Benefits Of Mean Green Club

ntexeagle

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Just going to say, thank you @AustinFromUNT for contacting WB and the staff about this.. Contacting the AD Office is the only way to get things to change and for issues to be fixed...

Not to bash/attack/ or be a smart-remark to anyone but if you find a flaw or error contact the AD Office to get it fixed, most people in the AD office likely have no idea about this site so issues such as this will never be fixed and more people in the future will have issues in the future. Everyone here wants to see UNT improve and directing worries/problems to the staff will only see things improve...

This is just not true. 

@Cerebus can back this up. People in the AD, of any kind of importance to speak of, know very well about this site. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, NM Green said:

Oh and for the Adelaide footy fan, long live Collingwood FC!

yall are actually having a stellar year.  The Pies not so much.  

GMG

port adelaide fan, not the adelaide.  they are having a fantastic year, but the crows can suck it!

i'm glad the power will be back in the finals after 2 crap years.

such a great sport is footy...wish it were a bit more accessible here and that more people knew about it

Edited by THOR

6 minutes ago, THOR said:

such a great sport is footy...wish it were a bit more accessible here and that more people knew about it

I think I remember watching it back long before ESPN was relevant and you'd see sports like women's field handball and stuff.  

I'm looking over the rules in wiki and it appears that they don't really have a touchdown.  It's like 6 points for a field goal and 1 point for a kinda sorta missed field goal?  

7 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I think I remember watching it back long before ESPN was relevant and you'd see sports like women's field handball and stuff.  

I'm looking over the rules in wiki and it appears that they don't really have a touchdown.  It's like 6 points for a field goal and 1 point for a kinda sorta missed field goal?  

6 for a goal (kicked between the tallest poles, 1 for a behind (kicked/run/punched through the tall and smaller poles on the side

can only kick or punch the ball, no throwing...no timeouts except at the end of the quarters....constant play...so awesome!

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

The 6-point kick has to be a drop kick where it bounces once before you kick it, right? 

no....any kick that is not touched or deflected.  it can bounce across the line as long as it comes off of your foot

• Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is just not true. 

@Cerebus can back this up. People in the AD, of any kind of importance to speak of, know very well about this site. 

Considering RV used to post here periodically and was on the Barbershop Podcast several times, I would be shocked if there wasn't awareness within the current staff. 

• Lovely Take 1

17 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is just not true. 

Some people know.. and WB has even talked about how he visited it once..

yea the old-timers likely know it, but I know plenty of people new and old that have never heard of it because I've discussed it with them (in the Athletic Department) as a way to market to fans.. 

Again it's easy to complain and point out flaws on here, not like the crap is getting fixed... if you want it fixed do something about it because apparently the people who do view board haven't fixed many things since we still have problems with the audio, tickets, dates and times for events... 

I mean we posted about the lack of knowledge of the MGC club on here and nothing, but it took a tweet from Austin for it to be fixed with WB directly replying and Ryan Peek seeking out the individual to fix it himself..

but hey let's keep posting problems here, it's worked in the past! (Not)

14 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Considering RV used to post here periodically and was on the Barbershop Podcast several times, I would be shocked if there wasn't awareness within the current staff. 

There is some knowledge of it likely with guys like Hank, Clapper, etc and even WB has admitted to visiting it once before he was hired.

but the new personal have no idea.. I've brought it up to multiple people as a way to literally post about events, get information from fans, etc and they (people in the office) had never heard of it.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

I'd love to see some Gomeangreen.com signs dropped around campus when kids are walking around at the start of football and basketball season inviting students to introduce themselves and get fired up about Mean Green football and basketball!    Get our graphics guy involved and make it worth checking out!

GMG

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

yea the old-timers likely know it, but I know plenty of people new and old that have never heard of it because I've discussed it with them (in the Athletic Department) as a way to market to fans.. 

Again it's easy to complain and point out flaws on here, not like the crap is getting fixed... if you want it fixed do something about it because apparently the people who do view board haven't fixed many things since we still have problems with the audio, tickets, dates and times for events... 

I mean we posted about the lack of knowledge of the MGC club on here and nothing, but it took a tweet from Austin for it to be fixed with WB directly replying and Ryan Peek seeking out the individual to fix it himself..

