Lamar's plan to get to Denton

Harry

Kudos for them for the effort, seriously.  If they have fans show up, I'm gonna say hi to each of them at the tailgate, shake their hand and thank them for coming, offer them a beer.  

If you go to the site below, you can get to a link that shows which highways are flooded/closed.  It's pretty sobering.  

https://drivetexas.org/#/7/31.078/-97.907?future=false&sidebar=false

• Upvote 2

Not sure this is a good plan.

Leaving west/north -ward tomorrow would seem the smarter move to me, as I expect a lot of the closed and flooded roads will be opened up tonight and tomorrow morning as the water starts receeding. In the east howevever is where the storm is headed, i.e. they are driving towards the problem it seems to me, not away from it.

24 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

ugh.  
I really hate this for these guys.

I do too and I hope they have a safe trip. I am being selfish here but I am very excited that there is going to be a game this Saturday!!

EDIT: AS OF RIGHT NOW

Edited by Withers940
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

41 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Leaving west/north -ward tomorrow would seem the smarter move to me, as I expect a lot of the closed and flooded roads will be opened up tonight and tomorrow morning as the water starts receeding. In the east howevever is where the storm is headed, i.e. they are driving towards the problem it seems to me, not away from it.

I was watching the local Beaumont news this morning.    They were saying that they expected Neches river to finally crest sometime on Friday.   So, trying to get out today seems like the best idea to me.    Looking at the closed roads, I also thought the easiest way out was to the east.     However, this is going to end up being a long and stressful trip for them.     It's going to be a strange game, most likely with a lot more chivalry than you would normally find in football game.

Edited by akriesman

I unfortunately won't be able to be at the game this weekend, but I have no problem with openly calling out (NOT cursing out) fans who use the hurricane as an insult towards Lamar. Not a laughing matter right now and these people deserve nothing but respect for making it out to Denton for the game, assuming it happens.

GMG

1 hour ago, Caw Caw said:

If the game happens, and I make it to this game, and someone in my section is talking shit to this team or its fans i'll personally make you look like an asshole.

Green Brigade should step up and maybe turn around at PreGame and play Lamar's Alma Mater, if they don't bring their band, which I doubt they will.  

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Lamar fan living in Houston here: i know it sounds a little backwards but that's literally the only option. All of the main roads going west or North from Beaumont either have water or are in danger of it as rivers keep rising. East of Beaumont rainfall totals were significantly less. I think Lake Charles got "only" 10 inches or so compared to the 40+ inches Beaumont got. So yeah, the storm has gone east, but it's not the apocalyptic event it was. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

Green Brigade should step up and maybe turn around at PreGame and play Lamar's Alma Mater, if they don't bring their band, which I doubt they will.  

Cool idea but if that haven't already thought of that by now and practiced it a few times, I feel there's not enough time to make it sound decent.

• Upvote 1

Trying not to post specifically football-related stuff until after SMU, but this is a weather/human condition thing, so...

...can we make a concentrated effort to cheer the Lamar players when they come out of the locker room to run onto the field Saturday instead of booing, as many people often do?  I'm not for cheering when they do well because, well, they're not our team.  Maybe I can see that this one time because what little fanbase they would have otherwise brought will not be there.  But, at minimum, let's give their guys a good cheer when they hit the field before the coin flip anyway.  They are going well out of their way to prevent the headache of rescheduling this thing.

I'm going to make an effort to find someone dressed in Lamar gear - and who has traveled up from that area - and buy them a cold one or the concession of their choice.  Those who do find their way out of that area just for a college football game should be shown some love.  Guessing majority of these will be player family types.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, dmaxel said:

Cool idea but if that haven't already thought of that by now and practiced it a few times, I feel there's not enough time to make it sound decent.

You're talking about the Green Brigade.  These are top-tier musicians.  They could sight-read Lamar's Alma Mater and make it sound beautiful.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, dmaxel said:

totally disagree.  our band is made up of mostly music majors that are talented beyond belief.  they practice on the way to practice, at downtime during practice, after practice.  i have zero doubt that they could do this and make it sound wonderfully by saturday.  our band is one of the best for a reason.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You're talking about the Green Brigade.  These are top-tier musicians.  They could sight-read Lamar's Alma Mater and make it sound beautiful.

12 minutes ago, THOR said:

totally disagree.  our band is made up of mostly music majors that are talented beyond belief.  they practice on the way to practice, at downtime during practice, after practice.  i have zero doubt that they could do this and make it sound wonderfully by saturday.  our band is one of the best for a reason.

Alright, alright, fair enough. :)

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Trying not to post specifically football-related stuff until after SMU, but this is a weather/human condition thing, so...

...can we make a concentrated effort to cheer the Lamar players when they come out of the locker room to run onto the field Saturday instead of booing, as many people often do?  I'm not for cheering when they do well because, well, they're not our team.  Maybe I can see that this one time because what little fanbase they would have otherwise brought will not be there.  But, at minimum, let's give their guys a good cheer when they hit the field before the coin flip anyway.  They are going well out of their way to prevent the headache of rescheduling this thing.

I'm going to make an effort to find someone dressed in Lamar gear - and who has traveled up from that area - and buy them a cold one or the concession of their choice.  Those who do find their way out of that area just for a college football game should be shown some love.  Guessing majority of these will be player family types.

I'll join you and ask others in my vicinity to do the same.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Did they decide to nix going to Lafayette and just come straight up here?

Either way they have to go to Louisana just to get out of Beaumont.  That is the only way out that is open at the moment.  UL-L offered their facilities to us earlier this week and one of our co-DCs was on staff there the last couple of seasons.  Guessing that was the connection there. Yesterday I-10 east coming into Texas was closed and people were being detoured in Lafayette up to Shreveport then over to Texas.  Add to this, the Sabine River (river that decided Texas and Louisiana) is about to flood and will probably shutdown I-10 both ways.  They have already called for a mandatory evacuation for the areas along the river in Orange which is just outside Beaumont.  If the team didn't leave today they might not have been able to leave at all.  My guess is they will practice tomorrow in Lafayette then head to Denton.  They might even try to get some work in tonight when they get there so there isn't as much rust...honestly you'd rather just have a walk-through the day before a game and not a full fledged practice.