DRC: Baker defends UNT's right to "Mean Green"

Brett Vito

Good job on WB for defending this! 

On a related note...

When buying UNT merchandise, I'm mostly only interested in those items that have "Mean Green" on them.    

Every year, I go into the stadium store ready to get a new polo shirt, etc., but end up being disappointed in the number of items with MG.

I don't know all the details of how merchandising works, but we should encourage vendors to create as much stuff that has our unique brand, especially now that the leadership that thought we needed to spell out NORTH TEXAS on every thing is gone.  Maybe WB's approach will help push our brand further and get me some more merchandise choices!  8-)

• Lovely Take 1

28 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Good job on WB for defending this! 

On a related note...

When buying UNT merchandise, I'm mostly only interested in those items that have "Mean Green" on them.    

Every year, I go into the stadium store ready to get a new polo shirt, etc., but end up being disappointed in the number of items with MG.

I don't know all the details of how merchandising works, but we should encourage vendors to create as much stuff that has our unique brand, especially now that the leadership that thought we needed to spell out NORTH TEXAS on every thing is gone.  Maybe WB's approach will help push our brand further and get me some more merchandise choices!  8-)

You go to the Book Store? 

Also, try looking online?

For those select few who continue to pine for our use of the generic “Eagles” —. Does this situation help you to “get it”?  Programs wouldn’t give two $hits about stealing “Eagles” from us but “Mean Green” is unique and desirable.  Mean Green is cool.  It will serve us well as the program builds and grows.

and in RV’s defense he did press for Mean Green after Craig Helwig tried to distance from it.

Thank you Wren!  I remember suggesting this when it was used by Nike for MSU's basketball shoes/uni last year and nothing happened. In the world of college athletics where a uni combination, shoes or a cool locker room can get a recruit, you better protect your brand!

Good job Wren!

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

For those select few who continue to pine for our use of the generic “Eagles” —. Does this situation help you to “get it”?  Programs wouldn’t give two $hits about stealing “Eagles” from us but “Mean Green” is unique and desirable.  Mean Green is cool.  It will serve us well as the program builds and grows.

and in RV’s defense he did press for Mean Green after Craig Helwig tried to distance from it.

giphy.webp

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GMoney said:

Thank you Wren!  I remember suggesting this when it was used by Nike for MSU's basketball shoes/uni last year and nothing happened. In the world of college athletics where a uni combination, shoes or a cool locker room can get a recruit, you better protect your brand!

Good job Wren!

Blasphemy!

Edited by Moobs

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I have no issue with us using both.   One is our mascot and one is our nickname.  Outside of our fight song, we have the Eagle imagery everywhere but heaven forbid someone refer to us as the Eagles.  When we were going to school at NTSU/UNT, we used both and it never seemed to be a big deal. 

Thanks for drawing me offsides.  ;-)  Now back to the thread topic..

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I have no issue with us using both.   One is our mascot and one is our nickname.  Outside of our fight song, we have the Eagle imagery everywhere but heaven forbid someone refer to us as the Eagles.  When we were going to school at NTSU/UNT, we used both and it never seemed to be a big deal. 

Thanks for drawing me offsides.  ;-)  Now back to the thread topic..

Á la Alabama. That elephant is the mascot, Crimson Tide the nickname.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

I know that Mississippi Valley State has used the term "Mean Green" in relation to their marching band for a number of years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_Valley_State_University#Mean_Green_Marching_Machine

• Upvote 1

I mean,
We JUST played a conference foe on National Television just over a week ago.   You can't act like you "didn't know".

The Cease & Desist letter is the first step in due process.   I would expect litigation if it happens again.

As for the "Mean Green" Nike uniform color...   They're reporting the color name was derived by Nike & not MSU.   If so, I expect that same Cease & Desist letter going out to Nike as well (our own uniform partner... what are they thinking?)