Play of the Game was a 2 yard loss

TheColonyEagle

31 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Down 21-7 with the ball on our 5. Jeffery Wilson got blasted in the end zone. Everyone in the stadium thought it was a safety. How he got out of it I don't know but he simply made his mind up that he wasn't going down. So he took on 3-4 defenders and got the ball out to the 3. 

If he goes down, it's 23-7 and they're getting the ball back. Instead we go 97 yards and take the momentum  

What an effort by Wilson. He is so special. 

Agree whole-heartedly.  

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Down 21-7 with the ball on our 5. Jeffery Wilson got blasted in the end zone. Everyone in the stadium thought it was a safety. How he got out of it I don't know but he simply made his mind up that he wasn't going down. So he took on 3-4 defenders and got the ball out to the 3. 

If he goes down, it's 23-7 and they're getting the ball back. Instead we go 97 yards and take the momentum  

What an effort by Wilson. He is so special. 

Great observation.  Agree 100%

I know we have some great talent behind him, but we are really going to miss him next year.   The extra muscle he put on has made him that much harder to tackle, and after rewatching the game today, I’m still blown away by his break away speed...not many at this level that can pull away as quickly as he can.

• Upvote 1

I was trying to come up with four more plays to do a Norm's 5 plays that you may not have noticed, etc (or whatever).

I came up with a few more: pUNT in the first half that went about 20 yards but bounced and rolled for another 24 or so. Really turned the field over.

The first Wilson touchdown. I was sitting there questioning LIttrell as to why you wouldn't pUNT it full strength and pin South Mississippi deep when Jeffery went all the way. 

South Mississippi's punter helped turn the field in our favor on a couple of occasions.

But clearly, Wilson avoiding the safety that puts us down 23-7 and gives them the ball was the most critical of plays. SM fans booed it big and as I picked up my stomach off the cool stadium concrete from the top row of Section EE, I bookmarked the play as an "if we win this thing,...." moment.

GMG

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GreenBacker said:

I know we have some great talent behind him, but we are really going to miss him next year.   The extra muscle he put on has made him that much harder to tackle, and after rewatching the game today, I’m still blown away by his break away speed...not many at this level that can pull away as quickly as he can.

I noticed his speed against Lamar, but thought, no disrespect intended, well that's Lamar.  He has proven this weekly and is a special talent.  Even better, if you watched Born and Bred, he ks a great young man.