Mason Fine Tied For Most Long TDs

AustinFromUNT

59 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

"But he can't throw the deep ball" 

-They

He has improved his deep ball accuracy. His issues come when he doesn't have a throwing lane. He gets rattled by pressure. A big concern since his OL is poor. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

He has improved his deep ball accuracy. His issues come when he doesn't have a throwing lane. He gets rattled by pressure. A big concern since his OL is poor. 

"He plays well, but the people around him don't play play well, so it makes it harder to play well. Therefore he's bad"

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Almost 70% of his tds came in a 30 point ass whippin during hot garbage time. The remaining 30% (2) vs a FCS opponent. Save it. 

True.  While I think Mason is our best option and possibly has a great future, I'm kind of tiring of the posts showing what a great game he had against SMU.  The fact is that most of his stats came in garbage time.  No fault of his, but I don't know that he needs (or wants) praise for his "accomplishments." 

Edited by NT93
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NT93 said:

True.  While I think Mason is our best option and possibly has a great future, I'm kind of tiring of the posts showing what a great game he had against SMU.  The fact is that most of his stats came in garbage time.  No fault of his, but I don't know that he needs (or wants) praise for his "accomplishments." 

I would hate to see some of the comments if he struggled during "garbage time."  It's like he can't win with some of you.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Graddean said:

I don't understand the constant carping about Fine's performance.  Maybe, it was garbage time, but he didn't quit.  He kept producing.  He deserves far more respect than some of you show him.

I think people get mad about Fine as the starting QB and these somewhat empty numbers because it really bothers them that he's the best QB we have and have had since Derek Thompson was here 4 years ago--and even DT wasn't great as a QB...he was just a decent bus diver for DMac's plodding offense. Fine represents the reality that we can't get a legitimate FBS QB here...they are all either too small, too slow, carry too much baggage academically, or just aren't meant to be at a FBS school, but somehow got offered. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

What a slap in the face of a young man that will put up far better numbers than any of us have probably ever witnessed by a North Texas QB.

Sorry to hurt your feelings, but what have you seen since DT was here that tells you we have a legitimate FBS QB on this roster? And the one who starts now, Fine, is way better than anything we have trotted out in 4 seasons...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

"But he can't throw the deep ball" 

-They

Who is "They"? The comment I have been seeing is that we should've been throwing deep more, and before they scored 38 unanswered while loading the box on us.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm with @UNTLifer in that I don't understand some of the complaints about Fine. Yes, a lot of his yards came against a FCS team. The majority of FBS teams played an FCS team and Fine is has high stats in that group. Why didn't the "legitimate" FBS QBs do as well statistically as Fine did?

He's a sophomore playing behind a porous OL while throwing to unproven receivers. No, right now he's now good enough to start for a top 25 team but that does NOT mean he can't improve, the OL can't improve and the receivers can't improve.

We are likely to lose this weekend, but I really like that Littrell has adopted @SilverEagle 's attitude of I didn't come here to lose. I'm much more concerned with how the team including Fine plays during league play. League play is going to determine our bowl chances. Non conference wins can enhance the bowl we go to, but league play is what gets NT to a bowl. 

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Sorry to hurt your feelings, but what have you seen since DT was here that tells you we have a legitimate FBS QB on this roster? And the one who starts now, Fine, is way better than anything we have trotted out in 4 seasons...

Yes he is and I didn't limit my comment to four years.  No worries, you didn't come close to hurting my feelings.  

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

Assuming that happens it will be both a product of the system Fine will play in and a condemnation of the previous guys to hold the job.

May be, but you can't criticize the player for the system he is given. When I stated he will put up better numbers, I should have been more clear. Fine throws one of the nicest balls of any QB we have had in 20 to 25 years.  Vizza was another, but he didn't last. 

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

Assuming that happens it will be both a product of the system Fine will play in and a condemnation of the previous guys to hold the job.

Product of the system? C'mon. So was Case Keenum, Austin Davis, Max Hall, Kingsbury, Harrell.

Do we complain about them?

Fine is in year 2. We've played game 2 out of 12. Screw the stats. He looks way better than he did last year. He's much more improved than I expected him to be mechanically and with accuracy.

Let him put up so we can shut up.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Product of the system? C'mon. So was Case Keenum, Austin Davis, Max Hall, Kingsbury, Harrell.

Fine is in year 2. We've played game 2 out of 12. Screw the stats. He looks way better than he did last year. He's much more improved than I expected him to be mechanically and with accuracy.

I think you clarified my thoughts better than I did.  I don't care if we refer to him as a system QB, because he has to play the system the coaches give him.  I also agree that he has improved greatly over last year, and I expect he will continue to do so as his career progresses.

• Downvote 1

I am confident that the nay sayers do their job to perfection at their workplace with no mistakes ever.  So, of course, they can criticize a sophomore quarterback who is trying his best. Further, I am also sure that the nay sayers are all Mean Green Club members and season ticket holders.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Who is "They"? The comment I have been seeing is that we should've been throwing deep more, and before they scored 38 unanswered while loading the box on us.

Pushing agendas always seems to skirt the facts.

5 minutes ago, drex said:

I am confident that the nay sayers do their job to perfection at their workplace with no mistakes ever.  So, of course, they can criticize a sophomore quarterback who is trying his best. Further, I am also sure that the nay sayers are all Mean Green Club members and season ticket holders.

I am neither because I am a naysayer.  I'm not gonna throw my money into something that gives me nothing but negative returns.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I think @TheReal_jayD is referencing a sentiment from last season.  If you look at Fine's performance this year - thus far - there is little doubt that he can throw a good long ball.  IMO, he looks much better overall than last year.

It seems we have so many threads about our QB.  My question is, where are all the threads discussing defense?

• Upvote 2

My comments came across much more negative than I intended.  I'm a fan of Mason's and wish him nothing but the best. I  just thought 5 threads dedicated to praising him after a blowout loss was a bit much.  UNTLifer makes a good point though...what if he had struggled in garbage time???  I really think he has a bright future which bodes well for the university. 

3 hours ago, Aldo said:

Excellent post, sir.

I have nothing against Fine and I think he is EASILY the best QB we have had here since DT, maybe even better than him. My point in saying this about the criticism he receives here is that people blame him for being the QB with empty numbers in an offense that is meant to get yards. Its not his fault that he is the best we have and the best we can get--he deserves accolades he's gotten and he's the starter here because he can actually play QB in this system better than the alternatives, many of whom wouldn't make it anywhere else, just based off of their offers before they got here. Maybe SL and GH can improve these guys to be stellar QBs, particularly the Bean kid who is coming aboard next year. But my guess is that Fine will be a 4-year starter and he will continue to be the best QB we have on our roster.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1