Is the big flag pole up?

Hunter Green

Yep, that's the same pole that I noticed too. I'm still skeptical that it's 120 feet tall. Based on a rough comparison to the clearance of the pedestrian bridge (~30 feet), I want to say it's closer to 100 feet tall. Again, that's eyeballing it. Maybe it'll look better once a flag is flying on it. Either way, it'll be nothing like the flags at Stonehill Center.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, dmaxel said:

Yep, that's the same pole that I noticed too. I'm still skeptical that it's 120 feet tall. Based on a rough comparison to the clearance of the pedestrian bridge (~30 feet), I want to say it's closer to 100 feet tall. Again, that's eyeballing it. Maybe it'll look better once a flag is flying on it. Either way, it'll be nothing like the flags at Stonehill Center.

Is there a difference between 100 or 120 feet??? 

Also, no idea if it matters but they did have to dig/bury it deeper as well. Would be dumb to go rebuy a new one if it had been cut before putting it into the ground

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Also, no idea if it matters but they did have to dig/bury it deeper as well. Would be dumb to go rebuy a new one if it had been cut before putting it into the ground

I'm no mathematician, but the answer is 20. 20 feet. 

But no surprise, scurrying along to defend any and all shit sandwiches. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 4

4 hours ago, dmaxel said:

Honest question:  what/where is Stonehill Center?

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Oh I guess it's fair that the length might've included the amount that's in the ground. Also probably looks smaller than it actually is from the elevated position of the interstate. I'll hold back any criticisms of it and just wait for a flag to be put up on it.

17 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Honest question:  what/where is Stonehill Center?

It's a little shopping center (potentially bankrupt now?) at the northern intersection of I-35 and Loop 288 as you're leaving Denton towards Sanger. Horny Toad Cafe is also there, in case you're more familiar with that. They also have two ginormous flag poles on which there currently flies an American flag -- during Red River Rivalry week they usually fly OU and UT flags, and during our homecoming week they fly the UNT battle flag.

3 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

WTF is the athletic department trying to pull here?  Those jergoffs promised us an 120' flagpole.   If some guy on the internet estimates its not quite 120' then i want some heads to roll!!!!!  Somebody needs to be made to eat these shit sandwiches!!!!!

Idgas about 20ft, 100ft, 120ft. I dgas about the flag pole at all. I was just reverting the excuse maker away to go make another excuse somewhere else for something else. 

But take the excuse makers side. Excuse away. It's how we roll at UNT, I get it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 7

Good gosh almighty! We are now bitching and moaning about the height of a flag pole. A flag pole I tell you...one no one has actually measured. And, one that matters not exactly how tall it is or the reasons behind "why" it ends up a certain height.

It is going to have the best battle flag in the nation flying from it. When that's up perhaps we can bitch and moan about the size of the flag too. Because, you know...the earth revolves around the outcome. Good gosh almighty! 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 6

To be fair, I was the only one "complaining" about the height of the flagpole. <joke>Why are you guys even listening to me -- that was your first mistake.</joke>

Re: location, yeah it's not quite near the initially-described spot, but I like this one better because it's more visible from I-35W as well.

Edited by dmaxel

This is just me, but if you want it to be visible from maximum distance, you put it at the highest point, which would probably be somewhere on the hill.  A hundred and twenty (or a hundred) feed on top of that and you see it from a long way away.  But that's just me.  I'm sure it will look great where it is and I'm excited to see it.  Disappointed it wasn't ready for the first game of the season, but I understand the reasons.  I guess I'll have to wait until next season to see it.  

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, keith said:

This is just me, but if you want it to be visible from maximum distance, you put it at the highest point, which would probably be somewhere on the hill.  A hundred and twenty (or a hundred) feed on top of that and you see it from a long way away.  But that's just me.  I'm sure it will look great where it is and I'm excited to see it.  Disappointed it wasn't ready for the first game of the season, but I understand the reasons.  I guess I'll have to wait until next season to see it.  

In top of hill you lose the 35W folks view,  at the point they put  it anyone driving any direction on 35 split will see it.  Good spot IMO

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Just as a side note it took them about 45 minutes to get it unfurled and put up. Hopefully it will be a lot quicker once they have done it a few times.

ezgif.com-resize%20(8)_1.gif

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Good gosh almighty! We are now bitching and moaning about the height of a flag pole. A flag pole I tell you...one no one has actually measured. And, one that matters not exactly how tall it is or the reasons behind "why" it ends up a certain height.

It is going to have the best battle flag in the nation flying from it. When that's up perhaps we can bitch and moan about the size of the flag too. Because, you know...the earth revolves around the outcome. Good gosh almighty! 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 4