BREAKING: Lamar game may "possibly" be cancelled per Lamar HC

Harry

3 minutes ago, Aldo said:

There's literally no way to drive out of downtown Houston. Why get in the way of rescue operations?

Beaumont is still driveable. As long as the path to Lufkin isn't flooded between now and Friday.

I'm assuming you are talkin about UH fans getting in the way to SA? I would agree that is likely way it was called but no idea if that is what you are talking about...

Yes Beaumont is drivable but the storm (as posted) will be hitting them on Thursday... that is why we are thinking they could try and delay the game 

2 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

This must be out of respect to fans. The team is already in Austin, so there's more to this decision than just getting to SA.

I would think its that

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

This must be out of respect to fans an intelligent, thoughtful calculation involving the part of humanity that doesn't include college football. The team is already in Austin, so there's more to this decision than just getting to SA.

???

Or...realizing that many of the Houston players and coaches - and support staff, etc. - have families that have been flooded out of their homes?  Maybe?  So, there are problems for many of the players, coaches, support staff, etc. beyond preparing for a college football game?  Possibly?

"My mom has been flooded out of her home, I can't find her, and neither can any of my relatives.  But...sh*t...forget all of that...we've got a football game to play!"

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

???

Or...realizing that many of the Houston players and coaches - and support staff, etc. - have families that have been flooded out of their homes?  Maybe?  So, there are problems for many of the players, coaches, support staff, etc. beyond preparing for a college football game?  Possibly?

"My mom has been flooded out of her home, I can't find her, and neither can any of my relatives.  But...sh*t...forget all of that...we've got a football game to play!"

This would basically mean every Texas team and several SBC/AAC & SEC teams would also need to cancel their games because there are players from Houston on just about every roster in the US.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This would basically mean every Texas team and several SBC/AAC & SEC teams would also need to cancel their games because there are players from Houston on just about every roster in the US.

I'm going to go out on a small geographic limb and guess that Houston and Lamar have a greater percentage of players from the greater Houston and Beaumont areas than the other Texas schools.  It's just a guess, though.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

???

I'm sorry I didn't phrase it exactly how you would have. I agree with you that they made a thoughtful decision that put human beings above the game of football, and I respect them for that. I was merely addressing the point that was made about it being hard for the football team to get out of Houston.

I really respect everyone on the board, However, If you're not in Houston/Beaumont area "YOU PROBABLY HAVE NO IDEA" how bad it is in this area. Just imagine Denton under 4 plus feet of water. The state and fed's not to mention local citizens are doing water rescues with earth movers, boats, helicopters. Not to mention folks walking in 4 foot plus water for up to a mile just to get out of there subdivisions!!!! I'm talking about rescuing 1,000.00 plus people out of 1 subdivision (probably closer to 2,000.00) with earth movers. Hwy 290 and Tidwell yesterday alone. Probably still going on today. 

My family was lucky. We didn't flood, but by the grace of God!!! The corps of engineers are having to do controlled water release of water from 2 local dams just to make sure water does crest over them. So, the corps of engineers are purposely causing peoples houses to flood to prevent bigger flood downstream ie downtown Houston. San Jacinto river is flooding over banks so city of Kingwood, TX. is under water. Only way to get in is by boat.

This isn't 1 suburb,, or City down here isn't many cites, and areas of Houston. Look on a map!!!

I'm sure Beaumont will get there fair share of rain. I hope not as much as H-Town. I never in a million years thought Harvey would be near this bad here based on original landfall. I bet a lot of the Lamar administration, coaches, and players, have family here in Houston that have lost everything!!!

If you're playing football for Lamar I'm sure the last thing on your mind on Saturday will be playing a football game.

This storm makes Katrina look a walk in the park!!! The state and Fed's are doing a great job, but this situation is so big it's mind boggling!!! FEMA is already approving hotel housing for folks that have lost there house. I have friends in the situation. George R. Brown convention center probably has 10,000.00 and that's 1 shelter.

There are hundreds  of shelters.

Please donate to samaritan purse, the Red Cross, The MET Church (this church is big shelter), or another worthy organization for donation.

I"m a Huge UNT athletics supporter. I've been on this board for years. Based on what's going on down here a game postponement or even not playing this game with Lamar at all this year pales in comparison to what the whole South Texas area is facing or living through.

Many prayers to everyone in the South Texas, Louisiana area that are affected by Harvey. We need everyone's prayers and support in this area from, UNT, the North Texas area, Texas, and the US. Folks from all over the US are here pitching in on the relief effort. It's truly a site and blessing to see.

Edited by UNTMike81
misspelled word
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3

48 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Gotta think, Lamar likely can't pass up the paycheck from the game after this storm.. 

The question is, do they get it (the check) after week 1 or week 7? We need the game in WK 1 more than they do.. To them, how do you make it worth it? Honestly we need the game WK1 really bad... 

Simple. "Come to Denton and take your beating or you get no money because we aren't rescheduling." You can quote it like that to them as far as I'm concerned. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

UNTMike's post is right on.  In 1967, I was living in the Valley and a member of the Texas National Guard. We were activated by the Governor to provide security and rescue operations during Hurricane Beulah. Suffice it to say that Beulah was a real bitch. The storms were comparable in many ways but Harvey is much slower moving and therefore dumping much more water it seems. Of all disasters, hurricanes are the worst in my opinion. That opinion is based on having been up close and personal with a very nasty one.

We're all football fans here, but I would not get my undies in a wad if this game was postponed under these circumstances. This is a disaster that will have effects for years on that region.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

In my lifetime, having lived on the coast my whole life, I've been through many of these things, too many to list.  The winds, although destructive and not taken lightly, come and they leave.  This amount of rain is a different story.  Not many know this, but Beaumont-Port Arthur has been receiving heavy rain for the past few months.  So the ground is soaked.  Now comes Harvey.  Lot of rain, so far, but minimal serious flooding in the area.

However, if Lamar chooses to re-schedule the game to later in the season, I'm okay with that.  Many Lamar players come from Houston, SW Louisiana and many points in between.  So they all likely have family being effected by the flooding.  Let them decide what is right for their players and family.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There's quite a few moronic posts/attitudes about a game most of you complained about being scheduled in the first place. 

And the idea that a team would be scared to play us is laughable. The whole idea that playing one game against a "bigger" opponent leads to injuries is a farce. 

Get your panties out of a wad and let the people at Lamar decide what's best for their kids/coaches. 

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

Read on Lamar's web page that the start of the semester has been delayed until the 5th.  So the team isn't IN classes right now.  They should get somewhere North ASAP and park it for practice for a few days.  There's got to be a municipal HS shared stadium on the way, that's not being used except on game days. 

16 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Yeah, but I don't think Lamar's AD is as big of a jerk as Reid Ryan to call us out even if we offer a sweet deal. 

"A sweet deal" my ass. More like "hey I heard you had a natural disaster impact you, mind if we take advantage and squeeze out three more home games?"

Also, to everyone on this forum, if you aren't from the coast, and have never lived through a hurricane, sit down & stfu.

To put this in perspective, Katrina dropped 17" on NO. Harvey dumped 50. 

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

Just saw that A&M will wear these stickers during their game against UCLA.

DIbzL-CXcAE3j9d.jpg

Kinda short notice to get something like that on UNT helmets, but I wonder if they could make some kind of merch that people could buy and donate the proceeds to some way that would help out Lamar players and families who might need it.  

Random idea.  Sorry if it's lame. 

• Upvote 3