There is some knowledge of it likely with guys like Hank, Clapper, etc and even WB has admitted to visiting it once before he was hired.

but the new personal have no idea.. I've brought it up to multiple people as a way to literally post about events, get information from fans, etc and they (people in the office) had never heard of it.. 

You might be right, but I highly doubt it.  I suppose it depends on who you are talking about and what positions they hold.  Companies pay a lot of money to find out what their customers think about their products.  It would surprise me to find out that the Athletic Department was just relying on main stream social media and direct communication from their customers as their voice of the customer from the inter webs.

Now, there are also reasons for them to deny knowing about gomeangreen.com.  If they state that they monitor it, the next thing to happen would be for people to expect them to respond to it, either in action or through posts.   My guess is that they'd rather handle that type of communication through Twitter and Facebook.  Too much keyboard courage on here.  Look at the beatings Vito takes.

Those are my opinions.  Now I'll put my tin foil had back in and resume my daily activities.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Exactly.  That's like the hotels who contract my training services saying they don't pay attention to TripAdvisor, they just know they want to get better. Big big lie.  

I hired an employee who did nothing but respond to good and poor comments on Facebook back in the early days.  We were skyrocketing the experience with an intense physical transformation and guest experience lift.  At some point you have to Find out how you are doing.  The guests became connected to Nikki and she massaged a thousand potential pitfalls on her way to an awesome Service Recovery.

This team is smart so they have to be dialed in.  The only thing they haven't got good at yet is asking for feedback.  Remember that first game survey last year?  I should have gotten 6.  If I can get one after every tragic American Airlines flight I should be getting one after every Mean Green improving game day experience.

GMG

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Everyone in the AD knows about gomeangreen.com.  It's the only major outlet for fans of this program to congregate online and discuss North Texas.  That said, it's basically an internet sports bar.  This isn't the forum for communicating officially through the AD.  Harry and Co are often happy to post and help promote student/fan/alumni events or pass along officially communicated information directed to them from the Athletics Department/Alumni Association/Other University Departments as owners/administrators of this site.  I know from personal experience and have always appreciated their support.  

Also, as usual, @UNT 90 Grad is spot on with his response.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Folks will note that in Wren's "state of the year" letter to Mean Green Club members, it was stated that a goal for 2018 is the "restructuring of the Mean Green Club".  Perhaps some of the emphasis on scholarships and perks will get "re-focused" during this restuucturing/re-branding.

• Lovely Take 1

11 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

You might be right, but I highly doubt it.  I suppose it depends on who you are talking about and what positions they hold.  Companies pay a lot of money to find out what their customers think about their products.  It would surprise me to find out that the Athletic Department was just relying on main stream social media and direct communication from their customers as their voice of the customer from the inter webs.

Now, there are also reasons for them to deny knowing about gomeangreen.com.  If they state that they monitor it, the next thing to happen would be for people to expect them to respond to it, either in action or through posts.   My guess is that they'd rather handle that type of communication through Twitter and Facebook.  Too much keyboard courage on here.  Look at the beatings Vito takes.

Those are my opinions.  Now I'll put my tin foil had back in and resume my daily activities.  

I'm sure people "know" but that doesn't mean they have any idea what is done/discussed on here. The point that I'm trying to make is that GMG.com is very very underused for a site that has such a strong following for UNT sports...  It can be used for fan outreach with fixing issues, marketing events and promos, and just flat out as a way to communicate with alumni. 

Yes companies pay large amounts of $ (and its something UNT just recently started doing) to find out such things like UNT fans are more likely to shop at store XYZ than ABC, but again the problem with posting on Twitter/Facebook is yes everyone has one but so does everyone else.. When anyone is on facebook/twitter you scroll and you see things from tens, hundreds of other people and stuff loses its ability to stick out.. Using GMG.com as a site that people come here for 1 thing, UNT content/discussion..  Posting on GMG may only reach 100-200 people but the people it reaches will have a bigger affect on them then student xyz that is just scrolling through their twitter/facebook timeline in terms of the % that they draw. 

