Game thread for SMU

outoftown

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Dear lord WB either didn't trust the assistant coaches under TB nor could he have brought in his guy at the time.. firing a HC, WB pointed out doesn't help either.. 

No idea about the softball coach as I have no real experience with that sport.. 

The Hank thing is likely he because he is 1- Producing in his new spot and has connections with the right people that are larger donors that keep giving because of Hank.. 2- He has some type of contract that isn't easy to get out but again none of us have any idea how their contracts are set up.. Coming in and just firing everyone is nice for some people on here because they hated RV and everything he touched, but coming in and cleaning house isn't how most businesses run. 

Also, are you trying to say WB is to scared to fire SL??? Anyone considering the removal of SL has no idea what they are talking about

Not firing benford before Christmas last year is inexcusable.

Hank and the rest of the old AD need to go.

SL is a good coach but horrid at recruiting. Give him 2 more years to get that figured out 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

When you need a yard......

IMG_1400.JPG.dc021f6bd51d071f22e22354da2864be.JPG

Rick

The irony of this post is beautiful. SL mocked this O in his intro presser, SMU was drilled with it to end the 2016 season at the tune of 70 points, and we're playing catch with 5 yard out routes. When I golf, I tee it a little higher than Seth does...Apparently. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

Not firing benford before Christmas last year is inexcusable.

Hank and the rest of the old AD need to go.

SL is a good coach but horrid at recruiting. Give him 2 more years to get that figured out 

Again, Firing/Not Firing TB would have resulted in the same outcome.. WB either had 0 trust in TB's ass. coaches and was willing to give EVERY coach a full season to prove their worth.. Again WB did bring back TB, that was on RV... By the time WB got here "officailly" it was the first day of class, and no way you are going to be able to bring in another coach.. Firing TB mid-year WB pointed out in his data collected changed the results very little (if at all).... So again we likely don't make the conference tourney... 

The cleaning of the AD office is stupid and down right dumb... WB fired/moved on from MULTIPLE personal in the office.. WB has come in and reshuffled people, created and ended multiple positions inside the office.. He has moved around people as well.. Again none of us have any information about why Hank is still here, but us hoping someone is fired because we didn't like the role they played under a man we disliked is stupid, and childish. If you wanna see the man gone, you and whoever else open up your wallets/checkbooks and offer him more $ to leave UNT.. 

SL is not a bad recruiter, look at his recruiting profile, his ass. coaches are also not horrid either.. If they were horrid SL wouldn't have lost 4 coaches to p5 schools, and Perry got a new gig within weeks, the guys here are either new or have gotten critical guys, but yes the  recruiting can be better but look at all the crap UNT has to go up against... Hell he helped bring in the #3 overall pick in the NFL draft, and developed the UNC WR that the Cowboys drafted... SL has to repair UNT coaches under MAC not giving a damn about connections with HS coaches... SL has to go up against YEARS of losing.. SL has an alumni base that only .2% (yes point 2) gives something... SL is competing with a facilities shittier than local HS's, in terms of 1 weight room for ALL SPORTS not football having its own like other D1 programs on top of local HS having IPFs.. Yes an IPF isn't going to help but we are lagging behind.. the only thing we lead in is Music, Art, and kids having better equipment when they are 17 and not 21... 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Again, Firing/Not Firing TB would have resulted in the same outcome.. WB either had 0 trust in TB's ass. coaches and was willing to give EVERY coach a full season to prove their worth.. Again WB did bring back TB, that was on RV... By the time WB got here "officailly" it was the first day of class, and no way you are going to be able to bring in another coach.. Firing TB mid-year WB pointed out in his data collected changed the results very little (if at all).... So again we likely don't make the conference tourney... 

The cleaning of the AD office is stupid and down right dumb... WB fired/moved on from MULTIPLE personal in the office.. WB has come in and reshuffled people, created and ended multiple positions inside the office.. He has moved around people as well.. Again none of us have any information about why Hank is still here, but us hoping someone is fired because we didn't like the role they played under a man we disliked is stupid, and childish. If you wanna see the man gone, you and whoever else open up your wallets/checkbooks and offer him more $ to leave UNT.. 

SL is not a bad recruiter, look at his recruiting profile, his ass. coaches are also not horrid either.. If they were horrid SL wouldn't have lost 4 coaches to p5 schools, and Perry got a new gig within weeks, the guys here are either new or have gotten critical guys, but yes the  recruiting can be better but look at all the crap UNT has to go up against... Hell he helped bring in the #3 overall pick in the NFL draft, and developed the UNC WR that the Cowboys drafted... SL has to repair UNT coaches under MAC not giving a damn about connections with HS coaches... SL has to go up against YEARS of losing.. SL has an alumni base that only .2% (yes point 2) gives something... SL is competing with a facilities shittier than local HS's, in terms of 1 weight room for ALL SPORTS not football having its own like other D1 programs on top of local HS having IPFs.. Yes an IPF isn't going to help but we are lagging behind.. the only thing we lead in is Music, Art, and kids having better equipment when they are 17 and not 21... 

Tired of the excuses. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GRN-WHT said:

Tired of the excuses. 

