ArkSt Game Cancelled by Opposing Schools Mascot

Cerebus

15 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Too soon?

FAU is leaving to play Wisconsin this Saturday, FIU is staying in Florida in Birmingham to play this Saturday.

ArkSt@Nebraska was 26-27 at half, with the game ending 36-43.  

ETA: USF, UCF, UF, and FSU are also all playing.   

Instead they are moving the team to Atlanta to let them practice an extra week for Florida State.  

Edited by Cerebus

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

FAU is leaving to play Wisconsin this Saturday, FIU is staying in Florida in Birmingham to play this Saturday.

ArkSt@Nebraska was 26-27 at half, with the game ending 36-43.  

ETA: USF, UCF, UF, and FSU are also all playing.   

Instead they are moving the team to Atlanta to let them practice an extra week for Florida State.  

Total excuse by them. Mandatory evacuations, so there is ZERO reason for them to be in Miami. They know they can get out of it, what else can Ark St do, say no and look like the dicks here.

• Downvote 1

Seeing where the other schools stand, it is likely that Miami not really loving the idea of playing this game is likely a reason they decided this early before giving the hurricane a chance to change course. And I assume that force of nature etc is among the reasons you can buyout cheaper. That said, it is hard to completely fault them, given that there is a real probability that the hurricane could come and if it does then not playing that game is understandable.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, outoftown said:

Seeing where the other schools stand, it is likely that Miami not really loving the idea of playing this game is likely a reason they decided this early before giving the hurricane a chance to change course. And I assume that force of nature etc is among the reasons you can buyout cheaper. That said, it is hard to completely fault them, given that there is a real probability that the hurricane could come and if it does then not playing that game is understandable.

Why, last I checked Irma isn't headed to NE Arkansas, and Miami will be evacuated.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Why, last I checked Irma isn't headed to NE Arkansas, and Miami will be evacuated.

You got a point there on there being no upside to being in Miami right now. On the other hand even if Miami doesn't want to leave town when there is a hurricane in Miami, the hurricane might still change path and head a bit further north and actually miss Miami. Noone really knows at this point. I think we agree with the bottom line : Miami is not sad to get out of a game they were not hot on playing in the first place.

Edited by outoftown
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Miami is doing this because they can. Circumstances are on their side and I'm sure they will gladly write Arky State a check for this. Meanwhile, they will gladly host Arky State at their place in the years ahead and they will gladly take the cash. It is the reality of G5s needing P5 cash...

Ark St already played at UM.. I believe it was a 1 and 1

5 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Ark St already played at UM.. I believe it was a 1 and 1

Yes ArkSt already played at UM.  Now Miami is asking for ArkSt to "mutually cancel" this game, which would let them out of owing ArkSt a return game OR a payout.

ArkSt wanted the game to happen so badly that they offered to give UM an extra $300K to cover hurricane related expenses.  UM refused.  Now UM wants to not owe a return game, or pay the payout, in effect getting a home game for nothing.  

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Yes ArkSt already played at UM.  Now Miami is asking for ArkSt to "mutually cancel" this game, which would let them out of owing ArkSt a return game OR a payout.

ArkSt wanted the game to happen so badly that they offered to give UM an extra $300K to cover hurricane related expenses.  UM refused.  Now UM wants to not owe a return game, or pay the payout, in effect getting a home game for nothing.  

Even if the optics are bad, I feel Ark State can simply not afford to let Miami completely off the hook here. That is just too big a financial hit for ArkSt. Offering $300k to make it happen sure was more than just a nice gesture.

If I were Ark. State I'd hold UM's feet to the fire and either make them pay up or play the game some other year.

Food for thought: The UTSA/Houston game was canceled for this season and will likely be rescheduled for 2025 or later.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

So the 100+ players, coaches, and staff who travel with the team should play a football game while Florida/their families get hit by one of the largest hurricanes in the history of the Atlantic Ocean?

But, apparently it is perfectly fine to travel to Atlanta to start practicing for the next game

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

Miami is doing what P5 giants do when they can--buy out the return game at the G5 when it's possible. Arky State is the last place they wanted to play an OOC game--they just used the hurricane to avoid this. I guarantee if this was Arkansas that they were scheduled to play in Fayetteville, this game would get played as scheduled.

• Upvote 1

Richt asked the AD to buy the game out after he was hired. At a coaches golf event asked Freeze and Malzahn what it was like playing at AState and they told him it can be one of the louder places in G5 and Richt complained about his AD.

Hurricane gave them cover, they took it.

Good luck Saturday, just dropped in to see what the talk was on SMU since they are our next serious opponent.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Richt asked the AD to buy the game out after he was hired. At a coaches golf event asked Freeze and Malzahn what it was like playing at AState and they told him it can be one of the louder places in G5 and Richt complained about his AD.

Hurricane gave them cover, they took it.

Good luck Saturday, just dropped in to see what the talk was on SMU since they are our next serious opponent.

This is the kind of chicken sh#* stuff that drives me crazy.  The NCAA is so weak that they can't even hold their feet to the fire and the G5's are basically at the mercy of the P5's.  I was always a Richt fan but I hope they lose out in 2017.

• Upvote 1