North Texas upset over TV ad that calls Michigan State 'Mean Green'

Harry

Just now, Green Mean said:

Fixed.  Growing up in the area I and everyone that knew of NT knew the school as the North Texas Eagles.  The official nickname was changed and I still think it was a bad decision.

I was born and raised in Denton and attended my first game during the Green era.  Your information is not correct.  Our nickname was never Eagles, as that is the mascot.

http://www.meangreensports.com/trads/MeanGreen.html

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm talking about having our athletics teams referenced as "The North Texas Mean Green" instead of "The North Texas Eagles".   When did that happen?

Early 2000's.

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Speaking of The Wren:

This is gold from Wren. I absolutely love him as an AD. Wish he would have ended it "GO MEAN GREEN!" just for a little more flare. 

To everyone else who disdain the words "Mean Green" go listen to George Dunham's recording of "Do you believe in the Mean Green?" then voice your concerns after. 

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I was born and raised in Denton and attended my first game during the Green era.  Your information is not correct.  Our nickname was never Eagles, as that is the mascot.

I never disputed that Mean Green wasn't around but I'm talking about official & primary nicknames.  So if they played on TV the announcers would call them the North Texas Eagles.  I even remember the college football games on Sega/Nintendo in the 90's and seeing Eagles, not Mean Green.   When I started attended UNT it was even on the UNT history page/timeline history somewhere that mentioned they officially changed the nickname to Mean Green from Eagles.  Unless all of it is false this is why I remember it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

Fixed.  Growing up in the area I and everyone that knew of NT knew the school as the North Texas Eagles.  The official nickname was changed and I still think it was a bad decision.

No, the nickname has been the Mean Green for a long, long time. I know the athletic department under Hayden Fry used it exclusively. The football and men's BB teams were known as the Mean Green since at least then. 

• Thanks 1

If the holder of a trademark becomes aware of any infringement and they DO NOT make an effect to stop it, they lose the trademark. That's why you see Disney going after mom's who sell dolls at craft fairs. I don't remember the exact details, but you can lose your exclusive use if you don't defend it.  

Check out the big balls on The Wrenster!

Side note, when I started the ice hockey club, the liars at Rec Sports wouldn't sanction the club. So for two years, we couldn't use "UNT" or "Mean Green" .  So "Mean Green" is trademarked. It's nice to have an AD that cares.

Edited by Rudy

Just around the Denton County area you've got the valley View Eagles, and the Argyle Eagles.  We just beat a team called the Golden Eagles or Eagles as their announcer frequently referenced.  Boston College has eagles of some description and Philadelphia also has their own eagles. 

We've got all the eagles we need.  But there's only one Mean Green.

• Upvote 2

I love our brand and so will new or T-shirt fans.  Our brand is a mish mosh that works like Alabama - roll tide equals go Mean green, the elephant and the eagle North Texas equals Alabama.  Yeah I said it🙂

GMG

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Early 2000's.

The end zones at Fouts read EAGLES until the 2005 season... the year the bowl run ended.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As someone who has rarely been in Texas the last 8+ years, I can tell you that when someone recognizes UNT, they say “Mean Green, right?” People recognize the Mean Green brand nationally.  One thing RV got right was the move to Mean Green for sports. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

14 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Sounds like a good sponsor/partner to me!
"Mean Green Industrial Cleaning Products.  The official cleaning products for Mean Green opponents' skidmarks."

Does that stuff work very well? If so, I hope that's what McCasland is gonna use to try and clean the Benford stains out of the Super Pit.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

For the record, when I attended North Texas in the 1960's, we were the North Texas State University EAGLES.  And our colors were Green and White.  Our stellar defenses were known as the Mean Green Defense.

Correct. And as VideoEagle said, Hayden Fry was the one who started using Mean Green almost exclusively, It was part of his cultural change of North Texas. Many alumni accused him of getting rid of the Eagle, but that is not true. He just changed the imagery that had been associated with losing. From forest green to candy apple green, emphasizing Mean Green over Eagles. 

The original logo from the Hayden Fry era had this logo sitting on block letters MEAN GREEN.....

image.jpeg.2ead7abe839b77f7439e7318634e3036.jpeg

Like it or not the Eagle was very much out in front at all times with this logo during the Hayden Fry era. He did not get rid of the Eagle.

Having said all that this guy is still my favorite "Scrappy"

Image result for Hayden Fry era mean green logo

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2017 at 11:26 AM, greenjoe said:

<snip>

And by the way, trademarked or not, if we don't defend our intellectual property, we are giving others "tacit permission" to infringe on our trademark.

</snip>

Sort of like we have (not just us)  given tacit permission to be relegated out of D1 college football.  Accepting or even embracing terms such as mid-major or G5 is basically giving up without a fight IMHO.

Edited by keith

Agreed.  To even hear people use the term P5 opponent and group of 5 in another sport that doesn't even warrant a designation is disgusting.  There are 131 programs playing major college football at this time and we are one of them.  Period.

GMG

21 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

The end zones at Fouts read EAGLES until the 2005 season... the year the bowl run ended.  

maybe so, but it was also accented with blue and orange...eff that shiatt!!!  WE ARE MEAN GREEN!!!

• Lovely Take 1