Game thread for SMU

outoftown

Just now, Silent Eagle said:

Considering how pathetic the punt returns looked, that is in fact noteworthy. 

Special teams was the biggest problem tonite.. the muffed punt by smiley was stupid and avoidable just like Jenkins vs Lamar... The trick KR return as well.. You don't do crap like that when you're up.. having Darden at least caught his PRs both on the run and with Jenks walking into him

• Upvote 1

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

Special teams was the biggest problem tonite.. the muffed punt by smiley was stupid and avoidable just like Jenkins vs Lamar... The trick KR return as well.. You don't do crap like that when you're up.. having Darden at least caught his PRs both on the run and with Jenks walking into him

That trick return might have been the dumbest thing of the night. It was still a fight at that point. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Silent Eagle said:

That trick return might have been the dumbest thing of the night. It was still a fight at that point. 

Makes no sense when the KR is tossing it back to a guy who is inside his 10... that lead to UNT being pinned deep in there own territory and nearly lead to a blocked punt as well.. UNT was up. 10-0 at this time

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

Someone missed their block and it blew up the play. Otherwise it would have been a good gainer. 

Man page 1 vs page 16. 

Yes someone did miss their block.. still a shitty time to run that play.. UNT was moving the ball and that play killed it.. 

Run that damn play not when you will be in your own redzone

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We fans need to be real with our expectations of this team.. after Lamar we thought way to highly of team. 

This is still mostly the same team from last year (sadly).

This is the same team, same story, same results of the last 10 years. 

• Upvote 1

Observations:

Horrible game plan

NT staff obviously overrated their defensive backfield

Worse 3th down pass defense I can remember

Anyone blaming the loss on Fine in this one, is beyond wrong

Both teams got same total yardage

Way too many mistakes by NT

Darden wins returner job, he earned it; but others were horrible

Offensive line still has a long way to go

Despite the lopsided loss, some good performances: Moore, Muhammad, Gardner, Lawrence, Darden  and Fine

Wonder if Baker is rethinking that Littrell contract redo

It is only one game, but this team has a long way to go to even be competitive in CUSA

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Paying him that much and extending his contract was not going to make him a better coach.  I'm not going to say he's a bad coach, but IMO, the jury should still be out on him.

He is a bad recruiter, or hires them. 

Either way, it's a path to disaster.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

Where else would you run the reverse on a KR?

It's not the play call that was bad, it was the execution. Missed assignment. 

Run it when you got a bigger damn lead or running it with the Reserve man not inside his own damn 10 yard line is when you do it.. let alone run that crap when you have momentum 

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

Everyone needs to chill out.. We thought to damn much after Lamar just like we are now...

Just like everyone did with Beans commitment.. We were high and then all of a sudden we freak out

I'm not sure how long have you been following  the program but I am tired of losing. It isn't a freak out it's the truth. I am glad you have patience then I do.

• Upvote 3

Looked great early, but coaching let us down. The double reverse was a stupid call, and instead of going into the "wild cat" all first half, we should have be taking shots down field. SMU's secondary isn't that good. Our O-line still has issues.

It says "Let It Fly" on the back of our helmets... I had to wait until the second half before I saw us really try to go deep. Not happy with special teams coaching either.

• Upvote 2