Its not an excuse, its using damn common sense for the reasons brought up... 

Think of why UNT has been terrible and will keep being terrible.. .2% of alumni give a crap.. AD Offices need $ donations to be successful, and we don't have very many... 

Bitching about TB, but yet he is was renewed by RV (and TB is gone now), and WB buyout someone the national media seems to like ALOT...

Crying about Hank having a job, but yet you and I'd say everyone on this board have no idea what he was doing before compared to what he is doing now... WB laid off a # of people as well but yet no one jumped for joy, it was just people posting asking who and what spots... Vito had a story about the changes in terms of people leaving and new people coming in, and @KRAM1 confirmed it as well... 

If pointing out valid reasons are "excuses" then, sorry... But we need to realize and understand the problems and find ways to fix it..  Just wanting someone gone, or saying Recruiting sucks without understand the big reasons is how we got into this crap hole, because we are just trying to wing it without looking at the big picture. 

----------------------------------------------------------

I've presented this issue to others that have said recruiting sucks... then go up to the Football offices on Tuesday nights (Football offices, are in the Athletic Center and up the stairs and you will see Football Offices, can't miss it) and work the phones with the staff, email/mail them a script... hell post it on here and ill print it off for you and whoever else and hand deliver it with photos for whomever to show it was hand delivered. Again, I bet they can find you a sideline pass and I'm sure if you're good enough, you will stick  around since our coaches apparently suck at recruiting according to some people.. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Dear lord WB either didn't trust the assistant coaches under TB nor could he have brought in his guy at the time.. firing a HC, WB pointed out doesn't help either.. 

No idea about the softball coach as I have no real experience with that sport.. 

Yeah, WB did say that firing a HC during the season can lead to real problems for the program. It's so good that he kept the monstrous failure around. I mean, can you imagine how many more felonies there would have been without Tony B leading his players?!

Kee should have been canned a couple of years ago. The reasons/demons she apparently had at her last stop haven't been corrected.

• Upvote 1

Look at last night's game for the following positives (hint: they aren't from last night):

Courtland Sutton played his last game against us in his life...most likely.

Chad Morris is probably going to be A&M's next coach if they keep winning against a very favorable schedule.

We play SMU at home next year, so that means at least 23k in attendance at Apogee for one home game in 2018.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

Yeah, WB did say that firing a HC during the season can lead to real problems for the program. It's so good that he kept the monstrous failure around. I mean, can you imagine how many more felonies there would have been without Tony B leading his players?!

Kee should have been canned a couple of years ago. The reasons/demons she apparently had at her last stop haven't been corrected.

How again is it WB fault for kids getting Felonies? Did WB recruit these kids? 

UNT lost its top player in Combs to a transfer, so I'm sure if we had fired TB sooner that opens up other guys to considering moving on.. But likely having a quick turn around from TB to Gmac kept guys here 

2 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

How was it that UNT is returning a kickoff up 10-0?

My bad, I said 10-0, not 10-7.. makes the point of running a trick play inside your own 10 even dumber.. thanks for pointing that out

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UNT lost its top player in Combs to a transfer, so I'm sure if we had fired TB sooner that opens up other guys to considering moving on.. But likely having a quick turn around from TB to Gmac kept guys here 

My bad, I said 10-0, not 10-7.. makes the point of running a trick play inside your own 10 even dumber.. thanks for pointing that out

Combs was not UNT's top player. Dude, just, stop. You pile excuses on top of excuses. Is it not exhausting? Just say how it is, not how it could've been if X had happened. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Combs was not UNT's top player. Dude, just, stop. You pile excuses on top of excuses. Is it not exhausting? Just say how it is, not how it could've been if X had happened. 

Who was UNT top basketball player heading into the season? 

The only thing exhausting is you flipping.. offer lists matter but for Bean it doesn't.. pick a position and stick with it and defend it.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

WB's reasons given for not acting on failure during the season included something along the lines of 'players get lost/in trouble'.

That's why I'm lampooning him. TB clearly was a failure and it's not like keeping him around kept the players out of trouble. 

WB had an opportunity to make a statement that failure will no longer be tolerated at UNT. He chose not to make that statement. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

WB's reasons given for not acting on failure during the season included something along the lines of 'players get lost/in trouble'.

That's why I'm lampooning him. TB clearly was a failure and it's not like keeping him around kept the players out of trouble. 

WB had an opportunity to make a statement that failure will no longer be tolerated at UNT. He chose not to make that statement. 

The statement he gave his employees was you will all be given an opportunity to perform and be evaluated..

The bigger question isn't why didn't he fire TB during the year because WB told us why, but what if TB or even his replacement had gotten into the conference tourney like people wish/think woulda happened if TB had been gone/was successful? Does TB get a new deal? does the assistant? How likely are we go to go get Gmac? 

Again, the AD has no control over the players like an HC or assistant coaches who should be aware of things.. Again blaming him because of a statement that was said prior to the incident (I believe) isn't his fault..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 9/10/2017 at 11:49 AM, Army of Dad said:

^^^ Nailed it 

• Upvote 1