Does TheWren Check GMG?

AustinFromUNT

If Baker is being truthful, he is not as smart as I thought.  

Why wouldn't any AD check their fan site often?  I can't believe anyone in that position would not want to know what their most ardent fans think.   He may not agree with much of anything and think most of us are sports idiots, but I would think it is actually part of his job to try to follow the fan base.  

Baker's tweet did nothing to enhance my opinion of him.   I don't believe that he can't eke out a few minutes of his busy work week to check in on his fan base.   There is only one reason for him to not spend that time and that is he doesn't want to read criticism and that is not a good trait for a leader. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 11

Are you people serious?  You expect a CEO to sit down behind a PC and personally read every message that fans post on here?   I'd say that CEO has way too much time on his hands.  I'm not saying the Athletic Department shouldn't hear what his fans have to say;  maybe he could get an intern to monitor fans' feelings, ideas, and general thoughts on all things Athletics.

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Are you people serious?  You expect a CEO to sit down behind a PC and personally read every message that fans post on here?   I'd say that CEO has way too much time on his hands.  I'm not saying the Athletic Department shouldn't hear what his fans have to say;  maybe he could get an intern to monitor fans' feelings, ideas, and general thoughts on all things Athletics.

^^^ This! Just because he doesn't personally check to board doesn't mean he doesn't have others do so. Even then, I'll be they don't take the time to read every thread. 

I'm pleased he did take the time to read the board as part of his do diligence before accepting the job. 

I've emailed him twice on minor concerns and gotten responses in a reasonable amount of time to both. Not instant, but within a few days. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Apparently you are referring to my post and I never stated anything about reading every post, in fact I make it clear that is not what I was inferring ( see the few minutes a week reference}.      He said he never has read this board since he started to work.   Apparently, a lot of people seem to think that being aware of his customers' views is either not essential to his job, or that his time is to valuable to spend anytime on personally viewing those opinions.  

Baker to his great credit takes the time to respond to individual emails and tweets.   This just seems to me to be in complete contrast to not reviewing a board that is almost entirely about his department's activities.  I don't expect or think it is appropriate for him to every post on this site.   

Has he ever done an interview that was posted on this site?  I actually can't remember.  If he has or does, it seems to me a little strange if he doesn't listen to it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Why wouldn't any AD check their fan site often?  I can't believe anyone in that position would not want to know what their most ardent fans think.   He may not agree with much of anything and think most of us are sports idiots, but I would think it is actually part of his job to try to follow the fan base.  

Baker's tweet did nothing to enhance my opinion of him.   I don't believe that he can't eke out a few minutes of his busy work week to check in on his fan base.   There is only one reason for him to not spend that time and that is he doesn't want to read criticism and that is not a good trait for a leader. 

I have a lot of acquaintances that are fans and none of them have been  on this site or even heard of it. I think a small handful of fans frequent the board, most fans get there fix other ways.

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Most of us aren't just sports idiots, we are idiots in general.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

I have a lot of acquaintances that are fans and none of them have been  on this site or even heard of it. I think a small handful of fans frequent the board, most fans get there fix other ways.

Most of us aren't just sports idiots, we are idiots in general.

Ok, what is a better source of information pertaining to fans concerns,  thoughts, etc.?    One to one contact is obviously better but that is very time consuming and the AD would never get the sample he would on a typical fan message board.   The numbers represented on a fan board may be small compared to the overall fan base, but it provides a great cross section of fandom opinion. 

No comment on your last statement.  

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Baker checking this board would be the biggest waste of time i can imagine. Hell, us checking this board is generally a colossal waste of time. 

Organizations spend a lot of money on trying to capture their customer's views, but I guess that is a colossal waste of time.  

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Why would he heck here when people tweet at him and replies that way... The AD office though should open up a spot even a part time job or an additional duty to have someone interact and bring issues posted here to him, I think. Also would provide insight into some issues that need to be fixed on gameday, etc as well that he can control

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Why would he heck here when people tweet at him and replies that way... The AD office though should open up a spot even a part time job or an additional duty to have someone interact and bring issues posted here to him, I think. Also would provide insight into some issues that need to be fixed on gameday, etc as well that he can control

I am in a posting mode, so I am actually going to attempt to answer.  

Because many others and I express our views on NT athletics on this medium.  

It is not about me communicating directly with Mr. Baker about some issue that is not the purpose of this board.  

However like many others on this board, I have spent a lot of time and money over a lot of decades supporting the Mean Green.  It seems to me that an AD would like to know what we think about a variety of issues.  

To say that he has only once visited the board while doing background on NT is incredible to me.   Wonder why he thought it worth a view in doing due diligence, but is not worth the effort now.   

I will be ecstatic with Mr. Baker if he accomplishes building the kind of program we all want.  I just wonder why he doesn't use what should be a great tool for him in assessing his fan base. 

• Lovely Take 2

Do you think someone that donates $50 deserves to be listened to as much as someone that donates $1000? 

