The problem with the UNT offense

UNT90

I could probably have posted this in any number of threads this evening.

I didn't watch the SMU game. I've just yet to see anything that indicates we're much different than we've always been... on the field, recruiting, or administration. We can continue arguing all the finer points, I guess. But I've run out of patience for that.  

That's why I go to games like Lamar. And why I don't make that much from drubbing a FCS school coming from a hurricane-ravaged area with minimal practice time and a whole lot of bigger things going on.  And why I can no longer give a damn about SMU or any of our "peers." 

If a tv show had been on the air for 20 years, and been a terrible show for most of that 20 years, would I still get pissed off when it's still terrible in Season 21? Why? I know it's a terrible show. 

Give me more than 5 wins. Give me more than ONE winning season every once in a while. Give me a win against a program people care about. Until then....

... same Bat time, same Bat Channel

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

I could probably have posted this in any number of threads this evening.

I didn't watch the SMU game. I've just yet to see anything that indicates we're much different than we've always been... on the field, recruiting, or administration. We can continue arguing all the finer points, I guess. But I've run out of patience for that.  

That's why I go to games like Lamar. And why I don't make that much from drubbing a FCS school coming from a hurricane-ravaged area with minimal practice time and a whole lot of bigger things going on.  And why I can no longer give a damn about SMU or any of our "peers." 

If a tv show had been on the air for 20 years, and been a terrible show for most of that 20 years, would I still get pissed off when it's still terrible in Season 21? Why? I know it's a terrible show. 

Give me more than 5 wins. Give me more than ONE winning season every once in a while. Give me a win against a program people care about. Until then....

... same Bat time, same Bat Channel

It took 20 years and Tony Benford to do it to me, but I'm with you. 

Except for showing up to watch the Lamar game. Didn't bother. 

23 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Now, go back and look and see how many of those yards came after the score was 52-17 and SMU's 8th team was in the game. 

The football intelligence of this board is f'n below zero.

At the half he had 105 yards passing.

ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE!!!!

Ever think 10 in the box might affect the running game???? 

So freaking stupid.

Yes, most of those deep passing yards were against the SMU subs. Harrell had confidence in him throwing downfield when the dogs were called off by SMU. Even last year he rarely threw deep downfield but when Morris came in, Harrell had no problem calling deep balls. Even when Shanbour came in on his only series last year, he had a long pass play. UNT90 is not off in his observation. I was wondering why wasn't there a play called for  Fine to go deep from the start?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, NeonGreen said:

Yes, most of those deep passing yards were against the SMU subs. Harrell had confidence in him throwing downfield when the dogs were called off by SMU. Even last year he rarely threw deep downfield but when Morris came in, Harrell had no problem calling deep balls. Even when Shanbour came in on his only series last year, he had a long pass play. UNT90 is not off in his observation. I was wondering why wasn't there a play called for  Fine to go deep from the start?

I get the feeling the entire game is scripted and he fears change. 

This isn't hard. The coaches know his limitation, and they try to Taylor the offense around those weeknesses. 

Go back and watch the pressed when Littrell announced him as starter. Littrell's comment was "he is a good game manager." What a ringing endorsement 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

This isn't hard. The coaches know his limitation, and they try to Taylor the offense around those weeknesses. 

Go back and watch the pressed when Littrell announced him as starter. Littrell's comment was "he is a good game manager." What a ringing endorsement 

I don't know, I think Fine has a good enough deep ball. Coaches need to trust him more. Harrell got schooled tonight by the SMU defensive coordinator. They adjusted after 10 quick points and Harrell had zero answers. 

3 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Real question is, if GH offense stays like this is he gone at the end of the year? 

Id like for him to stay because of his name but we need an OC with experience... 

Another game like tonight and Seth should demote him. Inexcusable to be shut down like that after 10 quick points!

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

The major problems of this offense are...

1) Play calling. From the get go, SMU dared and I mean absolutely triple dog dared us to beat them in the air. And it never ended. They were shading safeties literally all night. Less than a handful of plays I saw a true cover 2-with a true 2 deep. It was shaded with the SS pinching down hard on top of the LB's or shuffling over to usually the field side of the field. It doesn't matter how many yards MF had. That is completely irrelevant. 

2) QB physical measurables is an absolute hindrance to this offense and many people can't see it or choose not to see it. Did you see how many times Hicks hit us in the middle of our defense, typically right behind the backers and in front of the safeties. That is a detrimental part of any passing game. Think of it like a run game. Inside, inside, then boom outside zone or a modification of a stretch play. Same concept applies to the passing game. But that area of the field has been neglected by defenses vs our offense last year and now this year. Mason Fine can't see people in that area of the field. It's literally as simple as that. He chunks a pretty deep ball down the post seam of the field. But he looks like Matt Saracen throwing his first passing TD every time. It's untrustworthy, unpredictable. Nevertheless, defenses cheat away from that area of the field and eat up all of our outside passing game, which is the standard out route OR a stab route by a H-back/TE. Until this can be fixed, our offense is like reading a book. Every team in CUSA has the blueprint of how to play our offense with Mason Fine at QB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I keep hearing how good Fine looks running the offense (not a shot, I just haven't seen either game this year). 

Put him in charge. 

I'd like that, but not likely GH would stay around for that. Again I'm not saying he needs to stay but we would have to be looking i the offseason for one

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Is at QB. Not one pass over 20 yards the entire 1st half. Not one. 

9 and sometimes 10 guys in the box. And the routes most plays don't have a receiver more than 10 yards from the LOS. 

If anyone is expecting more than 4 or 5 wins outta this thing, you are delusional. 

Put in the kid from Ok St if you don't think Fine can throw deep. He can't be worse.

This is the worst take I've seen all night. Please pick up your trophy from the garbage bin from which gathered the raw material for this take. TIA. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

The major problems of this offense are...

1) Play calling. From the get go, SMU dared and I mean absolutely triple dog dared us to beat them in the air. And it never ended. They were shading safeties literally all night. Less than a handful of plays I saw a true cover 2-with a true 2 deep. It was shaded with the SS pinching down hard on top of the LB's or shuffling over to usually the field side of the field. It doesn't matter how many yards MF had. That is completely irrelevant. 

2) QB physical measurables is an absolute hindrance to this offense and many people can't see it or choose not to see it. Did you see how many times Hicks hit us in the middle of our defense, typically right behind the backers and in front of the safeties. That is a detrimental part of any passing game. Think of it like a run game. Inside, inside, then boom outside zone or a modification of a stretch play. Same concept applies to the passing game. But that area of the field has been neglected by defenses vs our offense last year and now this year. Mason Fine can't see people in that area of the field. It's literally as simple as that. He chunks a pretty deep ball down the post seam of the field. But he looks like Matt Saracen throwing his first passing TD every time. It's untrustworthy, unpredictable. Nevertheless, defenses cheat away from that area of the field and eat up all of our outside passing game, which is the standard out route OR a stab route by a H-back/TE. Until this can be fixed, our offense is like reading a book. Every team in CUSA has the blueprint of how to play our offense with Mason Fine at QB. 

Ya we should put his back up in he's so much taller.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3