Helmet Flag Banner Outreach Committee

NM Green

Is there an effort from the street outreach team to get our logo and name into sports bar in dfw?  I bet we could on this board generate a list of bars who need North Texas stuff for their bars.

I'm currently watching the Man U game and that team from somewhere in Spain play.  I'm at Henderson Tap House and surrounding my tvs are helmets from smu Iowa state South Carolina old dominion Troy and VCU.  I see banners in the ceilings from Michigan state smu auburn Louisville k state and Arkansas.  There is space to insert a North Texas helmet.  

Im just saying get people ready for the season.  I've got two who need gear Lakewood First and Ten and Henderson Tap House.  And I haven't even begun to scrub uptown.  

Send in students with a gift basket and department rep to get good placement.  May as well get people ready for the Next Big  Thing.  

Go Mean Green!!!!!   

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NM Green said:

Is there an effort from the street outreach team to get our logo and name into sports bar in dfw?  I bet we could on this board generate a list of bars who need North Texas stuff for their bars.

I'm currently watching the Man U game and that team from somewhere in Spain play.  I'm at Henderson Tap House and surrounding my tvs are helmets from smu Iowa state South Carolina old dominion Troy and VCU.  I see banners in the ceilings from Michigan state smu auburn Louisville k state and Arkansas.  There is space to insert a North Texas helmet.  

Im just saying get people ready for the season.  I've got two who need gear Lakewood First and Ten and Henderson Tap House.  And I haven't even begun to scrub uptown.  

Send in students with a gift basket and department rep to get good placement.  May as well get people ready for the Next Big  Thing.  

Go Mean Green!!!!!   

I am right there with you. The other night, I had a function at the Dave and Busters in Frisco. You know, Frisco, the town where we have a branch starting called UNT-Frisco? There, inside the area across from the bar, on the walls, they have all of the pro teams in DFW listed, as well as the following colleges: UT, A&M, Tech, OU, OSU, Baylor, TCU, and SMU.

We are simply viewed as a music/fine arts/educator's/place-to-get-a-value-degree by most of the Metroplex. That is why you place emphasis on sports to advertise your school--it brings in eyeballs and dollars for the ENTIRE school. How everybody else knows this and we either don't know or just flat out won't accept it is mind-boggling. And we wonder how Apathy can ever  be defeated here...

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

We are simply viewed as a music/fine arts/educator's/place-to-get-a-value-degree by most of the Metroplex. That is why you place emphasis on sports to advertise your school--it brings in eyeballs and dollars for the ENTIRE school. How everybody else knows this and we either don't know or just flat out won't accept it is mind-boggling. And we wonder how Apathy can ever  be defeated here...

IT'S BECA- ahem. It's because we're not good at football. That's it. Kept bad administration, hired bad coaches, produced a bad product.

Not the weird education excuse you're taking it out on.

We have pumped literal millions into it. People have donated literal millions.

That's not apathy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, Aldo said:

IT'S BECA- ahem. It's because we're not good at football. That's it. Kept bad administration, hired bad coaches, produced a bad product.

That's not apathy.

So has everyone else...for a much longer time.

If you don 't think apathy is the true killer here,  you've told me all I need to know...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

I am right there with you. The other night, I had a function at the Dave and Busters in Frisco. You know, Frisco, the town where we have a branch starting called UNT-Frisco? There, inside the area across from the bar, on the walls, they have all of the pro teams in DFW listed, as well as the following colleges: UT, A&M, Tech, OU, OSU, Baylor, TCU, and SMU.

Yeah, but you were at Dave & Busters, where douchbaggery is expected.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

Yes, I get it we have suxed for decades.  I've seen a lot of rough years.  

However, I'm not interested in where we have been. I am interested in where we are going and action is required.  I also do not have to diss what the Athletic Department and Wren are doing to come up with a new idea.  Call this the Alumni Street Gang or Mean Green Outreach Project.  I do not see the bar owner at Henderson Tap House turning down a Mean Green flag for the ceiling or helmet to go in one of the empty spaces on the shelf.  There are a lot of bar owners who would gladly accept visual gifts to enhance their bar.  Further our look and scheme has only gotten slicker and more interesting.  

