North Texas' offensive about-face a concern for Southern Miss

Harry

The No. 1 offense in Conference USA is not Western Kentucky.

Nor is it Louisiana Tech. It’s not Middle Tennessee, UTSA or even Southern Miss.

No, four weeks into the 2017 season, the leaders in the C-USA clubhouse in both yards and points per game is — that’s right, you probably didn’t guess it — North Texas. The same team, with the same quarterback, same running back and four of the same five offensive linemen, that was next-to-last in the league in scoring offense (24.8) and dead last in total offense (341.8) a year ago.

After averaging 24.8 points per game in 2016, the Mean Green (2-2) have so far enjoyed a significant reversal of fortune. Under second-year coach Seth Littrell, the former offensive coordinator for Larry Fedora at North Carolina, North Texas has a 37.8 scoring average in four games and is gaining 503.5 yards per game over the same span. 

“Very good offense. One of the best in the country right now,” Southern Miss defensive coordinator Tony Pecoraro said. “They’re loaded on offense. They’ve put some points on the board. So we’re definitely going to have to come up and play Saturday, that’s for sure.”

read more:  http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/sports/college/southern-miss/blitz/2017/09/25/first-look-north-texas-bringing-plenty-offense-southern-miss-saturday-football/697415001/

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/videos/sports/college/southern-miss/blitz/2017/09/25/video-|-jay-hopson-expects-tez-parks-julian-allen-play-vs.-north-texas/105984630/

I found their coach's presser much different than ours.    At UNT, the questions usually focus around UNT's players/coaches/schemes.   This one was all about UNT for the most part, in which their coach apparently didn't want to say anything of substance about us.

• Upvote 1

When Nate Brooks gets beat, he gets beat so bad. Is he getting greedy and peaking in the backfield? I havent gone back and watched any of the games so I was just wondering whats going on there.

Jenkins came in for Brooks on several plays towards the end of the game and really shut down that side of the ball.

21 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I have a feeling our secondary is about to step up and surprise a lot of us.

The physical talent is there.   Their mistakes are around discipline.  I would be shocked if they do a 180 within 1 week.  I still expect coverage snafus because the CBs are playing too aggressive.   
It also doesn't help them when we only rush 3, as that simply does not work when each DLineman is doubled, giving the QB all day to wait for a man to come open... which they eventually will, despite 8 in coverage.

• Lovely Take 2

24 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

When Nate Brooks gets beat, he gets beat so bad. Is he getting greedy and peaking in the backfield? I havent gone back and watched any of the games so I was just wondering whats going on there.

Jenkins came in for Brooks on several plays towards the end of the game and really shut down that side of the ball.

Based on comments from the coaches, it sounded like they thought he was trying to make breaks on the ball instead of staying disciplined in his coverage assignment.

I'm going to assume that USM hasn't seen an offensive of this caliber (so far this season, knock on wood)... similar to us not having faced a defense as good as theirs yet (aren't they a highly ranked defense??)

Also, I think Vito posted it in the DRC that USM had only gotten 5 sacks and 2 INTs so far this year? Does this mean they aren't blitzing? If they are blitzing, are they getting pressure? 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere by coaches (unless I just missed it).   Do you have a source there, or are you just guessing?

no source.
pure assumption on my part, just for the mere fact that Jenkins' play was a night and day difference.  
I at least HOPE he's starting.  honestly I would be shocked if he didn't.

48 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Thank you sir.
I hope this also serves as a notice that no one, not even preseason all-conference players, is above being benched if they are underperforming.

The problem here is that Jenkins had a Pick 6 against Marshall on a similar hitch route last season where he drove hard and inside. Who's to say his instinct won't kick in and he'll drive in and get burned like Brooks? 

I think playing Cover 1 or 2 the rest of the season would help alleviate this. Playing man across the board is a recipe for disaster if your pass rush can't get there