Donald Trump Jr. To Be Part Of Kuehne Series

Love me or Hate me but I am a Republican and I honestly dont know what Skins DT jr has on the walls if any and its weird they chose him to speak but they did. Maybe they are having him to give an inside path to Trump prior to the presidency but Hell, who knows.

Rudy Giuliani spoke at last years Kuehne Series and no one batted an eye at it. Giuliani is a  republican. 

https://news.unt.edu/news-releases/unt-begin-2016-17-kuehne-speaker-series-rudy-giuliani-discussing-leadership-crisis

http://kuehneseries.unt.edu/past-speakers

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Just not really the best option for a "conservative" speaker.   The current political climate does not lend him any favors.
Also, why move it off-campus?

For their sake I think it's best to not have it on campus as it just wouldn't go well.  As for a conservative option he's not really a good option as a speaker period.  I too am open minded and willing to give someone a chance to talk but we've seen this guy for several months and he's got a big bag of nothing.

1 minute ago, Withers940 said:

Love me or Hate me but I am a Republican and I honestly dont know what Skins DT jr has on the walls if any and its weird they chose him to speak but they did. Maybe they are having him to give an inside path to Trump prior to the presidency but Hell, who knows.

Rudy Giuliani spoke at last years Kuehne Series and no one batted an eye at it. Giuliani is a  republican. 

https://news.unt.edu/news-releases/unt-begin-2016-17-kuehne-speaker-series-rudy-giuliani-discussing-leadership-crisis

I attended the Giuliani event and this was the time when he was on Fox News almost every day during the campaigns and there was some caution from some people for I spoke to for obvious reasons but as you said at the very least he had skins on the wall so it was fine. 

• Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Like the poster above me said, giuliani was a two term mayor of the nation's largest city and happened to serve during one of the worst tragedies in American history, former presidential candidate, and attorney general. There have also been some interesting generals spoken too. With all the hate in the USA (esp. after Charlottesville), is bringing Trump Jr in really a smart move for a university that struggles for relevance even in Texas? Poor move by Kuehne and it sucks UNT has to have our name on this 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Giuliani was the Mayor of NYC during one of the most catastrophic events in American history.  He was the face of unity and pride for that city.  Of course he would have something to offer an audience.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Also, why move it off-campus?

Kuehne Series speakers have always been off campus. Usually at the Anatole.  This one seems to be taking place at AT&T Stadium.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, Green P1 said:

Equate the life experience of said Trump in question and the "Clintons" you reference please. 

Perhaps it is Chelsea Clinton's life experiences one must compare this to when she went out on the speaking tour.  I wondered the same thing...what the heck? If her name wasn't Clinton she wouldn't be speaking since she has no experience.  So, I guess not that odd to see Presidents' kids on the speaking tour.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

This.  He just doesn't create much interest.

Perhaps for some.

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

The question is, "were they embroiled in a media firestorm when scheduled to speak?".

Im all for conservative speakers but not ones that are being protested daily.

The alt left would protest anyone to the right of Mr. Peppermint. The Frikin Nazi.

4 hours ago, Withers940 said:

I feel like I didnt say This

I'm quite sure many of us are unaware of Don Jr's accomplishments. Is he influential and informative? I'm sure he is.

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

The question is, "were they embroiled in a media firestorm when scheduled to speak?".

Im all for conservative speakers but not ones that are being protested daily.

Tell me one conservative today who wouldn't be protested by the un-informed.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 6

Chris hit the nail on the head. 

Our BOR head is personal friends and an advisor to Trump on taxes. He set this up to happen. The school has been lobbying against it for awhile as most would if given the choice. Admin, staff, fundraisers, students - none of them want this to happen.

Talking to some of the brass they were trying to get Jerry Jones or Jason Garrett before things went south.

Its unfortunate that the series has morphed from "national security" to polarizing conservatives. It is a shame because you would think donors would want to bring positive press rather than negative. Unfortunately this seems to be a case of donors helping themselves which is counter to what we need.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Perhaps it is Chelsea Clinton's life experiences one must compare this to when she went out on the speaking tour.  I wondered the same thing...what the heck? If her name wasn't Clinton she wouldn't be speaking since she has no experience.  So, I guess not that odd to see Presidents' kids on the speaking tour.

I wouldn't care all that much for seeing Chelsea speak either.  That said I don't think it's a reach to question the decision to pick junior and have UNT displayed all over the series.  Hey it's Ernie's money and he's more than free to do what he wishes but the fact that UNT is associated with it in some way or another is what I care about.

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

I'm quite sure many of us are unaware of Don Jr's accomplishments. Is he influential and informative? I'm sure he is.

Tell me one conservative today who wouldn't be protested by the un-informed.

We've seen junior be on tv and talk for a while now and I just don't see that he has anything at all to offer.  

You can thank Trump and clan for that.  Again before Trump came into the picture I"m not saying everything was rosy and perfect but it wasn't what it is today and has become and far more normal.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

You guys are funny. Let a transgender liberal be part of a UNT sponsored lecture series and paid for with student fees and university funds, and everyone is lovin' it like flies on dodo. Let a conservative speaker be part of a lecture series held off campus using 100% private funds and you would think ISIS just blew up Apogee!  Amazing display of double standards.  

Me, I am just fine with both, either or none. They are speakers, go, learn something, keep an open mind...or not.  All about choices folks.  Personal choices. You make 'em, you live with 'em! 

