Michigan State vs. North Texas? Twitter threat may create new rivalry

Harry

LANSING -- Michigan State University may have a new rival this week as its football team prepares for Saturday's game at the University of Michigan. 

A University of North Texas athletic department official accuses MSU and ESPN of stealing its school's trademarked words "#MeanGreen."

Message left Wednesday morning by the Lansing State Journal with Baker at his office in Denton, Texas, where North Texas is located, were unsuccessful. 

Jason Cody, a MSU spokesperson, said in an email Wednesday morning to the LSJ that he will look into the matter. 

The website Justia Trademarks says the term "mean green" is North Texas' trademark and was registered 2011.

On Jan. 23, 2016, the official Twitter page for MSU's men's basketball team referred to the term "mean green" in a tweet that mentioned new Nike uniforms for players. 

read more:  http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2017/10/04/michigan-state-vs-north-texas-twitter-threat-may-create-new-rivalry/730742001/

34 minutes ago, keith said:

Why did it take until 2011 to register it?  We've been the Mean Green for, what, 50 years?  Thank goodness someone eventually took the initiative to register it.

Maybe Dan McCarney had to tell RV how to do his job or Apogee said "why the f isn't this trademarked?".

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, keith said:

Why did it take until 2011 to register it?  We've been the Mean Green for, what, 50 years?  Thank goodness someone eventually took the initiative to register it.

It may be it was renewed then. Or perhaps re-filed with additional accompanying marks registered.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

It may be it was renewed then. Or perhaps re-filed with additional accompanying marks registered.

One way to know for sure is if there is someone that has some NT gear that was produced in the early 2000's that has the "tm" attached to Mean Green. 

It's my belief that Mean Green was trademarked long before 2011.

5 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

I think the branding guy (URCM) started to expand the brand and centralizing sales with whatever that collegiate association is. I’m sleepy I don’t remember much from back then rn. 

This is another Michigan-based news source, so they may be leaving out some important details. I would be embarrassed if it really took us until six years ago to register the nickname we've been using for half a century. But the article also says "A University of North Texas athletic official" instead of "the University of North Texas athletic director". I'm also tired of the ignorance showed by these Michigan writers as if any school outside the G5 is not entitled to having a [trademarked] nickname.

I say, let's use this as leverage to secure a home-and-home with Michigan State!

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

"All's well, that ends well, I suppose".

Screw Michigan State!  They should be lucky we don't schedule them in football or basketball.  Hell, unleash a McCasland coached basketball team on the Spartans and they'd never know what hit 'em!

Image result for 1960's NTSU Scrappy

60's Scrappy approves of this attitude.

Vintage North Texas State Decal U.S. Army Eagle WWII

And Phil, since you are a veteran, the WWII Scrappy approves of your attitude as well. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2