Mason Fine Tied For Most Long TDs

AustinFromUNT

Geez so many people read what they want instead of what someone said. Here is what @Mean_Green09 said with how I took it in bold "He has improved his deep ball accuracy <compliment>. His issues come when he doesn't have a throwing lane <true for most QB's but more so for a short one. Not really ripping the kid just a fact. Criticism>. He gets rattled by pressure <most Qb's do as well especially younger ones. Criticism but warranted> . A big concern since his OL is poor. <true statement>  "

Let's me put it another way. QB is not in my top 3 concerns about the team, and that is a rarity following UNT.

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Geez so many people read what they want instead of what someone said. Here is what @Mean_Green09 said with how I took it in bold "He has improved his deep ball accuracy <compliment>. His issues come when he doesn't have a throwing lane <true for most QB's but more so for a short one. Not really ripping the kid just a fact. Criticism>. He gets rattled by pressure <most Qb's do as well especially younger ones. Criticism but warranted> . A big concern since his OL is poor. <true statement>  "

Let's me put it another way. QB is not in my top 3 concerns about the team, and that is a rarity following UNT.

This is mostly how I see it right now: QB is not our salvation, but it is also not one of our 3 biggest concerns. Probably not even among the top 3 offensively

In my order the biggest concerns are:

1) Play calling on offense, (Failure to trust the passing identity of the team and needs to spread the field both horizontally and vertically)

2) OL blocking (both run and passing, but currently more running)

3) Getting pressure on the opposing QB when our D is on 3rd down, I honestly am not sure if that is more on play calling or more on the quality of LBs and DL.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Pushing agendas always seems to skirt the facts.

I am neither because I am a naysayer.  I'm not gonna throw my money into something that gives me nothing but negative returns.

Helping college students get an education is a negative return?  Your priorities are messed up. 

Ok if you don't want to watch bad football don't buy tickets but give to the MGC because that helps kids get degrees, some which would not without athletics. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Helping college students get an education is a negative return?  Your priorities are messed up. 

Ok if you don't want to watch bad football don't buy tickets but give to the MGC because that helps kids get degrees, some which would not without athletics. 

And football players are not the only ones those funds help.   Maybe just imagine all of your donation going to the soccer ladies, tennis ladies, golfers, etc...

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I am neither because I am a naysayer.  I'm not gonna throw my money into something that gives me nothing but negative returns.

So let me get this straight, you've posted 1,500 + times, spent countless hours reading threads and participating in the discussion for something that's throwing away money. Is your time valueless then? Because you seem to invest plenty of time here for someone who doesn't want to invest in something... This is mind blowing to me.

Edited by Caw Caw
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Well, hello UNT90.  You don't buy tickets and you don't come to games and you don't support UNT student-athletes through a MGC membership. Great. Just what do you do other than whine and moan? Why the heck are you even here? If it gives you only negative returns, why keep posting and moaning about it? Makes zero sense. But, hey, you have a lot of company. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, KRAM1 said:

Well, hello UNT90.  You don't buy tickets and you don't come to games and you don't support UNT student-athletes through a MGC membership. Great. Just what do you do other than whine and moan? Why the heck are you even here? If it gives you only negative returns, why keep posting and moaning about it? Makes zero sense. But, hey, you have a lot of company. 

UNT90 was at the Lamar game in his regular club seats and even bought two extra for that game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Aldo said:

Product of the system? C'mon. So was Case Keenum, Austin Davis, Max Hall, Kingsbury, Harrell.

Do we complain about them?

Fine is in year 2. We've played game 2 out of 12. Screw the stats. He looks way better than he did last year. He's much more improved than I expected him to be mechanically and with accuracy.

Let him put up so we can shut up.

If you are going to compare a current player to those from history and choose his stats as an indicator for his ranking then yes, the system should be considered. 

Its silly not to consider the systems players had during their careers. 

11 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

If you are going to compare a current player to those from history and choose his stats as an indicator for his ranking then yes, the system should be considered. 

Its silly not to consider the systems players had during their careers. 

I guess I don't know where you're going with this - it just sounds as dismissive. He's only gone through two games, and this mindset will dismiss any and all accomplishments for the rest of his season/career.

My point is so what if he's a product of the system. As long as he's the product of our system.

23 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I guess I don't know where you're going with this - it just sounds as dismissive. He's only gone through two games, and this mindset will dismiss any and all accomplishments for the rest of his season/career.

My point is so what if he's a product of the system. As long as he's the product of our system.

I think he may be talking about comparing Fine to, say Scott Hall, who is a Hall of Fame QB, but played in a VERY run-heavy offense.  Hall's passing #'s weren't off the charts like an air-raid QB like Fine or other pass-happy offenses like Steve Ramsay & Mitch Maher, but he was still a great QB for us.

I think you're both correct BTW...

13 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

I do go to the games. A buddy had some "recent grad" free tickets that he gave me. It's a win win. I get to go to the games and support the team, and don't have to pay a dime.

Somebody has to be the yin to your yang Kram. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

My original post was to counter Lifer since he said something along the lines of 'Fine will have better numbers than any other QB we've seen here'

I'm not sure why me mentioning the system Fine is getting to play im as a factor in that potential ranking is so hard for you to grasp.  It's pretty straightforward, as MGT noted Fine will have a decided advantage in accumulating numbers compared to previous QBs who played in run heavy systems.

14 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

I'm not going to bust anyone's balls for not donating to what is the current product. 

I donated in 2014, 2015, 2016. I am a late donor usually and I have yet to donate in 2017. I do not recall seeing my name in any of the "lists" due to donating so late in the year, but I don't pay heavy attention to those lists so I am not sure. I will get mine in at some point in 2017, but I am withholding for no other reason other than because I want to, and I'm cheap. 

I understand that not donating hurts the program much more than withholding. Even when I don't agree with a lot of the garbage they do. I still donate because I know it helps push the program in the right direction, even if just a millimeter. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

My original post was to counter Lifer since he said something along the lines of 'Fine will have better numbers than any other QB we've seen here'

I'm not sure why me mentioning the system Fine is getting to play im as a factor in that potential ranking is so hard for you to grasp.  It's pretty straightforward, as MGT noted Fine will have a decided advantage in accumulating numbers compared to previous QBs who played in run heavy systems.

I missed the connection there to the previous QBs here statement my bad. Last year 49% of our plays were runs. This year so far we're sitting at 55% runs. I'm sure that will balance out.

We pass a lot, but we also run a lot. The volume of plays is the key here. We're on the field more than before and run more plays on top of that - we're on pace to run the most plays in the last 10 seasons.

That's something we haven't seen before, compared to previous systems. 

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1