I have used this as an example but last year, UNT sent out an email about free tickets to the SM(southern miss) game at the end of the year to some select list of people. Someone on the board here, posted the email and it lead to more people being aware and likely using it.. I know from experience that 1 email that was posted on here from whoever, has lead 3 new season ticket holders and it wasn't because of UNT athletics, it was because of the random user. (Again, thank you to the random user that did that just like thank you to austin for bring the MGC topic of this thread to WB and Peeks attention for it to be fixed.)

The reasons to use GMG.com far out-weigh the likely problems with it, and thats why Vito does it.. He posts a link knowing that most people aren't going to the Denton RC page every day, or his twitter.. but he knows if he posts on here he will get fans that wanna read and get informed to his stories. Yes using it you may run into some problems, but those are issues that if they a raise they can be fixed or directed to someone, similar to the MGC thing that started the post. 

11 hours ago, NM Green said:

Exactly.  That's like the hotels who contract my training services saying they don't pay attention to TripAdvisor, they just know they want to get better. Big big lie.  

I hired an employee who did nothing but respond to good and poor comments on Facebook back in the early days.  We were skyrocketing the experience with an intense physical transformation and guest experience lift.  At some point you have to Find out how you are doing.  The guests became connected to Nikki and she massaged a thousand potential pitfalls on her way to an awesome Service Recovery.

This team is smart so they have to be dialed in.  The only thing they haven't got good at yet is asking for feedback.  Remember that first game survey last year?  I should have gotten 6.  If I can get one after every tragic American Airlines flight I should be getting one after every Mean Green improving game day experience.

GMG

I agree, and the AD office doesn't need someone that is on here 24/7 or have it the only job they do. They just need someone who can assist in getting people help, just like how Austin took a screenshoot, tweeted it at WB and WB admitted to what was likely the cause and directed to who can fix it. This should not be the job of the AD to know who can/can't fix something and why it would be smart to find someone who could be that person to assist. 

I do agree, the asking for feedback can be fixed simply just by doing things on here or directing feedback directly to people who should be alerted to it.. I'm going to say GMG.com is not a huge % of the fan base, but it likely makes up some of the most committed of the fan base that could help fix many/some issues. 

9 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Everyone in the AD knows about gomeangreen.com.  It's the only major outlet for fans of this program to congregate online and discuss North Texas.  That said, it's basically an internet sports bar.  This isn't the forum for communicating officially through the AD.  Harry and Co are often happy to post and help promote student/fan/alumni events or pass along officially communicated information directed to them from the Athletics Department/Alumni Association/Other University Departments as owners/administrators of this site.  I know from personal experience and have always appreciated their support.  

Also, as usual, @UNT 90 Grad is spot on with his response.

Not everyone knows... I know this first hand.. I've brought it up as a way of being used as a way to market things from events, promotions, gather data and information, and a way to give away free stuff.  Yes GMG.com can be used  ALOT better by the entire athletic department, and I think everyone is aware of what Harry and others do, but they can only do so much.. It shouldn't be someone gets a email and they then post it on here, it should be the department posts on here to get the message out... I would say 99.9% of us on this board have some connection to UNT with us being students/alumni/ etc.. Use this as a way to reach out to people, its free and you know the target audience here is for UNT. 

28 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I would say the AD is aware of GMG but don't read it, same way famous athletes don't read troll tweets. 

Mentioning it gets an immediate eye roll that's for sure though.

He has said he came on here 1 time before he got the gig, so he is aware of and I'm sure others personal are such as Hank, Clapper, etc are aware of it as well.. I wouldn't fight that and I don't think any else would, but the argument is about the amount of information that is known between them in terms of what is posted on here..

If they are aware of it, they are doing a terrible job in terms of using GMG.com as a tool because many people have no idea about it (or claim to not know about it). 

• Thanks 1

internet and social media is a good way of getting a feel for something, but it should not be the most important part of your decision making process.  messgage boards/twitter/facebook/instagram is not a majority feeling of fans of something or hatred of something.  here's a good article by clay travis discussing this very thing

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/all-that-and-a-bag-of-mail-11/

should the AD pay attention to this site...certainly, but they should not be making major decisions based upon social media

• Upvote 3