Volleyball continues roll

GrandGreen

Nice to see VB finally winning some games especially from last years 13-19 record, but at what cost with this soft schedule does this really start to hurt us!

WKU just knocked off Nationally ranked Ohio St. 3-0 and have played a very tough non-conference schedule. Have we played anyone comparable to WKU so our girls will be ready for them or even the top teams in our conference. Why not play a few middle to upper schools in the P5 conferences instead of the bottom feeders throughout the country. I'm really not understanding the logic here on the scheduling unless championships mean nothing and racking up wins mean everything.

Example: In the tournament we're presently playing in Mississippi St is picked to finish 13 out of 13 teams in the SEC. They already have been blownout by two Southland Conference teams earlier in the season.(Lost to SFA 3-0 / Lost to McNesse St. 3-0) The other two teams we're playing - in this tournament are Jackson St. who has a record of 1-12 and SE Louisiana sitting at 2-10. This competition has really been the norm for us this year. Hope this soft schedule pays off but I think when it comes to scheduling, we need to take a page out of WKU book!

Go Mean Green!

Edited by blurbeard
  • Upvote 1

Any time North Texas can beat a program that's in the SEC, PAC-12, ACC or AAC is good for the program. They've done that this year and I'm not going to take anything away from these ladies because they dominated these schools from power conferences. 

13 hours ago, blurbeard said:

Nice to see VB finally winning some games especially from last years 13-19 record, but at what cost with this soft schedule does this really start to hurt us!

WKU just knocked off Nationally ranked Ohio St. 3-0 and have played a very tough non-conference schedule. Have we played anyone comparable to WKU so our girls will be ready for them or even the top teams in our conference. Why not play a few middle to upper schools in the P5 conferences instead of the bottom feeders throughout the country. I'm really not understanding the logic here on the scheduling unless championships mean nothing and racking up wins mean everything.

Example: In the tournament we're presently playing in Mississippi St is picked to finish 13 out of 13 teams in the SEC. They already have been blownout by two Southland Conference teams earlier in the season.(Lost to SFA 3-0 / Lost to McNesse St. 3-0) The other two teams we're playing - in this tournament are Jackson St. who has a record of 1-12 and SE Louisiana sitting at 2-10. This competition has really been the norm for us this year. Hope this soft schedule pays off but I think when it comes to scheduling, we need to take a page out of WKU book!

Go Mean Green!

How about this example, NT beat Oregon State 3-0.  Oregon State is 10-2 with their only other loss to number one Minnesota 1-3.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/16/2017 at 10:52 AM, blurbeard said:

Go Mean Green!

Well, if the record would have been like this last season I would agree. But when you are going 13-19, you first have to learn to win consistently. WKU went into this season on the pedigree of being a consistent winner. Confidence is an important part in Volleyball. Once you have a consistent winner, you start scheduling up. So if UNT can go .700 or so in conference, then yes they should schedule up next season. But it was important to show being consistent this season. And I do think you are underselling the schedule a bit. The win over Oregon State is pretty decent and there were not all cupcakes here.

Edited by outoftown