Liberty offers C-USA $24 Million to join; C-USA takes a pass

Coach Bill Lewis

There is no price tag on keeping this man out of the conference. Here is Falwell Jr's statement post 9/11 attack:

"wonderfully these 225 years. And since 1812, this is the first time that we've been attacked on our soil and by far the worst results.

"Throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools," he said. "The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad.

"[T]he pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way — all of them who have tried to secularize America," Falwell continued, "I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

Edited by Caw Caw
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3

Liberty's leadership is tone deaf.

Conferences are indefinite co-equal partnerships.

Entry fees are an estimation of the value of the equity the new partner is buying. Let's say you are a partner at a CPA firm. You met with Bill Smith didn't think Bill had what it took to be a partner at the firm. Behavior didn't fit in, resume just a notch under everyone else.

Now Bill comes to you says he will pay 10X the usual equity buy in, downside is that payment is going to become public when it happens. Maybe the partner about to retire would support that so he can cash out more easily but the partners who intend to make it their lifetime work? They don't want to damage the brand, once the customer knows partnerships are no longer based on achievement and fit and can just be purchased, why should they trust the quality of the work? It also means being stuck with Bill for the rest of your time at the firm, if you had wanted to work with Bill you would have voted to extend him a partnership.

Seriously you don't want a school buying their votes in and you don't want the conference to rely on a television network that a member school earns. Ohhh we really wanted that new basketball schedule format, darn it, none of UNT's games fit in on the TV schedule.

It would be like being in the Big XII without an OU to push back.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

There is no price tag on keeping this man out of the conference. Here is Falwell Jr's statement post 9/11 attack:

"wonderfully these 225 years. And since 1812, this is the first time that we've been attacked on our soil and by far the worst results.

"Throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools," he said. "The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad.

"[T]he pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way — all of them who have tried to secularize America," Falwell continued, "I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

I didn't know I hated Liberty until today. I hope they never get in a conference and I hope the school fails miserably.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, meangreenthirteen said:

I didn't know I hated Liberty until today. I hope they never get in a conference and I hope the school fails miserably.

And they hired Baylor's AD from the Briles Era. I was hoping both teams would lose last weekend. (Initially made famous for going after Bill Clinton and his side chick).

Edited by Caw Caw

3 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

It was Baylor president Ken Starr who went after Clinton.  After all was said and done, Ken Starr got to keep his tenured professor of law position at Baylor.  Not a bad gig if you can keep it. 

Stand corrected, Ian McCaw is the now Liberty AD. This guy: 

"Earlier this month, Baylor released a statement claiming that McCaw and Briles were among several members of the athletic department who failed to act upon being informed in 2013 that a female student-athlete had reported being gang-raped by five football players. Baylor said that, in 2015, McCaw initially denied having had knowledge of the student-athlete’s allegations, but then he subsequently acknowledged that her coach had told him in 2013. The school claimed that McCaw said he thought the victim did not wish to report the rape."

I don't know what the hell Politico is, so if they've got a slant or a bias... I just found this a week or two ago through Longform. 

Fun read!

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/25/jerry-falwell-miami-hostel-liberty-university-trey-falwell-215528

15 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I don't know what the hell Politico is, so if they've got a slant or a bias... I just found this a week or two ago through Longform. 

Fun read!

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/25/jerry-falwell-miami-hostel-liberty-university-trey-falwell-215528

added to the road trip itinerary. thanks, tasty!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Fun read!

Fake News written by a beta-male cuck who disregards Buttery Males.

21 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Why wait?  I'm sure Liberty could use some t-shirt alumni.  The fact that you envy an AD with the former Baylor AD sums it all up for me.  You can pretend that this is all about shitting on them because they are "Christians".  No.........it's because they suck ass at life.  

Another UNT fan trying to run off A fellow fan. All over the fact that their personal politics don't jive with another college.

Lord forbid people be given options on different points of view, right?

Perhaps they think you suck at life. Ever consider that? 

Bottom line, this is sports. Religious affiliation shouldn't even be in the discussion. 

Second bottom line: It always amazes me how UNT fandom is like a private club and how so many, especially on this board, will do everything possible to keep it that way. 

With the support of this board. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, OfficerBennett said:

Kind of answers the question of why Mean Green Club numbers lag behind SMU and TCU despite having tens of thousands more alumni in the Metroplex:  the people already in don't want new members.

Yep. They want to feel real important in their little pond. No criticism allowed. Obvious problems? Just ignore them. For 15 years. Everyone in the AD still the same? It's ok, because Wren's magic zen will amazingly change a culture that took years to ingrain itself.

Small time continues to be small time at UNT. And a lot of folks are perfectly ok with that. 

Meanwhile, schools like Liberty are actually committing to winning athletics. Bet they tan our ass in both meetings. Hell, we probably scheduled them because of the sweet cash deal they gave us...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Getting there. Keep pushing, club boy.

oh great...no internet for three months and now I get to enjoy a tete-a-tete with 90. light the tower.

nobody is gonna miss you. fandom and support aren't bargaining chips you can just take off the table when you don't get your way.

Amon Carter is a lovely facility and I hope you enjoy your time there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, OfficerBennett said:

Kind of answers the question of why Mean Green Club numbers lag behind SMU and TCU despite having tens of thousands more alumni in the Metroplex:  the people already in don't want new members.

Yeah, that's definitely not the reason. We haven't had any real success at a level casual fans care about. Even at my time at North Texas our student body, who could walk to games didn't have any form form of school pride beyond the sports-loving or group involved kids. If you don't fix the culture of the fans, just like fixing the culture of the team they will see no reason to give effort or resource to the program. We may all bicker and nit pick at each other over everything here, but we are the base support group. We are the hardcore, with the occasional observer to the madness. And, when all of these people actually see each other in person, most of this keyboard-warrior crap gets cut and we enjoy each others company. Some people have their difference, but a pretentious and bristeling fan-base isn't exactly what's keeping our alumni base out.

5 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

oh great...no internet for three months and now I get to enjoy a tete-a-tete with 90. light the tower.

nobody is gonna miss you. fandom and support aren't bargaining chips you can just take off the table when you don't get your way.

Amon Carter is a lovely facility and I hope you enjoy your time there.

I will, thanks. It'll be great to watch a basketball program that the it's university gives a crap about.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 9/8/2017 at 11:15 AM, Cerebus said:

ETA:

So we not only have to play a 1-1 with Liberty, we left money on the table?  Ugh.  

Oh, we left a LOT of money on the table. At least half a million and for no good reason I can see. We had all the leverage and didn't use it. Frankly its between puzzling and very concerning.

11 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Oh, we left a LOT of money on the table. At least half a million and for no good reason I can see. We had all the leverage and didn't use it. Frankly its between puzzling and very concerning.

Yup. And then the athletic department had the audacity to throw in a quote in their new "master plan" that they have already successfully scheduled new OOC home and home's for the future. It has been WB's biggest mistake up to this point, and it will linger for 3 or 4 years until the series is complete. I hope he's embarrassed by it, he should be. 

*And I don't care about LU academics or religious pov. I care that our very peers are getting them to open their checkbook, and we just decided to turn our nose up at free money. Then turn around and practically beg for new donors via a 5 minute graphic design via social media.