This really should be a full year effort, so perhaps we start getting people made aware of Mean Green Hoops.  However, it requires an action plan, resources, a target list and to Cerebus' goal - an accountability report going full circle showing when and where these items get placed.  Use our numbers as leverage and explain that in exchange for gear placement we will highlight them as a Mean Green Backer at Alumni Association Update meetings and perhaps in some flash marketing pieces inside the stadium.  

I will personally hit a sports bar that supports my school even if it is one time, perhaps the bar is far from where I live.  The Mean Green Nation must muscle our way up to the table and we need to make sure we don't leave powerful tools laying on the cutting room floor.  If the ODU and Troy helmets are good enough for one of the most popular sports in Dallas, a rocking Mean Green SOW helmet is plenty ready to take its rightful place.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, NM Green said:

Yes, I get it we have suxed for decades.  I've seen a lot of rough years.  

However, I'm not interested in where we have been. I am interested in where we are going and action is required.  I also do not have to diss what the Athletic Department and Wren are doing to come up with a new idea.  Call this the Alumni Street Gang or Mean Green Outreach Project.  I do not see the bar owner at Henderson Tap House turning down a Mean Green flag for the ceiling or helmet to go in one of the empty spaces on the shelf.  There are a lot of bar owners who would gladly accept visual gifts to enhance their bar.  Further our look and scheme has only gotten slicker and more interesting.  

This really should be a full year effort, so perhaps we start getting people made aware of Mean Green Hoops.  However, it requires an action plan, resources, a target list and to Cerebus' goal - an accountability report going full circle showing when and where these items get placed.  Use our numbers as leverage and explain that in exchange for gear placement we will highlight them as a Mean Green Backer at Alumni Association Update meetings and perhaps in some flash marketing pieces inside the stadium.  

I will personally hit a sports bar that supports my school even if it is one time, perhaps the bar is far from where I live.  The Mean Green Nation must muscle our way up to the table and we need to make sure we don't leave powerful tools laying on the cutting room floor.  If the ODU and Troy helmets are good enough for one of the most popular sports in Dallas, a rocking Mean Green SOW helmet is plenty ready to take its rightful place.

GMG

Maybe they're waiting for the new uni/helmet announcement before they start putting stuff on the streets 🤔

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Aldo said:

That's not apathy.

This is exactly right.  Want one tiny example?  Look no further than the first paragraph in Hank's current bio on MGS.

.http://www.meangreensports.com/genrel/hank_dickenson_848240.html

Hank Dickenson begins his 23rd season with the Mean Green in 2016. In his administrative role as the Deputy Athletic Director, Dickenson serves as the Mean Green’s number two administrator and is responsible for day-to-day operations in the Athletic Director’s absence. He currently holds the role of Acting Athletic Director during a national search process

Sure, it's a small, incorrect error.  But it's on the bio of a top administrator that is over a year old and one of countless others that over time start to pile up. 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

So has everyone else...for a much longer time.

If you don 't think apathy is the true killer here,  you've told me all I need to know...

And what's created apathy?  There is a clear and direct correlation to all this.  No matter what, it's almost impossible to get taken seriously from the general public if you don't a darn thing in athletics.  We could fill every bar and restaurant with NT gear and I'd be all for that but nobody will give a rip if we continue to suck.  Perpetual losers don't create pride, tradition and pageantry which some folks on here always speak of.

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Sure, it's a small, incorrect error.  But it's on the bio of a top administrator that is over a year old and one of countless others that over time start to pile up. 

Rick

I do agree tiny things like this should be and can be fixed easily.. These tiny errors aren't major things but they add up and don't show an organization that is up to date.

I can understand if this was an error of just a few weeks ago, but it has been a year.

16 hours ago, Aldo said:

That's not apathy.

if that were the case, there wouldn't be a SMU helmet anywhere.

45 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Then explain the SMU helmets in local watering holes?

SMU has that connection and history going back to the SWC and that perception has always been there.  SMU's old guard and alumni is still going super strong but they've been so bad nobody goes to their games either and their newer alums are quite apathetic.

Their recent basketball success is probably changing things but let's not act like losing and irrelevance don't create apathy.

• Confused 1