[NT Daily] Opinion: Some students find the Mean Green Brigade lacking

dmaxel

“The evolution of the marching band into what it is today that explains a lot about why we do what we do and a lot of that is lost on audience members who take a cursory glance and a half-second listen before going back to their hotdogs and their phones.”

OH NO SHE DIDNT

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Zeke said:

The bit they do where they only play a few notes then stopping.......then starting.............then stopping.  

Then starting.  

It makes me insane

SSSSHHHH.  It has historical significance unlike wearing uniforms.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 4

There are plenty of examples of more prominent schools doing way more creative stuff with their bands. The UNT band is probably one of the best just based on the talent of the musicians, but unfortunately, that doesn't matter to the majority of students. As a recent grad, I think its clear that tradition means very little to the average UNT student so it's probably best to ditch uniforms and go with some off the wall music choices

• Lovely Take 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

There are plenty of examples of more prominent schools doing way more creative stuff with their bands. The UNT band is probably one of the best just based on the talent of the musicians, but unfortunately, that doesn't matter to the majority of students. As a recent grad, I think its clear that tradition means very little to the average UNT student so it's probably best to ditch uniforms and go with some off the wall music choices

Like completely ditching Fly Like An Eagle. Forever.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

I think many of you are wanting a band like RICE's, which absolutely serves solely as entertainment.

Being in the Green Brigade is a chance for students (I know there are many majors, but mainly Music Ed) to LEARN nuances of writing/composing for/performing drill in a way that is widely practiced across Texas.

As for music played in the stands...   I'm with you guys.  It could be better/different.  I love me some "Fly Like an Eagle", but not 10 times/gm.
However, if you have been paying any attention, you'd have heard them playing the tune from Imagine Dragons' "Believer" recently.  Pretty new/relevant. 

It's not like they're not playing new music... it's more likely that you're "...back to your hotdogs and your phones".

• Thanks 1

Watching the Green Brigade perform at halftime is very similar to one of the cheers I hear from one of (how many do we have anyway?) our cheerleader groups.

"Hit 'em again, harder, harder".  "Hit 'em again, harder, harder".  Gosh, that cheer is breathtaking;  puts fear in any opposing team we are playing.  And so original.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

this will be there fourth performance of the year....maybe we finally get uniforms???

they marched in their uniforms at high school competitions recently, but can't for a home football game???

my time in the green brigade, we learned 3 SHOWS A SEASON!!! class was one hour a day except for mondays and then they were 3 hours and wore uniforms every stinking game!  the head band director, nick williams, was my drum major...he knows how it was and how it should be...and he was a hell of a trumpet player

• Thanks 4
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Their halftime shows are painfully short and lack any pageantry. The uniform thing is shitty as hell.

Everything said above and this. The khaki shorts uniforms they wear during hotter games are horrible.

You can hear the musical talent when they play, but I agree the lack of creativity and excitement with their performances has always bothered me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think many of you are wanting a band like RICE's, which absolutely serves solely as entertainment.

Being in the Green Brigade is a chance for students (I know there are many majors, but mainly Music Ed) to LEARN nuances of writing/composing for/performing drill in a way that is widely practiced across Texas.

As for music played in the stands...   I'm with you guys.  It could be better/different.  I love me some "Fly Like an Eagle", but not 10 times/gm.
However, if you have been paying any attention, you'd have heard them playing the tune from Imagine Dragons' "Believer" recently.  Pretty new/relevant. 

It's not like they're not playing new music... it's more likely that you're "...back to your hotdogs and your phones".

Few if any want a Rice like assemblage, not really a band.  Rice does this not because they are super creative but because they can't field a traditional college band.   Neither do I think NT has a future of having a Grambling like band.  NT's band should forge their own identity based on the incredible musical talent available.  

However, is not entertainment the primary reason for a college band?  I don't think being entertaining is going to hinder the future high school band directors of Texas. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, keith said:

I've always thought that the band should do more to pay homage to some of our own.   Instead of Hey Baby, how about playing Roy Orbison's "Oh, Pretty Woman" (something people know and can sing along to even if it's only the chorus) at the start of the 4th quarter?  Or if it's near the end of the game and we are obviously going to win, whip up the chorus of  his "It's Over" and let everyone sing along.  Seems like we have a legitimate claim to uniquely call this as our own tradition.  I'm sure there may be other options out there.  These two just seem obvious to me.

Edit...or if we're losing, play "Crying" or 'Only the Lonely" ... hahahaha.

I really, really like this.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

However let me say I absolutely love their stop/start fight song trolling.

4 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

^This times a million billion. 

I think sometimes the band forgets that they're not at the game and in the stadium for their own entertainment. I usually sit just to the left of them (when facing the field from our side of the stands) and while it's annoying for everyone else (myself included), they're having a hoot catching players who don't stop on the correct note, since each iteration adds one additional note.

Edited by dmaxel
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, dmaxel said:

I think sometimes the band forgets that they're not at the game and in the stadium for their own entertainment. I usually just to the left of them (when facing the field from our side of the stands) and while it's annoying for everyone else (myself included), they're having a hoot catching players who don't stop on the correct note, since each iteration adds one additional note.

Yep.  You can see them calling each other out from the alumni side.  It’s very apparent that they aren’t paying attention to the game and are entertaining themselves.  It’s just as frustrating when the team is behind and you see players goofing off and playing grab ass on the sidelines. 

• Downvote 1

I've always rolled my eyes at the negative Green Brigade posts until last year when their show was a straight up copy of their 2012 show. Plus the fact that you can't find any official content online.  A former coworker of mine who was on the drumline told me that Nick Williams will report any content on YouTube because they're all his arrangements. There needs to be a change, the GB is straight up boring these days. 

Edited by SAGreenFan
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1