The problem with the UNT offense

UNT90

Just now, p_phelps said:

It's simple. We're not talented enough. Recruiting matters... To all the unconscious people and blind homers that give excuses when we lose a recruit or get one that we are the only fbs offer.. this is why.. remember this... We need more talent 

Did 90 create a second profile?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Is at QB. Not one pass over 20 yards the entire 1st half. Not one. 

9 and sometimes 10 guys in the box. And the routes most plays don't have a receiver more than 10 yards from the LOS. 

If anyone is expecting more than 4 or 5 wins outta this thing, you are delusional. 

Put in the kid from Ok St if you don't think Fine can throw deep. He can't be worse.

It wasn't Fine. When they actually asked him to throw it deep, it was pretty much always on target or at least giving the WR a chance. And he was fairly accurate on short throws too. The problem is at OC, where we didn't try going deep, and stopped throwing on first and second downs.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

It's simple. We're not talented enough. Recruiting matters... To all the unconscious people and blind homers that give excuses when we lose a recruit or get one that we are the only fbs offer.. this is why.. remember this... We need more talent 

Be careful. You are asking to be bullied. Harry only allows positive opinions here, and will sick Harry's hit squad onyou in a second's notice if you keep this up.

And no, the only one on here who has shadow profiles is a certain moderator who leads the bullying brigade.

Just now, outoftown said:

It wasn't Fine. When they actually asked him to throw it deep, it was pretty much always on target or at least giving the WR a chance. And he was fairly accurate on short throws too. The problem is at OC, where we didn't try going deep, and stopped throwing on first and second downs.

Why do you think we never went deep until the TD pass? You OC doesn't trust your starting QB. This isn't freaking brain surgery. They are trying to tailor the offense to his strengths

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Why do you think we never went deep until the TD pass? You OC doesn't trust your starting QB. This isn't freaking brain surgery. They are trying to tailor the offense to his strengths

Then they are misreading and not looking at what is happening in the game. He had a good game through 2 drives and then for no reason at all they started going conservative and SMU immediately adjusted and started stacking the box

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

Just now, outoftown said:

Then they are misreading and not looking at what is happening in the game. He had a good game through 2 drives and then for no reason at all they started going conservative.

I did find that strange. Aggressiveness just ceased. I don't get it. It's like oh well, the jig is up. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, outoftown said:

Then they are misreading and not looking at what is happening in the game. He had a good game through 2 drives and then for no reason at all they started going conservative and SMU immediately adjusted and started stacking the box

No, SMU adjusted. That's what defenses do. There wasn't one route in those first 2 drives over 15 yards. 

• Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I would expect this exact post from your blind... self. Fine isn't allowed/can't throw the deep ball, and there obviously isn't another QB on the roster any better. After 2 years, that is a recruiting failure. You do realize Fine is a Littrel recruit, right?

But then again, RV would still be here if you had anything to say about it.

I don't care. I have as much pride for UNT as anyone I would bet on it! The facts are we need to get better and have the AD to take us there. But this staff maybe great at UT and coaching up.. we need a Frank Wilson type and then an SL to coach them up. We need to recruit way better. We were out classed by SMU... If you want to homer it up welcome to another century of hopefully .500 

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, p_phelps said:

I don't care. I have as much pride for UNT as anyone I would bet on it! The facts are we need to get better and have the AD to take us there. But this staff maybe great at UT and coaching up.. we need a Frank Wilson type and then an SL to coach them up. We need to recruit way better. We were out classed by SMU... If you want to homer it up welcome to another century of hopefully .500 

No offense, but this was certainly no coaching gem tonight.

What you don't realize is the majority of people on here are perfectly fine with .300. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

53 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

There is a reason the coaches have routes all under 20 yards and don't call a deep ball. It's because they don't trust the QB to throw it. 

That or the Oline can't keep the defense out of the backfield long enough for our fastest receiver to get 20 yards down the field. I'm leaning that way.

• Upvote 5

Graham Harrell gets a big fat F tonight. SMU's safeties played close all night. Zero respect for the pass. Horrible play calling.

Oline gets a -D. Very little push at the point of attack. I thought their passblockingbwas good enough to go intermediate to deep more than what they did.

I can absolutely tell you that UNT did NOT get out athleted tonight. No way in hell. Sutton is the obvious elite player, but other than that no way..,

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Mason Fine threw for 424 yards and 3 TDs. Jeff Wilson couldn't hit 40 yards. Yeah, Fine is the problem. Jeez. 

Now, go back and look and see how many of those yards came after the score was 52-17 and SMU's 8th team was in the game. 

The football intelligence of this board is f'n below zero.

At the half he had 105 yards passing.

ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE!!!!

Ever think 10 in the box might affect the running game???? 

So freaking stupid.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

Yep, Garbage time stats but I don't think Fine was the problem. The play calling stunk. Why in the hell didn't NT throw internediaye/deep more?? SMU's safeties played close all freaking night. The olines pass blocking was decent enough. Run blocking is another story....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Lovely Take 1