year, but they talked to several fans who flew in that morning, watched the game, and flew out that night because it was otherwise prohibitively expensive. 

So I think NOLA is a nine-hour drive from where I live.  That's where I'm setting my travel radius for a bowl game.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I think the HoD bowl would want a CUSA Champion Mean Green Team.  Bowl committees pay attention to match up also.  And anyone involved with this potential rematch wouldn’t be excited about it.  

Heart of Dallas isn’t tied to Conference USA anymore.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.landof10.com/big-ten/big-ten-heart-of-dallas-bowl/amp

Swapped with Armed Forces Bowl. 

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Heart of Dallas isn’t tied to Conference USA anymore.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.landof10.com/big-ten/big-ten-heart-of-dallas-bowl/amp

Swapped with Armed Forces Bowl. 

I thought the CUSA tie-in was dropped for this season only. It's what I've read in several articles. While the Big10 has a tie-in with the HOD Bowl, they seem to only send a team every other year to play.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/college-football-bowl-predictions-week-8-alabama-georgia-tcu-clemson-penn-state/s3ab0cpgfaqf1d8fpbayf9y7v

Has us playing in the HoD against K-State!

Loving this type of prediction.

image.png.bfdbaf42526d9eddc333a266d9b04301.pngAlso, I know its from Wikipedia, but if we had to choose a bowl, I am not even sure which one I would choose. 

I know people don't/wouldn't like it but I would love to play in the Armed Forces Bowl (even if its vs Army)... Really think a lot of people would come out to Ft.Worth to see the game, and would be awesome to see Downtown Ft.Worth in Green... Think it would another way to market the team/school in FTW as well. 

Also, with how Fine and Guyton are playing right now.. I don't think anyone on the Army Roster can/could match up.. Army is a respectable team and it could/would be a good way to go into the off-season with a big W

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I would love the New Mexico bowl or New Orleans personally. Honestly, anything but Army for the 4th time in 2 years would be fantastic.

Honestly, with the trajectory we're on, I think something would have to go wrong for either of those bowls.  C-USA is not going to send a champ or runner-up to play the SBC champ in NO.   And I think the NM Bowl is down in the CUSA bowl pecking order, playing a mid-range MWC team.    But, we'll see.  I know I'd be at either game.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Honestly, with the trajectory we're on, I think something would have to go wrong for either of those bowls.  C-USA is not going to send a champ or runner-up to play the SBC champ in NO.   And I think the NM Bowl is down in the CUSA bowl pecking order, playing a mid-range MWC team.    But, we'll see.  I know I'd be at either game.

UTSA board, said they would like to go back to the New Mexico Bowl (if they get to 6 wins)