Attendance Prediction Thread

AustinFromUNT

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Back in the day, the only influence the Texas/OU game had was the partying in downtown Dallas the night before.  Of which, I must confess, did attend.  

Of course, this was when all you had was ABC, CBS, NBC.  ABC usually telecast the college games.

You had to walk counter-clockwise if I remember correctly. ABC did by far the most college games - two each Saturday. And none were on the independent channels at all! 

TX/OU does impact those of us coming from out of town.  Hotel rates are higher, some hotels are sold out, and especially for those of us coming up I-45, we have to make sure to detour around downtown Dallas so as not to get stuck in traffic.  I have a friend here in Sugar Land, who went to NT at the same time I did, who decided to pass up this game because he doesn't want to deal with it.  So I'm sure there are others.

But I'll be there.

• Upvote 2

24,156 is my prediction and I don't buy into the TX/OU game being as big of an issue as some people think.

I'm quite impressed with how this game is being pushed by the athletic dept. I'd also like to add that since UNT has a winning record currently and the fact that we are playing a team on a straight shoot up 35, we'll be in attendance favor. I hate nUTSAck, but I respect the numbers them and UTEP have brought to apogee in the past. Much better than SMU.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So about the TX/OU game. 

I wonder how much that really affects our attendance. Does it really have a big impact? So do people that would normally go to Apogee go buy tickets and go to the TX/OU game? They're fans of TX or OU? They're big college football fans? 

I'm honestly asking because I don't know. Maybe I'm way off but I don't understand why that has such an impact in UNT home games. Are there that many die hard TX or OU fans in Denton? 

At maximum that might affect 1,000 potential “fans” from coming to the game.   Way more of those fans will sit at home and watch all the games than go to Apogee or the Cotton Bowl.  I am a huge FBS and even though I love the Mean Green I still feel the pinch of a small sacrifice when I go to a game and miss watching other great match ups on TV.   So any student or alumni that is more committed to being “entertained” than to what a good FBS team means to thier school and community will stay home.  The alumni and students that would sellout and actually go to TX\OU are a lost cause in my opinion.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

With it being as big of a game as everyone is making it to be, I do not see how we cannot get 28k-30k or maybe even a sellout. We got 24k in the stands for SMU last year. with a potential of 10k students going, that would be more than the total attendance for the lowest attendance ever at Apogee when we played UTEP in 2015 on thanksgiving weekend. 

Give me 29,231

• Upvote 1

The Texas/OU debate is pretty easy to answer.  We pretty well have a home game conflict with that event every freaking year.  Here are the numbers since Apogee opened:

Year - Opp - Att; Season #games/Avg Att

2016 - vs Marshall - 18,126; Season: 6/19,878

2015 - vs Portland St - 19,801; Season: 5/13631

2013 - vs MTSU - 21,171; Season: 7/23509

2011 - vs FAU - 13,142; Season: 6/18864

In 2015, we had our Homecoming game which helped bump attendance, only to have that crowd never return again for the rest of the year after that embarrassment.

Outside of that one season, it's pretty clear that we can expect fewer fans than our average when a home game conflicts with UT/OU.

Right now, through 2 games, we're averaging 19,867.  I think we'll have fewer than we had for Parent's weekend, despite a larger than normal student crowd potentially showing up this Saturday.  Give me 18,500.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/10/2017 at 1:15 PM, Green Crazy said:

True, but I've gone through unscanned before 

Since a moment of particular confusion with one of the scanny people at the gate once, I've made it a game to get into Apogee without getting my ticket scanned.  I'll either walk right on through or look at them and say, "Don't scan this!  I'm saving it!" or some such nonsense. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/10/2017 at 10:21 PM, Stix said:

TX/OU does impact those of us coming from out of town.  Hotel rates are higher, some hotels are sold out, and especially for those of us coming up I-45, we have to make sure to detour around downtown Dallas so as not to get stuck in traffic.  I have a friend here in Sugar Land, who went to NT at the same time I did, who decided to pass up this game because he doesn't want to deal with it.  So I'm sure there are others.

But I'll be there.

Take Highway 6 through College Station/Waco/Fort Worth.  Less traffic, less construction, Czech Stop in West, mkre people in Apogee!

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Take Highway 6 through College Station/Waco/Fort Worth.  Less traffic, less construction, Czech Stop in West, mkre people in Apogee!

I may, the Aggies are away this weekend.  Is the I-35 construction between Waco & Hillsboro completed? Last time I looked, there also was construction on 35W north of downtown Fort Worth. 

Last game, I got an early enough start that I took I-45 to 287 to 360 to FM2499, in the hope that the 360 construction was far enough along.  It wasn't, and they also have started construction on 287 from I-45 to I-35E.  Eventually that may be the route of choice.  I've also taken 360 to 114 to 377.

But yes, Czech Stop.

• Upvote 1

👨‍👨‍👦‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👦‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👦‍👦👩‍👩‍👦‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👩‍👧‍👦👩‍👧👨‍👨‍👦‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👦‍👦👩‍👩‍👦‍👦👩‍👩‍👦‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👦‍👦👨‍👨‍👦‍👦👨‍👨‍👦‍👦 👨‍👨‍👧‍👧👨‍👨‍👦‍👦👩‍👩‍👦‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👨‍👩‍👦‍👦👩‍👩‍👦‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👧👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👧👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👧

Last team who scores wins the game & that team will be wearing green.

GMG!

PS: No real luster on this year's Tx/Ou games due to both team's losses.  

GMG!!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stix said:

I may, the Aggies are away this weekend.  Is the I-35 construction between Waco & Hillsboro completed? Last time I looked, there also was construction on 35W north of downtown Fort Worth. 

Last game, I got an early enough start that I took I-45 to 287 to 360 to FM2499, in the hope that the 360 construction was far enough along.  It wasn't, and they also have started construction on 287 from I-45 to I-35E.  Eventually that may be the route of choice.  I've also taken 360 to 114 to 377.

But yes, Czech Stop.

The fam makes the drive several times a year and it's not bad (both from 45 and 6). I think they've reworked the 35/30 interchange to ease things, but I've usually exited by then to get to 45 so can't confirm.

Oh and iirc the Waco construction is done. I know @aztecskin drove it recently, so he may have some insight.

Edited by Aldo

Infinity + one.

4 hours ago, Stix said:

But yes, Czech Stop.

I think the work just south of Hillsboro is done.  It is still a mess between I30 and Loop 820, but I would think you could zip through on a Friday evening/Saturday morning.  Even if you his a slow down, that just provides the opportunity to enjoy your refreshments from the Czech Stop.

1 minute ago, Withers940 said:

Talked to two guys with the athletic dept and they have only sold 15,000 tickets thus far. Sold about 1,000 tickets yesterday alone so hopefully they will kill it the next two days and with walk ups.

Not sure if these numbers include Student section.....I hope not. 

Is that on top of season tickets or is that all included?