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

99.37% of the postings on this board are complete and utter gibberish. Yes, that includes my stupid nonsense as well. Go back and read some of the irrational crap that gets discussed here and you will understand why WB and staff should stay clear of this constant circle jerk.

53 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Wonder why he thought it worth a view in doing due diligence, but is not worth the effort now.   

Like I stated before, nothing of decent substance comes from this forum. It took him one visit to understand our lack of understanding in many areas.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I am in a posting mode, so I am actually going to attempt to answer.  

Because many others and I express our views on NT athletics on this medium.  

It is not about me communicating directly with Mr. Baker about some issue that is not the purpose of this board.  

However like many others on this board, I have spent a lot of time and money over a lot of decades supporting the Mean Green.  It seems to me that an AD would like to know what we think about a variety of issues.  

To say that he has only once visited the board while doing background on NT is incredible to me.   Wonder why he thought it worth a view in doing due diligence, but is not worth the effort now.   

I will be ecstatic with Mr. Baker if he accomplishes building the kind of program we all want.  I just wonder why he doesn't use what should be a great tool for him in assessing his fan base. 

You point that you have spent money on the program, and that is great but posting here is not going to do a damn thing... 

you want to have someone hear your 2 cents, email someone in the damn office.. WB may not get back to you right away but he will eventually.. I've traded emails and that with him and he was replying back to me at 9-10-11 pm at night.. you want input or something fixed, contact him.. you think other bars in the area call the marketing department, I know personal we (UNT AD office) has hundreds and possibly thosands of giant posters waiting to be given out.. literally drove around on Friday dumping boxes of them off on campus and off campus at apartment complex.. they likely would be more than willing to give u some for you to handout and even take someone place to be given out.. 

again this a fan site, not a place to get things fixed. Call the office and talk to someone, email the man and have an conversation and trade ideas or thoughts because posting here you are only talking us and not someone who can change a damn thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

You point that you have spent money on the program, and that is great but posting here is not going to do a damn thing... 

you want to have someone hear your 2 cents, email someone in the damn office.. WB may not get back to you right away but he will eventually.. I've traded emails and that with him and he was replying back to me at 9-10-11 pm at night.. you want input or something fixed, contact him.. you think other bars in the area call the marketing department, I know personal we (UNT AD office) has hundreds and possibly thosands of giant posters waiting to be given out.. literally drove around on Friday dumping boxes of them off on campus and off campus at apartment complex.. they likely would be more than willing to give u some for you to handout and even take someone place to be given out.. 

again this a fan site, not a place to get things fixed. Call the office and talk to someone, email the man and have an conversation and trade ideas or thoughts because posting here you are only talking us and not someone who can change a damn thing.

A quote from the comments you are responding to: 

"It is not about me communicating directly with Mr. Baker about some issue that is not the purpose of this board."   

I can't make it any more plainer than that.  I am not interested in communicating anything to the AD via this board.  I just believe that it is a big part of his job is to understand his customers and I can't think of a better or easier way to do that than to spend a minimum of time scanning this board.   I guess this must be a hard concept to grasp. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I can't make it any more plainer than that.  I am not interested in communicating anything to the AD via this board.  I just believe that it is a big part of his job is to understand his customers and I can't think of a better or easier way to do that than to spend a minimum of time scanning this board.   I guess this must be a hard concept to grasp. 

You say it is his job to understand customers, but he is not going to come on a fan board... He has way to much going on...

Yes he should come on here and scan the site but again, all or most of us have already bought into UNT so why would he have to sale any of us on the product when we are already bought in? I would rather him go out there and find new ways to keep alumni connected that are on the fence than improving on a group of fans that are here for the long run and such a small portion of the alumni base...

Honestly the things that he would see on here that we complain about are things like Uniform releases, and people saying he is RV because he hasn't produced a master plan in the less than 1 year he has been here... People crying about the staffs ability to recruit, and how our fanbase has already rolled over on multiple recruits picking up offers from other programs.. All things that he can't control, so him coming on here would be pointless.. 

Again, this may not have anything to do with you, if anyone has any ideas or suggestion talk to him.. Not here.. Yes posting here may end up with someone else sending in the idea or suggestion but why not yourself and find out the explanation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/11/2017 at 9:48 PM, Got5onIt said:

The nickname keeps him away.

He's been given the worst nickname ever on this GMG site which is an amazing feet considering some of the nicknames that have come through here over the  years....

It's for sure the Crappy Scrappy of nicknames.  "Hey!  His name is a kind of bird!  Lets put "The" in front of it!!!"

"TheWren"....  almost makes "The Jimmy Show" sound cool.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

It's for sure the Crappy Scrappy of nicknames.  "Hey!  His name is a kind of bird!  Lets put "The" in front of it!!!"

"TheWren"....  almost makes "The Jimmy Show" sound cool.

LOL! Oh yeah, The Jimmy Show is up there with TheWren...

• Haha 1