Quinn Shanbour

10Eagle10

52 minutes ago, NeonGreen said:

Oh there is a reason. When asked in their interview at their next coaching job how well can you recruit? The coach can point to their recruit's stats. The alternative answer could be devestating to their career. An answer such as "well actually an unrecruited walk on beat out my recruit." This is why Shanbour will be used only as an insurance policy should Fine ever go down. In my opinion, he never really had a chance to start from the get go let alone be given the opportunity to see if he could build on his performance of that 1 series which he was in.

You are talking about a coaches ego. It was most evident with Coach Mac who wasn't the least bit interested in looking at Shanbour as a legitimate candidate. His sin of ego was exaggerated by his insistence that guys like Greer and McNulty kept getting trotted out on the field.

At least with our current coaching staff they gave Shanbour his first fair assessment. And what happened is he has hovered around second team for a couple of years now. The remedy for the "Shanbour beat out my guy" possible situation in a future coaching interview is to say this "I saw this guy's potential and developed him into a great back-up and/or eventual starter".

If I were interviewing coaches I would want to know how well they could come in and assess the current group of players and develop them into contributing players right away. Shanbour is (potentially) going to be Coach Harrell's shining example of that in future interviews.

And while I'm at it. Coaches aren't the only ones with big egos. Sports writers who for a long time totally ignore the existence of certain players, and when they do acknowledge them they use dismissive terms, can have big egos too.

• Upvote 2

I am ok with Fine starting the 2nd half. He had a good first half. What I do not understand is why the put a hurt, tired Fine in for the final series of the second half, risking further injury to Fine and leading to the predictable interception (the guy was clearly tired), giving Shanbour more reps and a chance to further show what he can do. I understand having a starting QB, but I do not understand not preparing the backup in situations like that for taking over if the QB gets seriously injured.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eagleisland said:

I am ok with Fine starting the 2nd half. He had a good first half. What I do not understand is why the put a hurt, tired Fine in for the final series of the second half, risking further injury to Fine and leading to the predictable interception (the guy was clearly tired), giving Shanbour more reps and a chance to further show what he can do. I understand having a starting QB, but I do not understand not preparing the backup in situations like that for taking over if the QB gets seriously injured.

Same reason why Fine played the entire SMU game...Stat padding/Score maintenance. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

And while I'm at it. Coaches aren't the only ones with big egos. Sports writers who for a long time totally ignore the existence of certain players, and when they do acknowledge them they use dismissive terms, can have big egos too.

Have anyone particular in mind? 😊 What is kind of funny is that Shanbour's story and performance is a journalist's dream but we are talking about an ego that refuses to admit he was wrong and thinks he is more knowledgeable than any of us and that we shouldn't trust our own eyes and just listen to him. Shanbour was never broke in half while running and there is definitely no drop off in capabilities should Fine go down. He still can't admit Shanbour's positive impact on the team and his abilities. At least Littrell has admitted this to his credit.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Why didn't he start the 2nd half?!?!?!?! I am dumbfounded that he did not. Ending the 1st half with the offense hitting, they roll Fine back out there to score 0 points the entire half. Why? Just, Why? Go with your hot hand for just a possession to open up the 2nd half. But, no. They go with their comfort and it leads to exactly 0 2nd half points. Glad it worked out. 

I would love to watch basketball with you.  

"Dirk should have made that shot!!  Why didn't he just put the ball in the basket??  Yet another coaching failure by Carlisle"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

I would love to watch basketball with you.  

"Dirk should have made that shot!!  Why didn't he just put the ball in the basket??  Yet another coaching failure by Carlisle"

No, wise ass. 

It'd be more like Carlisle setting up a last second play for a cold shooter when Dirk is 6/7 from the arc on the day. You go with your hot hand, that's the bottom line. So glad Fine was able to lead the offense to points in the 2nd half though. 

• Downvote 1