BREAKING: Lamar game may "possibly" be cancelled per Lamar HC

Harry

3 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

"A sweet deal" my ass. More like "hey I heard you had a natural disaster impact you, mind if we take advantage and squeeze out three more home games?"

Also, to everyone on this forum, if you aren't from the coast, and have never lived through a hurricane, sit down & stfu.

To put this in perspective, Katrina dropped 17" on NO. Harvey dumped 50. 

Damn someone needs to take a chill pill... 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Damn someone needs to take a chill pill... 

I have family directed affected while you dimwits are saying that Lamar is trying to get out of the game.

No, it's just that maybe they have to pull up waterlogged carpet and cut out mildewed drywall and fill out FEMA forms.

Not that this forum's response is surprising, it's exactly what I have come to expect from here.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 10

Just now, Ryan Munthe said:

I have family directed affected while you dimwits are saying that Lamar is trying to get out of the game.

No, it's just that maybe they have to pull up waterlogged carpet and cut out mildewed drywall and fill out FEMA forms.

I'm going to guess that multiple people have family members that are affected by this storm... so don't act like your the only one who is/will be affected by this

Sorry that you get "triggered' by a few "dimwits" for dumb remarks.. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

But yet you call me the "snowflake"... damn man you're starting to sound like that Univ. of Tampa Professor who said Texas deserved this because of the GOP.. 

I chuckled this morning when I read a tongue in cheek comment about how Dallas people keep "hurricanesplaining" with their "dry privilege".

Well, folks, clearly it wasn't a tongue in cheek comment.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

36 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

"A sweet deal" my ass. More like "hey I heard you had a natural disaster impact you, mind if we take advantage and squeeze out three more home games?"

Also, to everyone on this forum, if you aren't from the coast, and have never lived through a hurricane, sit down & stfu.

To put this in perspective, Katrina dropped 17" on NO. Harvey dumped 50. 

You have bad information.

The Rangers suggested handling things the way Baltimore/Tampa did during the Baltimore riots.  Play in Arlington where the teams already are and both teams have fans. Give the profits from the gate and concessions to the Astros and/or donate it.  Instead, the Houston wanted to the Rangers to screw their own fans who already had tickets to that next series AND have the Rangers play an additional three games on an already long road trip at the end of the season.  I can see how Houston would want to switch the series but I can completely see why the Rangers didn't.  Precedent is on the Rangers side. 

The real issue is Reid Ryan running his mouth and making the Rangers look bad by misinforming the public.  

• Upvote 8
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

We were talking about this at work earlier, according to my boss the game is still going to go on, and that its a possibility that the team will get here earlier and could have practices in our facilities (Wren tweeting about that being a possibility as well) 

• Thanks 1

It wouldn't bother me one bit if they canceled this game. Why would anyone be upset if they did, considering what's going on in the gulf coast region????

It wasn't like we were going to beat smu anyway.  :D

BOOM!!!!

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 5

22 minutes ago, KABrother88 said:

Lamar fan here.

Before I get too far I just want to explain the position Lamar is in right now in terms of flooding.  I live approx 10 minutes from the Lamar campus in Nederland.  I actually live closer to campus than many people actually in Beaumont.  At the moment, my street is about 18" under water and it is slowly making its way towards my front door...and we are steadily getting more rain.  We aren't seeing the catastrophic flooding that Houston is getting but don't mistake this as not being a serious issue.  Houston's problem is that its drainage system has been sacrificed for expansion of housing.  50-60 years ago when the drainage was designed, it was adequate for the population at that time.  But as the city boomed, the drainage system wasn't upgraded and it's times like this that you see the effect of that.  To put a numbers effect on things, earlier today the weather channel reported that Houston Hobby Airport had seen 27" and Houston Bush International Airport had seen 29" of rain in the last 36 hours...each with 3"-5" to come.  At that same time Beaumont had received 25" with another potential 8"-12" to come.

Now to the game.  This is the only "money game" Lamar has on the schedule this season.  We need this game to make the program stay afloat.  Yes we have the same bye week but if we postpone it we are in the same boat in terms of not having a bye week all season.  I also wouldn't read too much into the coaches comments.  From the press conferences and interviews he's had since he took over in December, he hasn't made himself look very comfortable behind a mic.  Another thing to consider is that Lamar recruits the Houston and southeast texas areas heavily...several of the players are dealing with issues that go well beyond the field...yes they are physically not there but don't underestimate the toll that it takes mentally.

As a fan I hope this game goes as scheduled and we can begin to move beyond this disaster.

I hope the game does as well, and I agree yall at Lamar have had hard the past week. With lack of practices, flooding and players having their families on their mind as well while being off at school can be tough. 

Hopefully our comments (mine included) about the coach doesn't come off as rude or anything, most of us (likely all of us outside of you) haven't seen/heard from him before. Nor do any of us likely know anything about him.

Agreed, the money game is critical and most likely even more needed now than before (sorry, not to be a dig but just stating about possible damages to university?). I'd like to hope UNT/Lamar can work out something in terms of getting the team up to DFW (if they want that) before the game for y'all to just get out of the rain and some solid practice time. I'm hoping that this isn't a game that is ruins lamars complete season or damaging the young man y'all have either. 

Hope you and others can make it, if y'all are planning on coming because I know UNT would be more than welcoming and most likely most/all tailgaters as well. Stay safe my friend! 

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

Since UTSA/Houston is cancelled, I wonder is there is some way to swap dates so that UTSA/UNT play this week and we play Lamar on the UTSA date.  

That may happen, but again it's likely to "late" for that switch to happen.. The booking of hotels for the team (UTSA), packing of equipment and transportation, and the times likely wouldn't be pleased with the lack of game prep since both have planned for someone up till whenever it would be announced.

