DRC: Weekly prediction: UNT will pull off stunner at SMU

Brett Vito

Ben Hicks, a pocket passer who likes to stand and deliver the ball and isn't as mobile as Matt Davis

I dont know anything about Ben Hicks. When he says he isnt as mobile what exactly does he mean? Does he mean he is very stationary in the pocket and rarely sneaks out of the pocket to get a first down or does it mean he's mobile but not as mobile as M Davis? 

Just trying to get an idea as to what to expect from their QB on Saturday

2 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

I dont know anything about Ben Hicks. When he says he isnt as mobile what exactly does he mean? Does he mean he is very stationary in the pocket and rarely sneaks out of the pocket to get a first down or does it mean he's mobile but not as mobile as M Davis? 

His 41 rushes for -83 yards last year indicates he is a statue. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

I watched a few of their games on youtube the last week or so. They run a lot of pop plays, cheap throws, hitches, outs, slants, go's, and a lot of it is on the field side. They do run their WR screen game and go routes with Sutton on the boundary side a lot. In 2016, they were almost perfectly balanced with 39 rush attempts per game paired with 38 pass attempts per game. If we take away the high % throws early we can put pressure on this offense to produce. Sutton will get yardage, the guys just have to limit his yac. Also, they try to pick apart zone defenses with intermediate sit down routes at a high tempo and when teams switch to man they toss up go's to Sutton or run a variety of 2 or 3 run plays as fast as they can. They run pretty simple offense and with  a variety of tempo. Teams that beat them, usually beat them badly. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I watched a few of their games on youtube the last week or so. They run a lot of pop plays, cheap throws, hitches, outs, slants, go's, and a lot of it is on the field side. They do run their WR screen game and go routes with Sutton on the boundary side a lot. In 2016, they were almost perfectly balanced with 39 rush attempts per game paired with 38 pass attempts per game. If we take away the high % throws early we can put pressure on this offense to produce. Sutton will get yardage, the guys just have to limit his yac. Also, they try to pick apart zone defenses with intermediate sit down routes at a high tempo and when teams switch to man they toss up go's to Sutton or run a variety of 2 or 3 run plays as fast as they can. They run pretty simple offense and with  a variety of tempo. Teams that beat them, usually beat them badly. 

That is a fair and accurate description of our offense last season. The biggest change this year is the OL. We have talented depth two-deep even with losing a couple of guys before the season. Also, the addition of WR Quinn is huge. He has NFL talent to go along with Sutton and Proche.

Hicks is really our only question mark on offense. IMO, he will be on a very short leash Saturday. Gillins is the guy and I think everyone knows it. He is Matt Davis with a better arm. It is just a matter of time before he becomes the starter.

On defense, our DL is probably the most improved unit on the team. Huge upgrade from last season.

Should be a fun game and I look forward to seeing some UNT fans on the boulevard.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

That is a fair and accurate description of our offense last season. The biggest change this year is the OL. We have talented depth two-deep even with losing a couple of guys before the season. Also, the addition of WR Quinn is huge. He has NFL talent to go along with Sutton and Proche.

Hicks is really our only question mark on offense. IMO, he will be on a very short leash Saturday. Gillins is the guy and I think everyone knows it. He is Matt Davis with a better arm. It is just a matter of time before he becomes the starter.

On defense, our DL is probably the most improved unit on the team. Huge upgrade from last season.

Should be a fun game and I look forward to seeing some UNT fans on the boulevard.

I just remember Davis leaving the field last year (hated that for him), and Hicks stepping on the field and immediately leading the team down the field to a TD.  It was like our defense was not ready for the dichotomy of playing styles between the two.   Hoping the Mean Green are much more prepared for Hicks this time.   Do you anticipate Gillins to take over THIS YEAR?   Even if Hicks is playing well enough to win games?

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I just remember Davis leaving the field last year (hated that for him), and Hicks stepping on the field and immediately leading the team down the field to a TD.  It was like our defense was not ready for the dichotomy of playing styles between the two.   Hoping the Mean Green are much more prepared for Hicks this time.   Do you anticipate Gillins to take over THIS YEAR?   Even if Hicks is playing well enough to win games?

Hicks will remain in until he makes a couple of bad mistakes. To be honest he wasn't that good last week. 

Yes, I believe Gillins will be the starter at some point this year. He is exactly the type of QB Morris loves. 

20 hours ago, Withers940 said:

we got beat by davis' feet last year and a big fluke hail mary to sutton. Without davis I think this will be very very close!

Edited by p_phelps