I'm Not Giving Up on This Team

Side Show Joe

There is a lot of football to be played.   As I noted, the first game told us nothing about the team.   The SMU game did.  

Even with the score and the game was worse than that indicated, there were some positives.  Despite most opinions, I didn't see that great a difference in the athletes of the two schools.  It wasn't like SMU bulldozed NT down the field.  Sure NT does not have a Sutton like talent, but NT had a lot of players making plays.  

I have no explanations for NT's third down pass defense.  It wasn't just Sutton, everyone seemed afraid to get within 5 feet of a SMU receiver.   The return game was completely disjointed.  Obviously not pluses, but the rest of NT game was much better. 

NT played hard to the end.   The defense did except for one run, dominate SMU's run game.   Yes, NT definitely inexplicably played to stop the run and played very soft pass defense, but NT was very physical at the line of scrimmage.   

NT's pass offense looked for the most part very good.   A lot of posters complain that much of that was against non-first teamers, but those players were all probably superior to what NT played in week one.   Fine played maybe his best game, receiving looks much improved.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTKING said:

This whole bowl eligibility and getting the bare minimum number of wins needs to stop.

Our expectation is to the win conference, plain and simple.

Oh I want them to win a conference championship every damn season. My expectations for this season is for them to go to a bowl game and win. I think it is silly to expect them to win the conference this season. Can I want it and hope it happens? Hell yes, but I don't expect it. Not this season.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, North Texas Shep said:

Oh I want them to win a conference championship every damn season. My expectations for this season is for them to go to a bowl game and win. I think it is silly to expect them to win the conference this season. Can I want it and hope it happens? Hell yes, but I don't expect it. Not this season.

I have this same outlook. Expectations are to go bowling and win the bowl. But expectations aren't cause for celebration for it's expected. 

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

There is a lot of football to be played.   As I noted, the first game told us nothing about the team.   The SMU game did.  

Even with the score and the game was worse than that indicated, there were some positives.  Despite most opinions, I didn't see that great a difference in the athletes of the two schools.  It wasn't like SMU bulldozed NT down the field.  Sure NT does not have a Sutton like talent, but NT had a lot of players making plays.  

I have no explanations for NT's third down pass defense.  It wasn't just Sutton, everyone seemed afraid to get within 5 feet of a SMU receiver.   The return game was completely disjointed.  Obviously not pluses, but the rest of NT game was much better. 

NT played hard to the end.   The defense did except for one run, dominate SMU's run game.   Yes, NT definitely inexplicably played to stop the run and played very soft pass defense, but NT was very physical at the line of scrimmage.   

NT's pass offense looked for the most part very good.   A lot of posters complain that much of that was against non-first teamers, but those players were all probably superior to what NT played in week one.   Fine played maybe his best game, receiving looks much improved.  

And for those that claim all of the yardage in the 2nd half was against 2nd teamers, I suggest that they go back and watch the film.  The smoo defensive starters were in fact still in the game until about the 10/11 minute mark in the 4th qtr.  I believe our last score and 2 point conversion was the only score against mostly 2nd teamers.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what's more frustrating... scoring the first 10 points then giving up 38 unanswered, or getting behind 17-0 or 24-0 in the first quarter like McCarney's 2014 bowl game encore team did. Regardless, our team must play with more consistency.

At least our team was able to finally get the ball moving in the second half. But our defense still needs to learn how to get off the field. I don't think I need to say anything else besides 3rd and 45...

What I want to see next week is improvement. The defensive side first, preferably. I don't want the "Mean" to be revoked from our nickname.

Iowa barely beat Iowa State and didn't blow away Wyoming. I just hope for a more respectable score in the 31-14 range.

29 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

And for those that claim all of the yardage in the 2nd half was against 2nd teamers, I suggest that they go back and watch the film.  The smoo defensive starters were in fact still in the game until about the 10/11 minute mark in the 4th qtr.  I believe our last score and 2 point conversion was the only score against mostly 2nd teamers.

182 yards and 2 tds came in the 4th. Js. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not talking about the players, I'm talking about the fans.  Mainly those of us posting on this message board.  Every team playing college football has the goal of winning a conference championship, but it's unrealistic for most teams.   

I still see you haven't named even one team who went from 1 win to conference champion in two seasons.

• Upvote 1

I did need that.

I've changed my mind.  If Littrell and Company can't become the first team in college football history to go from one win to conference champion in two seasons then they should be fired.  All scholarship players should have their scholarships taken away as well because they obviously didn't perform.  You know what?  This actually goes for every team in college football that doesn't win their conference.  If you don't win your conference you SUCK and don't deserve to keep your job.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NT93 said:

Name me one team in the history of college football that won 1 game and then won their conference two seasons later.

You do realize we were TERRIBLE two seasons ago.

In 1999 we won 2 games (beating Texas Tech and Boise St - go figure) and then won our conference championship (co-champs) in 2001.  We won 3 games in 2000.

West Texas went from the bottom of the conference to conference champs in one year , when they hired Don Carthe

9 hours ago, NT93 said:

How many teams have gone from one of the worst teams in college football to conference champion in two seasons?   That's a pretty unrealistic goal.

l.

22 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Yes we lost in terrible fashion last night. Yes some issues from last season (O-line) still have not been adequately addressed. Yes, our defense didn't get enough pressure on Hicks. Yes, I too am severely frustrated with the lack of down field passing in the first half, due to poor play calling/game plan. And, I'm beyond frustrated with our special teams coaching....

But, this team has the talent to win a lot of football games this season. Fine has improved from last season, and our receivers looked good last night. Our defensive front did a solid job against SMU rushing attack, and held them to only 76 yards. Are we going to challenge for the access bowl? Probably not. But, we certainly have enough talent and ability to contend with most of the teams in C-USA.

Some on here may not agree with this opinion, but I believe we need to hold the coaches accountable... to the extent we can. We as a fan base have to demand better game plans and play calling going forward. The players deserve better play calling. If mistakes are not being corrected from week to week, we as a fan base need to call out the coaches on it. I think we can do these things without quitting on our team, or demonizing fellow Mean Green fans. We are all in this together, and it is very early in the season. If things get corrected, we could still have a bowl team.

Good post. In reflecting on the game, a couple of points:

1) Offensive Line: we had a really difficult time with a loaded run box. Specifically, Lawler ate our lunch for the second year in a row (thankfully, we don't see him again) and he is likely as good as we will see this season. The staff will need figure out how to compensate for these loaded boxes and all out blitzes from an alignment and audible play design standpoint. Pass protection was average.

2) Receivers: solid night from the receiving corps and in the passing game side from the TE's. One of the most encouraging things was the emergence of Jaelon Dardon, as he is absolutely electric. Need to allow Bussey and Guyton more opportunities to make some contested plays down the field, as they have demonstrated the ability to do so. 

3) Defensive Line: they played a very good game. Too bad that Flusche was robbed of his interception.

4) Secondary: we won't see another Courtland Sutton (thankfully)

That SMU team would likely finished near the top of C-USA, particularly if they can get QB ironed out. All in all, there were plenty of positives that, with some adjustments and continuous improvement in certain areas, point toward the ability for us to compete for the West Division of C-USA.