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

That may happen, but again it's likely to "late" for that switch to happen.. The booking of hotels for the team (UTSA), packing of equipment and transportation, and the times likely wouldn't be pleased with the lack of game prep since both have planned for someone up till whenever it would be announced.

Sure, but those things I would think, on the whole, work to UNT's advantage.   UTSA might concede to it since rescheduling Houston looks very very dicey otherwise.

Just now, MeanGreenTeeth said:

Sure, but those things I would think, on the whole, work to UNT's advantage.   UTSA might concede to it since rescheduling Houston looks very very dicey otherwise.

True, just gotta have both parties agree and who knows if/what is UH week 7 match up look like. 

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not yet.
It's   S  L  O  W  L  Y   moving that way though.  By Thursday, it'll likely be dumping the same amount of water Houston is getting now on them.

EDIT:  It's actually really starting in on them today.

They should have gotten out of dodge today. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KABrother88 said:

Lamar fan here.

Before I get too far I just want to explain the position Lamar is in right now in terms of flooding.  I live approx 10 minutes from the Lamar campus in Nederland.  I actually live closer to campus than many people actually in Beaumont.  At the moment, my street is about 18" under water and it is slowly making its way towards my front door...and we are steadily getting more rain.  We aren't seeing the catastrophic flooding that Houston is getting but don't mistake this as not being a serious issue.  Houston's problem is that its drainage system has been sacrificed for expansion of housing.  50-60 years ago when the drainage was designed, it was adequate for the population at that time.  But as the city boomed, the drainage system wasn't upgraded and it's times like this that you see the effect of that.  To put a numbers effect on things, earlier today the weather channel reported that Houston Hobby Airport had seen 27" and Houston Bush International Airport had seen 29" of rain in the last 36 hours...each with 3"-5" to come.  At that same time Beaumont had received 25" with another potential 8"-12" to come.

Now to the game.  This is the only "money game" Lamar has on the schedule this season.  We need this game to make the program stay afloat.  Yes we have the same bye week but if we postpone it we are in the same boat in terms of not having a bye week all season.  I also wouldn't read too much into the coaches comments.  From the press conferences and interviews he's had since he took over in December, he hasn't made himself look very comfortable behind a mic.  Another thing to consider is that Lamar recruits the Houston and southeast texas areas heavily...several of the players are dealing with issues that go well beyond the field...yes they are physically not there but don't underestimate the toll that it takes mentally.

As a fan I hope this game goes as scheduled and we can begin to move beyond this disaster.

First off welcome to the board and your insight is appreciated.  Please let us know if you are coming to the game because we would like you to come by our tailgate for beer and food.

On the money game thing, believe me we feel your pain.  We have to pay the bills too although it hasn't been as bad lately as in the past we still get to play Iowa there this season and have faced teams like Florida recently.   Frankly we are not that big a favorites against you all in comparison to some of the p5's we have played in recent years.  I expect it will be competitive.

As you may know, our oline coach is Chuck Langston who came from Lamar and we have heard good things about him.  Spent some business time in Beaumont many moons ago and loved the community there.  Very big legal community located there as I recall.  Nice place.

Agreed in that we hope this game can be played and also for no injuries on both sides.  For those Fans of Lamar traveling to the game, safe travels and I think you will find our fans to be very friendly and welcoming. 

6 hours ago, UNTMike81 said:

I really respect everyone on the board, However, If you're not in Houston/Beaumont area "YOU PROBABLY HAVE NO IDEA" how bad it is in this area. Just imagine Denton under 4 plus feet of water. The state and fed's not to mention local citizens are doing water rescues with earth movers, boats, helicopters. Not to mention folks walking in 4 foot plus water for up to a mile just to get out of there subdivisions!!!! I'm talking about rescuing 1,000.00 plus people out of 1 subdivision (probably closer to 2,000.00) with earth movers. Hwy 290 and Tidwell yesterday alone. Probably still going on today. 

My family was lucky. We didn't flood, but by the grace of God!!! The corps of engineers are having to do controlled water release of water from 2 local dams just to make sure water does crest over them. So, the corps of engineers are purposely causing peoples houses to flood to prevent bigger flood downstream ie downtown Houston. San Jacinto river is flooding over banks so city of Kingwood, TX. is under water. Only way to get in is by boat.

This isn't 1 suburb,, or City down here isn't many cites, and areas of Houston. Look on a map!!!

I'm sure Beaumont will get there fair share of rain. I hope not as much as H-Town. I never in a million years thought Harvey would be near this bad here based on original landfall. I bet a lot of the Lamar administration, coaches, and players, have family here in Houston that have lost everything!!!

If you're playing football for Lamar I'm sure the last thing on your mind on Saturday will be playing a football game.

This storm makes Katrina look a walk in the park!!! The state and Fed's are doing a great job, but this situation is so big it's mind boggling!!! FEMA is already approving hotel housing for folks that have lost there house. I have friends in the situation. George R. Brown convention center probably has 10,000.00 and that's 1 shelter.

There are hundreds  of shelters.

Please donate to samaritan purse, the Red Cross, The MET Church (this church is big shelter), or another worthy organization for donation.

I"m a Huge UNT athletics supporter. I've been on this board for years. Based on what's going on down here a game postponement or even not playing this game with Lamar at all this year pales in comparison to what the whole South Texas area is facing or living through.

Many prayers to everyone in the South Texas, Louisiana area that are affected by Harvey. We need everyone's prayers and support in this area from, UNT, the North Texas area, Texas, and the US. Folks from all over the US are here pitching in on the relief effort. It's truly a site and blessing to see.

Who downvoted this post???  Wow!  Unbelievable.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2