Official Southern Miss Game Score Prediction Thread

MeanGreenTexan

Fresh off a nail-biter this past weekend, the Mean Green head to Hattiesburg, MS to take on a different kind of eagle.

The Golden Eagles have arguably the best RB in the league, Ito Smith, and a very nice OL to go with him.   
Kwandra Griggs appears to be a much better QB than Keon Howard (the guy who spelled Mullens last year, looking terrible, when we beat them), and they're getting the ball in the end zone through the air as well.
Smith was shut down versus Kentucky earlier this year.  So I really hope our defense is watching film of that game, because SoMiss will go as Smith goes.

Their defense has been pretty stifling, and coach Littrell made sure to bring that up during his weekly press conference saying their defense VS our offense will be a great matchup.   I happen to agree.

If our friggin defense cannot figure out how to get off the field on 3rd down, we're going to be in for a long day.  They're going to have to show me this week as this is a MUCH tougher team than UAB.
Unfortunately, Southern Miss will have had 2 weeks to prepare for this game.  They'll be ready to avenge last season's loss.

Assuming our defense (mainly the secondary) continues to struggle as they have been:

UNT: 27
SoMiss: 34

• Sad 1

UNT - 21

Southern Miss - 42

Wakeup call before the bye week. This will be a team we should be consistently competing with and I think they get slapped around enough that they come out with their hair on fire against UTSA.

I think this will be the most important game of the season to gauge where we really are. IF we can win and go into the bye at 3-2 we can compete for the division. I hope they prove me wrong, but this team flat out gets out coached in the second half of every game they've played in so far.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

If we can play second halves of games like we have first halves, I very much like our chances against almost anyone in C-USA.  But until we do, and until the defense shows more consistency, I can't pick us to win a game like this.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

UNT: 27
SoMiss: 34

or

35 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

38 bad guys

28 good guys

sounds about right.

Sadly, I heard nothing in Littrell's press conference that makes me feel our defensive issues will be fixed by this weekend. Jenkins came in Saturday and it helped, but Southern Miss isn't UAB, and we are on the road. I still find it bewildering that we were only rushing three men against a UAB QB that couldn't throw on the run, giving him all day to throw touchdowns. I hope we don't stick with that same strategy on Saturday. Until we make some changes to the overall defensive philosophy of our defense, we will not beat a team like USM. It's sad too, because our offense is good enough to win this game.

North Texas 28

Southern Miss 32

Side note: We play UTSA after Southern Miss. I will not be a fun person to be around if our defense is still under preforming when that game rolls around.

I don't think that North Texas' defense can stop anyone and that makes me really nervous going forward. I continue to remain optimistic and say that Wilson will continue to be our most talented playmaker. 

North Texas 37

Southern Ms.   31

Edited by Salsa_Verde

The Mean Green has to distribute the ball too the outside receivers (Jaylen/ Rico/ Turner) and let them compete. The secondary of USM is suspect as Kentucky exposed numerous of times. The corners for Mean Green need too close the cushion and compete... Nothing wrong with a little bit of jamming. Everything else is solid and I predict...

Mean Green- 34

USM- 27

• Downvote 1

Tough game...at their place. I have chewed on this for a couple of days and consulted the Oracle.

Our strength is mightier than their strength. Our guys will clean up enough of their earlier defensive mistakes to eke out a hard-fought win!

Mean Green  Eagles                              38

Mustard-covered Eagles                      35

• Upvote 2