Lamar sportswriter: UNT game "should" be cancelled

Harry

I fully expect this game to be postponed and maybe even canceled altogether. 

If Lamar had any intent in play this game they would've left town yesterday. Given most of their roster is from the Houston area, I don't blame them for not wanting to pull their players away from their families. 

The selfish me wants them to play it. The realistic me is expecting a cancellation. 

• Upvote 1

I'm heading down to Houston today. I seriously doubt this game will be played as scheduled.

15 minutes ago, untbowler said:

postpone the game and make up on 10/7.

Good grief this is a no brainer, outside of the jackwads down voting everyone that is talking common sense. Imagine if UNT was in same situation as Lamar or UH.

As I said last night, everyone wants to show off their Hurricane Expert badge up here all the sudden.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

What input does UNT have in this, really?  I suppose we could be dills like the Rangers and refuse to reschedule to the bye week, holding them hostage for whatever the buyout money is.  That would be pretty sorry of us, but I suppose this is run like a business.

I don't want to play the game and then have the above come out as the reason it was not postponed or cancelled.  Now, if Lamar University really wants to play, then by all means....

24 minutes ago, untbowler said:

postpone the game and make up on 10/7.

Good grief this is a no brainer, outside of the jackwads down voting everyone that is talking common sense. Imagine if UNT was in same situation as Lamar or UH.

Exactly. But bring on the down votes. I stand by saying the game should be canceled. Safety first. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If game is cancelled/postponed, why not have fans still come by, tailgate and do a meet and greet or short scrimmage, if even allowed. Many fans will already be coming in or close to town.

Maybe do a fundraiser to help Houston Area. Good things could still come out of the postponement.

• Lovely Take 2

1 minute ago, untbowler said:

If game is cancelled/postponed, why not have fans still come by, tailgate and do a meet and greet or short scrimmage, if even allowed. Many fans will already be coming in or close to town.

Maybe do a fundraiser to help Houston Area. Good things could still come out of the postponement.

Great idea.  My tailgate group has already all agreed that we're still meeting up whether or not there is a game.  No reason to not open up the parking lots and stage an impromptu pep rally/fund raiser...

• Upvote 1

Move game to Thursday , Oct 5th.. would be a short week , but shouldn't really make a difference on the outcome... get game  aired by ESPN 2 ( currently not showing a game on that night  )... run it almost like a telethon with 100% of the donations going to the people of Beaumont.. would give us a mini 8 day break before UtSA game . 

You get exposure, a win , a little break & money going to victims 

Edited by @UNTSportsFan
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

19 minutes ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

Move game to Thursday , Nov 5th.. would be a short week , but shouldn't really make a difference on the outcome... get game  aired by ESPN 2 ( currently not showing a game on that night  )... run it almost like a telethon with 100% of the donations going to the people of Beaumont.. would give us a mini 8 day break before UtSA game . 

You get exposure, a win , a little break & money going to victims 

Nov. 5th is a Sunday and is the day after we play at LaTech.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Nov. 5th is a Sunday and is the day after we play at LaTech.

A quick look at the calendar makes me think he meant those dates in OCTOBER.

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

He meant October 5th. 5 days after the Southern Miss game and if we did play on Oct. 5th, it would give us a 9-day "bye" week before the utsa game on the 14th. 

We'd lose a fair portion of our regular home crowd for a Thursday night game if we went that route.

• Downvote 2

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

It'd be better than not playing the game at all as far as gate $ and concessions. Also, it's an important game for us in regards to bowl implications. 

True but playing the game on a Saturday means even more gate and concession $$$. Why intentionally limit your potential attendance.

• Downvote 2

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

True but playing the game on a Saturday means even more gate and concession $$$. Why intentionally limit your potential attendance.

To have 48 more hours to prep for a hopeful win vs what has become a solid 2017 opponent in utsa. I mean, FCS draws aren't very good anyway. Let alone not in a season opening slot with a couple L's possibly already notched on our belt. 

1 minute ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

so does this mean they are practicing??

image.png.b9ac18e27f04ca76b589ac5e33ade778.png

image.png.11002d4c30a9987d71fd373a777e21aa.png

Not sure if they took them up on that offer or not. If they did, we're definitely having the game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

What input does UNT have in this, really?  I suppose we could be dills like the Rangers and refuse to reschedule to the bye week, holding them hostage for whatever the buyout money is.  That would be pretty sorry of us, but I suppose this is run like a business.

I don't want to play the game and then have the above come out as the reason it was not postponed or cancelled.  Now, if Lamar University really wants to play, then by all means....

giphy.gif

Rangers made a fantastic offer.
Reid Ryan played hardball for some dumb reason & lost an opportunity to play in front of tons of their own fans & make a ton of much-needed money for the city his team plays in...  
Instead, he took his ball to Tampa, playing in front of 5 people contributing beans to his city, & complained about it on social media.   The Rangers, wisely, chose not to respond.  Something about arguing with fools.
They have a 12-game lead on the division with a sweep of the Rangers in Arlington already in their pocket.  Nothing to lose (except a lot of help for your city) by playing 3 games in Arlington instead of freaking Tampa.

I factor his lack of judgement and the unnecessary vitrol from otherwise awesome Astros fans on the stress of their situation, understandably.

Seeing a lot of flooding in Beaumont.  My sister lives there.  
I would not be surprised to see this game postponed.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

When I asked why Lamar had not come up early, I was told their budget was just to small to put everybody up in a hotel for an extended time.  It's fine to have a place to practice, but food and sleeping for 75 +_ people (players and staff) is costly, plus the cost of transportation to get around while they are here.

Edited by Green Dozer

2 minutes ago, Green Dozer said:

When I asked why Lamar had not come up early, I was told their budget was just to small to put everybody up in a hotel for an extended time.  It's fine to have a place to practice, but food and sleeping for 75 +_ people (players and staff) is costly, plus the cost of transportation to get around while they are here.

UNT should've foot this bill and I am almost 100% certain that UNT alum, fans, and the city of Denton and its businesses would have been very welcoming from a financial standpoint. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

UNT should've foot this bill and I am almost 100% certain that UNT alum, fans, and the city of Denton and its businesses would have been very welcoming from a financial standpoint. 

I couldn't disagree more. If UNT alums, fans, and city of Denton businesses have money to throw around like that, I would much rather them send those financial resources to the SE Texas region that is going to require a lot of financing to rebuild and rebound from the devastating weather they have dealt with the last week. Spending those resources to ensure a football game happens seems pretty wasteful at this point. If they can get here on their normal budget, then great. Let's play a game. If it requires extra finances, reschedule or cancel.