FOOTBALL North Texas Riding Mason Fine's Deep Ball To Historic Start

Harry

North Texas trailed Southern Miss 21-14 with 45 seconds remaining in the first half in Week 5. Following a loss on first down and false start, they faced a 2nd-and-16 from their own 14-yard-line. Instead of packing it in, Mean Green head coach Seth Littrell showed trust in his sophomore quarterback.

Mason Fine faked the handoff to running back Jeffery Wilson, took a five-step drop and launched deep to Caleb Chumley for a 43-yard gain that set up a last-second field goal.

Yep, Fine's shoulder is just . . . fine.

Fine was the lone quarterback signee in Littrell's first class in Denton. The 5-foot-11, 180-pound two-star recruit from Oklahoma committed to the program during a visit in January 2016, seven weeks after Littrell, also a native Oklahoman, was hired.

“After Seth saw the film, he said, ‘I’ve got to have this guy," recalled Matt Hennesy, Fine's coach at Locust Grove High School. “I’ve been doing this for 25 years, and Mason is the best high school quarterback I’ve seen.”

read more:  https://m.herosports.com/college-football/north-texas-football-mason-fine-start-ahah

I took some early heat on this forum for being so in Mason Fine's corner last year.  Yes, he has many QB skills, but his being a Field General is what IMHO puts him a cut above.  Littrell I believe saw that before signing him from Locust Grove HS in the great state of Oklahoma.

Sure, Mason will  probably still have an occasional down game since he's only human, but his upside with a bunch of well-coached talent around him could help create for UNT a "system" kind of program where we have many winning seasons. 

GMG!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

His biggest flaw as a freshman was inability to throw the ball away when he needed to.  He has improved markedly on this.  

I agree completely.  He could throw it far, but never trusted his line to protect him long enough for his guys to get open (make no mistake, Guyton helps here).  He's a very nice QB now that he's making better decisions with the ball.

• Upvote 2

If you watch the GIF in the article, Fine is standing on the 5 and threw it to about the opposite 45. That's a 50 yard pass and he hit Chumley in stride. What a throw!

I'm excited to see him get even better!!

Edit: added gif from article

Mason-Fine-North-Texas.gif

Edited by brooks91
added gif
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

Wait...I remember certain people swearing that we lost games early this year because Fine was incapable of throwing deep, or the coaches didn't trust him to throw deep.  Now you tell me that they trust him and his deep ball ability is what is propelling this offense???

I may need a banner...

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I like what Mason has done, but when I saw Shanbour come in against Iowa, make that one keeper and then threw the TD pass, I really wanted to see what he is capable of. With his HT vs Mason's HT, it could be intriguing to see who is better in a game instead of practice. Obviously, this is not the game to do that in.

Edited by Venson
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Venson said:

I like what Mason has done, but when I saw Shanbour come in against Iowa, make that one keeper and then threw the TD pass, I really wanted to see what he is capable of. With his HT vs Mason's HT, it could be intriguing to see who is better in a game instead of practice. Obviously, this is not the game to do that in.

What that brief appearance in the Iowa game showed is...

A. Why the QB competition was so close in the spring and fall.

B. Taking Fine out with an injury will NOT provide any relief for our opposition.

C. We haven't been this two-deep at QB in.....well...almost decades(Jordan Case & Joe Stevenson in 78-79). I'm talking almost no change in ability and QB skills if a change in QB happens in a game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, brooks91 said:

If you watch the GIF in the article, Fine is standing on the 5 and threw it to about the opposite 45. That's a 50 yard pass and he hit Chumley in stride. What a throw!

I'm excited to see him get even better!!

Edit: added gif from article

Mason-Fine-North-Texas.gif

i think i said this after i first saw the highlight film. it's not just the distance, not just the fact that he hits him in stride, but also the fact that he puts the ball in a bucket where neither of the two defenders has a play on the ball at all.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, LongJim said:

He's got good touch on the deep ball.

The angst last year over the performance of a TRUE FRESHMAN QB was pretty comical.

Just want him to stay upright for 8 more games.

Exactly. He performed admirably for a true freshman and showed glimpses of being amazing.

This kid is gonna set every single UNT QB record.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Exactly. He performed admirably for a true freshman and showed glimpses of being amazing.

This kid is gonna set every single UNT QB record.

We've only scratched the surface with this guy.   He's still a true Sophomore.  His best years are still ahead of him.  I happen to agree with your prediction.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, brooks91 said:

I agree. He definitely gets credit for an awesome catch!

he has great hands and would love to see him more involved in the offense.

2 hours ago, golfingomez said:

i think i said this after i first saw the highlight film. it's not just the distance, not just the fact that he hits him in stride, but also the fact that he puts the ball in a bucket where neither of the two defenders has a play on the ball at all.

looking at the clip there was no one underneath and all receivers were down field.