Like all the Lecture Series speakers, I am most certain this will be another sell out crowd.  Might be interesting to witness the security around AT&T stadium if nothing else.

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 8

31 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

You guys are funny. Let a transgender liberal be part of a UNT sponsored lecture series and paid for with student fees and university funds, and everyone is lovin' it like flies on dodo. Let a conservative speaker be part of a lecture series held off campus using 100% private funds and you would think ISIS just blew up Apogee!  Amazing display of double standards.  

Me, I am just fine with both, either or none. They are speakers, go, learn something, keep an open mind...or not.  All about choices folks.  Personal choices. You make 'em, you live with 'em! 

Like all the Lecture Series speakers, I am most certain this will be another sell out crowd.  Might be interesting to witness the security around AT&T stadium if nothing else.

Not so fast my friend!

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Thank God UNT has decided to go with a scientist/engineer as the new Chancellor instead of some liberal arts theoretical type. UNT is heading for a culture change that is talked about and much needed. Hopefully.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

Thank God UNT has decided to go with a scientist/engineer as the new Chancellor instead of some liberal arts theoretical type. UNT is heading for a culture change that is talked about and much needed. Hopefully.

Already started.  Big changes all over campus from Deans to Department heads to the hiring of some pretty special new professors.  Plus, emphasis on fund raising now permeates down from the Prez to professors.  Lots of new alliances (see Dallas Cowboys), incrediable amount of new media pieces and uses of social media, new facility in Frisco and hearing another is coming.....and....a Prez that gets athletics!  Yep...the cosmic shift has already started and it is only going to get better! 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

Already started.  Big changes all over campus from Deans to Department heads to the hiring of some pretty special new professors.  Plus, emphasis on fund raising now permeates down from the Prez to professors.  Lots of new alliances (see Dallas Cowboys), incrediable amount of new media pieces and uses of social media, new facility in Frisco and hearing another is coming.....and....a Prez that gets athletics!  Yep...the cosmic shift has already started and it is only going to get better! 

After more than 30 years, the sleeping giant has awakened.

• Upvote 2

On 8/17/2017 at 3:43 PM, xyresic said:

Chris hit the nail on the head. 

Our BOR head is personal friends and an advisor to Trump on taxes. He set this up to happen. The school has been lobbying against it for awhile as most would if given the choice. Admin, staff, fundraisers, students - none of them want this to happen.

Talking to some of the brass they were trying to get Jerry Jones or Jason Garrett before things went south.

Its unfortunate that the series has morphed from "national security" to polarizing conservatives. It is a shame because you would think donors would want to bring positive press rather than negative. Unfortunately this seems to be a case of donors helping themselves which is counter to what we need.

I'm figuring you didn't mean all students/admin/staff/fundraisers... I know of plenty of students that voted for Trump over HRC...

• Upvote 3

You are right - to better state things: most didn't want the contoversy this would bring. My point was simply that it is one thing for him to speak in Dallas to a group, but the school isn't deriving any benefit from attaching their name to the event. 

Interstingly enough the venue doesn't want their name publicly linked to this.  I've also heard the namesake of the event is having second thoughts, although the original force behind it hasn't had a change of heart.

I find the distinguished lecture series speakers the students help to select to be not only more diverse, but also more interesting. I think this lecture series could benefit by having a deeper bench help with future selections if they are going to use the UNT name.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

Prove it

Lmao yea let me take a poll.. 

14 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

If theyre going conservative, I wish they would've thought to bring Mitt Romney. he would've been interesting.

You mean the same Mitt Romney that talked about the threat of Russia and he was laughed at? 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Lmao yea let me take a poll.. 

You mean the same Mitt Romney that talked about the threat of Russia and he was laughed at? 

Yep. The same one who was governor of massachusetts, a two time presidential candidate, a legitimate businessman, overall good moral character, and could be really interesting to listen... ESPECIALLY since he made that prediction

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 8/17/2017 at 9:36 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

The only people who could learn something from Trump Jr are those in the audience that are firstborn to multi-millionaires.   He has no legs to stand on when speaking to "hard work", or "pulling yourself up from your bootstraps".

Sounds more like a solid speaker for a SMU lecture series.

He was an aid on a successful presidential campaign that overcame 17 other republican candidates and beat the selected candidate to follow Obama... 

Are these speeches meant to be for "hard-working, pull yourself up by your bootstrap" people or influencial boosters?

On 8/16/2017 at 8:28 PM, meangreenacct said:

I'm all for having a diversity in terms of views, backgrounds, life experiences of speakers in events associated with UNT. For the life of me though, what has Trump Junior done to even remotely be worthwhile to have a place in a speaker series?

He was an aid to his fathers run for president and has pitched in helping other Republicans in special elections... 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

On 8/17/2017 at 4:35 PM, Green Mean said:

I wouldn't care all that much for seeing Chelsea speak either.  That said I don't think it's a reach to question the decision to pick junior and have UNT displayed all over the series.  Hey it's Ernie's money and he's more than free to do what he wishes but the fact that UNT is associated with it in some way or another is what I care about.

We've seen junior be on tv and talk for a while now and I just don't see that he has anything at all to offer.  

You can thank Trump and clan for that.  Again before Trump came into the picture I"m not saying everything was rosy and perfect but it wasn't what it is today and has become and far more normal.  

Right. Neither seem to have much besides coattail riding on their resumes, and beyond that, Clinton just barely more than Trump JR. There are other, actual, business magnates we could invite.