Soooooo... Baylor?

golfingomez

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Which is why we need to bust a move and get them in C-USA!

No: I wouldn't want an invite to C-USA for Baylor either right now.

Edit: But for Liberty in particular: I don't think UNT -a public tier one university thanks to its scientific prowess- should be associated with a institution like Liberty. The scientist in me would have a hard time with associating with a place that believes that they are an institution of higher learning but has scarily many people who think evolution did not happen which shows a profound lack of scientific understanding to the point that one has to call it denial. And that is not even to talk about them having the moral failure of hiring all the dirty Baylor administrators.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 11
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 8

4 hours ago, outoftown said:

Edit: But for Liberty in particular: I don't think UNT -a public tier one university thanks to its scientific prowess- should be associated with a institution like Liberty. The scientist in me would have a hard time with associating with a place that believes that they are an institution of higher learning but has scarily many people who think evolution did not happen which shows a profound lack of scientific understanding to the point that one has to call it denial. And that is not even to talk about them having the moral failure of hiring all the dirty Baylor administrators.

this...I could not agree more. ✔️

C-USA needs schools that believe in science & reason. 

not a fan of either school...too bad one of them had to win.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

50 minutes ago, 3XL said:

this...I could not agree more. ✔️

C-USA needs schools that believe in science & reason. 

not a fan of either school...too bad one of them had to win.

Would love to see Cusa get the W, and that's the only reason I would cheer for UTSA (or even be happy for them to W) but I'm pulling for Baylor. 

If we can win vs SMU (fingers crossed) that means we would be 2-1 or 3-0 coming back from Iowa for the UAB game and possibly Bryces first game back.. 

5 hours ago, outoftown said:

Edit: But for Liberty in particular: I don't think UNT -a public tier one university thanks to its scientific prowess- should be associated with a institution like Liberty. The scientist in me would have a hard time with associating with a place that believes that they are an institution of higher learning but has scarily many people who think evolution did not happen which shows a profound lack of scientific understanding to the point that one has to call it denial. 

Only it's not smart to have a disassociation, (athletics wise) with schools you might have a theoretical disagreement with, especially over a debate as old as this.

And by the way, the director of creation studies at Liberty, a guy name Dewitt I believe teaches both philosophies of creation and evolution to allow his students to decide for themselves.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

Can you imagine if Baylor begins the season 0-2 with the 2 losses to Liberty and UTSA?  Wow!

If they win another game, it'd be too much success that they don't deserve. 

Program needs to be disbanded for a couple of years...SMUs sins were petty compared to what Baylor allowed and overlooked just to win at football and to make $$$ for their school. Disgusting...

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Only it's not smart to have a disassociation, (athletics wise) with schools you might have a theoretical disagreement with, especially over a debate as old as this.

And by the way, the director of creation studies at Liberty, a guy name Dewitt I believe teaches both philosophies of creation and evolution to allow his students to decide for themselves.

Rick

In regards to college athletics...I would prefer being associated with schools that use science & reason to unlock some of the mysteries of our world & universe vs schools that perpetuate modern mythology to protect their theology. 

schools like Liberty teaching both creationism and evolution as an equal sounds about right...that's funny. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 9

13 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Will this shut those who hated the Liberty scheduling?  Liberty has been pouring money into the program the last 2 years. They are well funded. I think this makes the scheduling legitimate. 

Scheduling and funding may be legitimate but their degrees still ain't.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, 3XL said:

In regards to college athletics...I would prefer being associated with schools that use science & reason to unlock some of the mysteries of our world & universe 

We're not associated with them when we play them on the field or court.  You could find something to disagree over with just about any school.  Thankfully athletics scheduling doesn't go that way.

Rick

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

Let's see if we can beat either team on the field before we parse their theology.

The good news:  UNT won, and A&M, Baylor, and (drum roll) UT lost!!!  Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of supposedly connected sphincters.  I am surprised the refs couldn't find a way to screw Maryland.    

Edited by Aigle Vert
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, pastorgrant said:

This is just bigotry. 

...for those who find "irony" funny. 

I think most people could agree that there are lots of good people doing good things for others. I would also think that most prefer the idea of doing these good works for "goodness sake" and without denying science & reason. Liberty U. has had a history of intolerance for others outside of their particular theology. 

Denying science that could help or feed others is not a good thing.

personally I wish we were not playing Liberty...and I sure as heck don't want to be in a conference with them.

#preachersgonnapreach 

is it pay...I mean Sunday yet? 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 10

7 hours ago, 3XL said:

Denying science that could help or feed others is not a good thing.

I don't know why I am jumping down this rabbit hole, but what does this have to do with teaching creationism or evolution?

As far as science goes, if you truly follow the scientific method, the conclusion of your experiment is still yet a theory. Science should never be treated as truth or dogma. It is merely an expression of what we are able to understand at a given time under certain circumstances.

Science is neither the judge or jury, but a Petri dish that demonstrates an outcome in a controlled environment. None of us truly know the answers to these questions. As you aptly put it,  we are all trying to "unlock some of the mysteries of our world. & universe."

Your statement here indicates to me that the theories are still up to debate and examination. I have this sneaky feeling that the true answer exists either in between the Liberty and Richard Dawkins view or something way beyond what any of us has comprehended.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Are you saying all religion based schools are not legitimate because of their philosophy?  

No I'm saying that Liberty, a university who most of their credits don't transfer to other schools because a lot of their programs are not accredited by many of the larger accrediting bodies that matter, is not legit. 

Add to that their abysmal graduation rate and their status as a perennial bottom feeder in the rankings of all universities in the US. 

Their religious convictions and ideology have nothing to do with my objection to them being in C-USA. Them being an East Coast version of University of Phoenix but with a football team is what make me object to them being our conference mate.

The hiring of all the Baylor athletics folks who should have been persona non grata to the entirety of the NCAA is a cherry on top. That shows me that they care about nothing but winning at all costs, an ideology which only leads to trouble and something I don't want us to be associated with. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, pastorgrant said:

This is just bigotry. 

Liberty is a school founded by a con artist as a way for Falwell to launder his money and maintain a tax exemption.

I can't wait til we play them. I'm sitting in the student section specifically for it, need to come up with a top notch sign.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

+1 everything @TheWestie said.   

I have no problem playing Southern METHODIST University next week, or trying to schedule Texas CHRISTIAN University.  A series with the devoutly Mormon BYU would be just fine.  Their religious views, as strong as they are, don't seem to interfere with their educational mission.  

You can't gloss over the fact that they don't grant tenure either.  Tenure is what gives faculty freedom to express views that the administration may not agree with.  That can't be done there, on purpose, the administration wants total control of views expressed.  This is something that is central to American education, and is even done down to the Junior College level.  But not Liberty.   

9 hours ago, TheWestie said:

No I'm saying that Liberty, a university who most of their credits don't transfer to other schools because a lot of their programs are not accredited by many of the larger accrediting bodies that matter, is not legit. 

Add to that their abysmal graduation rate and their status as a perennial bottom feeder in the rankings of all universities in the US. 

Their religious convictions and ideology have nothing to do with my objection to them being in C-USA. Them being an East Coast version of University of Phoenix but with a football team is what make me object to them being our conference mate.

The hiring of all the Baylor athletics folks who should have been persona non grata to the entirety of the NCAA is a cherry on top. That shows me that they care about nothing but winning at all costs, an ideology which only leads to trouble and something I don't want us to be associated with. 

This is an excellent post.

As a Christian, I am against them, because their ilk is what gives my religion a bad name.  Well, them and Joel Osteen and SMU's pay scandal and Baylor's murder scandal and Baylor's sex scandal.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1